New Smartphone Based Colorimetric Method Development and Validation of Drugs Containing Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Sulphur
Colorimetry is a method for determining the concentration of coloured substances in a solution. The intensity of colour is directly proportional to the concentration of compound being measured. Smartphone based colorimetry has grown in popularity as analytical instruments due to their low cost and ability to collect, store and process data all in one device. In smartphone colorimetry, the camera on the phone serves as a detector. The colorimetric method based on a smartphone and the UV method both are based on the detection of colour intensity. The ammonium metavanadate is having different oxidation states and it produce different colours in its oxidation state. The +5-oxidation state shows yellow colour, +4 oxidation state shows blue colour, +3 oxidation state shows green colour and +2 oxidation state shows purple colour. The ammonium metavanadate reagent is orange red in colour; however, it transforms into green colour complex when it reacts with drugs containing nitrogen, phosphorus and sulphur in its structure. In this article the developed method for all the drugs exhibits good linearity having Correlation coefficient about 0.998(Amoxicillin trihydrate), 0.998 (Silodosin) and for 0.999(Sofosbuvir). With increasing the concentrations of API, the colour intensity increases. All photographs were taken with smartphone and analysed using the photometrix PRO software. This application converts an image to an RGB histogram and regression models are included into the photometrix PRO application. By using Photometrix PRO and UV technique, the percent RSD of for all the three drugs was Using statistical tool i.e two paired test on both procedures for all the three different drugs, the results show that both are equally significant.
Keywords: UV spectrophotometry, Smartphone based colorimetry, Photometrix PRO, RGB Histogram
2. Akhavan BJ, Khanna NR, Vijhani P. Amoxicillin. 2022.
3. Tavakoli N, Varshosaz J, Dorkoosh F, Zargarzadeh MR. Development and validation of a simple HPLC method for simultaneous in vitro determination of amoxicillin and metronidazole at single wavelength. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis. 2007 Jan; 43(1):325-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpba.2006.06.002
4. Beg S, Kohli K, Swain S, Hasnain MS. Development and validation of rp-hplc method for quantitation of amoxicillin trihydrate in bulk and pharmaceutical formulations using box-behnken experimental design. Journal of Liquid Chromatography & Related TechnologiesS. 2012 Feb 7; 35(3):393-406. https://doi.org/10.1080/10826076.2011.601493
5. Douša M, Hosmanová R. Rapid determination of amoxicillin in premixes by HPLC. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis. 2005 Feb; 37(2):373-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpba.2004.10.010
6. P.Shanmugasundaram* Rkrjmgdmarm and MVA. HPLC of AMX and Flucloxacillin. Rasayan Journal. 2009; 2(1):57-60.
7. Tiwari G TRSBRAPK. Simultaneus estimation of metronidazole and amoxicillin. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2008; 1(2):91-4.
8. Gülfen M, Canbaz Y, Özdemir A. Simultaneous Determination of Amoxicillin, Lansoprazole, and Levofloxacin in Pharmaceuticals by HPLC with UV-Vis Detector. Journal of Analysis and Testing. 2020 Jan 21; 4(1):45-53. https://doi.org/10.1007/s41664-020-00121-4
9. El-Shafie FS, Gad-Kariem EA, Al-Rashood KA, Al-Khamees HA, El-Obeid HA. Colorimetric Method for the Determination of Ampicillin and Amoxicillin. Analytical Letters. 1996 Feb; 29(3):381-93. https://doi.org/10.1080/00032719608000405
10. Aljeboree AM, Noor Alshirifi A. Colorimetric determination of Amoxicillin using 4-Aminoantipyrine and the effects of different parameters. Journal of Physics: Conference Series. 2019 Sep 1; 1294(5):052067. https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/1294/5/052067
11. El-Obeid HA, Gad-Kariem EA, Al-Rashood KA, Al-Khamees HA, El-Shafie FS, Bawazeer GAM. A Selective Colorimetric Method for the Determination of Penicillins and Cephalosporins with α-Aminoacyl Functions. Analytical Letters. 1999 Jan; 32(14):2809-23. https://doi.org/10.1080/00032719908543008
12. M.V. Dhoka, VTG, PPJ. HPTLC Determination of Amoxicillin Trihydrate and Bromhexine. Journal of pharmaceutical sciences and research. 2010; 2(8):477-84.
13. Zeng B, Gu Y, Nguyen K, Sherma J. Development of quantitative HPTLC-densitometry methods following a model process for transfer of TLC screening methods for pharmaceutical products containing moxifloxacin HCl, ofloxacin, amoxicillin trihydrate, acetylsalicylic acid + acetaminophen + caffeine, nimesulide, irbesartan, and pantoprazole. Journal of Liquid Chromatography & Related Technologies. 2019 Jun 15; 42(9-10):324-9. https://doi.org/10.1080/10826076.2019.1585609
14. Naguib IA, Abdelaleem EA, Zaazaa HE, Hussein EA, Alsalahat I. Development and Validation of Spectrophotometric Methods for the Determination of Amoxicillin trihydrate and Dicloxacillin sodium in Their Binary Mixture. Analytical Chemistry Letters. 2018 Nov 2; 8(6):844-61. https://doi.org/10.1080/22297928.2018.1476178
15. Montorsi F. Profile of Silodosin. European Urology Supplements. 2010 Jul; 9(4):491-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eursup.2010.04.001
16. Er E, Erk N. An effective and sensitive stability-indicating chromatographic approach based on HPLC for silodosin assay. Journal of Analytical Science and Technology. 2016 Dec 17; 7(1):20. https://doi.org/10.1186/s40543-016-0100-y
17. Boltia SA, Abdelkawy M, Mohamed TA, Mostafa NN. Validated Chromatographic and Spectrofluorimetric Methods for Analysis of Silodosin: A Comparative Study with Application of RP-HPLC in the Kinetic Investigation of Silodosin Degradation. Journal of AOAC INTERNATIONAL. 2020 Jul 1; 103(4):946-57. https://doi.org/10.1093/jaoacint/qsz045
18. Yaman ME, Akman TÇ. Optimization of HPLC-FLD Conditions Using Analytical Quality by Design Approach for Quantification of Silodosin in Pharmaceutical Dosage Form. Erzincan Üniversitesi Fen Bilimleri Enstitüsü Dergisi. 2021 Oct 12; https://doi.org/10.18185/erzifbed.955967
19. Aneesh T.P AR. Method development and validation for the estimation of sildosin in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage forms using uv-vis spectrophotometry. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research. 2012 Aug 31; 5(4):150-2.
20. Sulakshana S, Sankar R, vrnrthydr & ep. spectrophotometric method development and comparative study of metformin hcl in api and solid dosage form using uv-spectroscopy. International Journal of Pharmacy and Biological Sciences. 2015 Jun; 5(2):323-30.
21. Padma M, Ganesan S, Jayaseelan T, Azhagumadhavan S, Sasikala P, Senthilkumar S, Phytochemical screening and GC-MS analysis of bioactive compounds present in ethanolic leaves extract of Silybum marianum (L)., Journal of drug delivery and therapeutics 2019; 9 (1):85-89 https://doi.org/10.22270/jddt.v9i1.2174
22. Herbst DA, Reddy KR. Sofosbuvir, a nucleotide polymerase inhibitor, for the treatment of chronic hepatitis C virus infection. Expert Opinion on Investigational Drugs. 2013 Apr; 22(4):527-36. https://doi.org/10.1517/13543784.2013.775246
23. Zaman B, Siddique F, Hassan W. RP-HPLC Method for Simultaneous Determination of Sofosbuvir and Ledipasvir in Tablet Dosage Form and Its Application to In Vitro Dissolution Studies. Chromatographia. 2016 Dec 29; 79(23-24):1605-13. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10337-016-3179-9
24. Mastanamma SK, Chandini SK, Reehana SK, Saidulu P. Development and validation of stability indicating RP-HPLC method for the simultaneous estimation of Sofosbuvir and Ledipasvir in bulk and their combined dosage form. Future Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2018 Dec; 4(2):116-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fjps.2017.11.003
25. Youssef AA, Magdy N, Hussein LA, El-Kosasy AM. Validated RP-HPLC Method for Simultaneous Determination of Ribavirin, Sofosbuvir and Daclatasvir in Human Plasma: A Treatment Protocol Administered to HCV Patients in Egypt. Journal of Chromatographic Science. 2019 Aug 1; 57(7):636-43. https://doi.org/10.1093/chromsci/bmz038
26. Zaman B, Hassan W. Development of Stability Indicating HPLC-UV Method for Determination of Daclatasvir and Characterization of Forced Degradation Products. Chromatographia. 2018 May 12; 81(5):785-97. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10337-018-3503-7
27. Atia NN, El-Shaboury SR, El-Gizawy SM, Abo-Zeid MN. Simultaneous quantitation of two direct acting hepatitis C antivirals (sofosbuvir and daclatasvir) by an HPLC-UV method designated for their pharmacokinetic study in rabbits. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis. 2018 Sep; 158:88-93. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpba.2018.05.028
28. El-Gizawy SM, El-Shaboury SR, Atia NN, Abo-Zeid MN. New, simple and sensitive HPTLC method for simultaneous determination of anti-hepatitis C sofosbuvir and ledipasvir in rabbit plasma. Journal of Chromatography B. 2018 Aug; 1092:432-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jchromb.2018.06.033
29. El-Yazbi AF, Elashkar NE, Abdel-Hay KM, Talaat W, Ahmed HM. Eco-friendly HPTLC method for simultaneous analysis of sofosbuvir and ledipasvir in biological and pharmaceutical samples: Stability indicating study. Microchemical Journal. 2020 May; 154:104584. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.microc.2019.104584
30. Abo-Zeid MN, El-Gizawy SM, Atia NN, El-Shaboury SR. Efficient HPTLC-dual wavelength spectrodensitometric method for simultaneous determination of sofosbuvir and daclatasvir: Biological and pharmaceutical analysis. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis. 2018 Jul; 156:358-65. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpba.2018.04.049
31. Mellon MG. The Role of Spectrophotometry in Colorimetry. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Analytical Edition. 1937 Feb 1; 9(2):51-6. https://doi.org/10.1021/ac50106a001
32. Kajalkar RV GA. Colorimetry Based Calcium Measurement. International Journal of Engineering Research and Development. 2013; 7(8):8-11.
33. Kılıç V, Alankus G, Horzum N, Mutlu AY, Bayram A, Solmaz ME. Single-Image-Referenced Colorimetric Water Quality Detection Using a Smartphone. ACS Omega. 2018 May 31; 3(5):5531-6. https://doi.org/10.1021/acsomega.8b00625
34. da Costa A, Helfer G, Barbosa J, Teixeira I, Santos R, dos Santos R, et al. PhotoMetrix UVC: A New Smartphone-Based Device for Digital Image Colorimetric Analysis Using PLS Regression. J Braz Chem Soc. 2021; https://doi.org/10.21577/0103-5053.20200199
35. Helfer GA, Magnus VS, Böck FC, Teichmann A, Ferrão MF, Costa AB da. PhotoMetrix: An Application for Univariate Calibration and Principal Components Analysis Using Colorimetry on Mobile Devices. J Braz Chem Soc. 2016; https://doi.org/10.5935/0103-5053.20160182
36. Gummadi S, Kommoju M. Colorimetric Approaches To Drug Analysis And Applications â€" A Review. American Journal of PharmTech Research. 2019 Feb 8; 9(1):14-37. https://doi.org/10.46624/ajptr.2019.v9.i1.002
37. Mane Y, Mashru R. New Smartphone Based Colorimetric Method Development and Validation of Emtricitabine in Bulk and Tablet Dosage Form. Journal of Drug Delivery and Therapeutics. 2021 Jul 15; 11(4):35-40. https://doi.org/10.22270/jddt.v11i4.4933
38. S. Roberts. Methods of soil analysis used in the soil testing laboratory at oregon state university. Oregon state; 1978 May.
39. Cavell AJ. The colorimetric determination of phosphorus in plant materials. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture. 1955 Aug; 6(8):479-80. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740060814
40. Joe Murphy. Determination of Phosphoric Acid in Cola Bavarages . Journal of Chemical education. 1983 May; 60(5). https://doi.org/10.1021/ed060p420
41. Yoshida M, Homma Y, Kawabe K. Silodosin, a novel selective α 1A -adrenoceptor selective antagonist for the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia. Expert Opinion on Investigational Drugs. 2007 Dec 28; 16(12):1955-65. https://doi.org/10.1517/135437220.127.116.115
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International (CC BY-NC 4.0). that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).