Transdermal Patch: A Novel Approach for Transdermal Drug Delivery
A self-contained, covert, medicated adhesive patch known as a transdermal patch offers a practical mode of delivery for a range of skin and body problems. Multiple drug administration has several disadvantages including inconvenient administration, the risk of overdose, lack of patient compliance, and drug plasma level fluctuations. Transdermal medication delivery has emerged as a creative means of achieving systemic drug absorption at a predefined rate over an extended period. Its primary benefits are reduced dose frequency, avoiding first-pass metabolism by entering directly into the systemic circulation, suitability for elderly patients who cannot take pharmaceuticals orally, and ability to be self-administered with fewer adverse effects. This review covers general aspects like drug absorption pathways through the skin, the kinetics of drug absorption, different factors affecting the transdermal permeability, various types of transdermal patches, their components, and evaluation parameters. Additionally, some marketed transdermal patches and therapeutic applications of transdermal drug delivery systems have been discussed. Moreover, the article includes various generations of advancements in the transdermal drug delivery system and its future aspect.
Keywords- Transdermal patch, Permeability, Polymer Matrix, Rate Controlling Membrane, Permeation Enhancers.
2. Yadav V, Sipai A, Mamatha Y, Prasantha V, "Transdermal drug delivery: A technical writeup" Journal of Pharmaceutical and Scientific Innovation, 2012; 1(1):5-12.
3. Valecha V, Mathur P, Syan N, Verma S, "Various penetration enhancements techniques in transdermal drug delivery" International Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 2011; 3(2):2373-2401.
4. Keleb E, Sharma RK, Mosa EB, Aljahwi AA, "Transdermal drug delivery system design and evaluation" International journal of advances in pharmaceutical sciences, 2010; 1(3):201-210.
5. Bhowmik DC, Chandira M, Jayakar B, Sampath KP, "Recent Advances In Transdermal Drug Delivery System" International Journal of Pharm Tech Research, 2010; 2(1):68-77.
6. Ramteke KH, Dhole SN, Patil SV, "Transdermal drug delivery system: a review" Journal of Advanced Scientific Research, 2012; 3(1):22-35.
7. Premjeet S, Bilandi A, Sahil K, Akanksha M, Bihani SG, "Transdermal drug delivery system (patches), applications in the present scenario" Int J Res Pharm Chem, 2011; 1(4):1139-51.
8. Patel D, Chaudhary SA, Parmar B, Bhura N, "Transdermal Drug Delivery System: A review" The Pharma Innovation, 2012; 1(4):66-75. https://doi.org/10.31638/IJPRS.V1.I1.00018
9. Shingade G, "Review on Recent Trend on Transdermal Drug Delivery System" Journal of Drug Delivery and Therapeutics, 2012; 2(1):66-75. https://doi.org/10.22270/jddt.v2i1.74
10. Sharma N, Parashar B, Sharma S, Mahajan U, "Blooming pharma industry with transdermal drug delivery system" Indo Global J Pharm Sci, 2012; 2(3):262-78. https://doi.org/10.35652/IGJPS.2012.33
11. Mali AD, Bathe RS, Patil MK, "An updated review on transdermal drug delivery systems" International Journal of Advances in Scientific Research, 2015; 8(9):244. https://doi.org/10.7439/ijasr.v1i6.2243
12. Neupane R, Boddu SH, Abou-Dahech MS, Bachu RD, Terrero D, Babu RJ, Tiwari AK, "Transdermal delivery of chemotherapeutics: Strategies, requirements, and opportunities" Pharmaceutics, 2021; 13(7):960. https://doi.org/10.3390/pharmaceutics13070960
13. Prakash UR, Thiagarajan P, "Transdermal drug delivery systems influencing factors, study methods and therapeutic applications" International Journal of Pharmacy, 2012; 2(2):366-374.
14. Ansel's, "Pharmaceutical Dosages Forms and Drug Delivery Systems" 9th Edition, Walters Kluwer (India) Pvt. Ltd, 2011; 294-311.
15. Lombry C, Dujardin N, Préat V, "Transdermal delivery of macromolecules using skin electroporation" Pharmaceutical research, 2000; 17(1):32-7. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1007510323344
16. Aulton ME, "Pharmaceutics, The Science of Dosage Form Design" 2nd Edition, Elsvier Publisher, 2002; 499-533.
17. Kumar R, Philip A, "Modified transdermal technologies: Breaking the barriers of drug permeation via the skin" Tropical Journal of Pharmaceutical Research, 2007; 6(1):633-44. https://doi.org/10.4314/tjpr.v6i1.14641
18. Sharma N, Agarwal G, Rana AC, Bhat ZA, Kumar D, "A review: transdermal drug delivery system: a tool for novel drug delivery system" International journal of drug development and research, 2011; 3(3):70-84.
19. Anitha SS, "Transdermal Drug Delivery Systems" Research & Reviews: Journal of Pharmaceutics and Nanotechnology, 2016;4(2).
20. Wokovich AM, Prodduturi S, Doub WH, Hussain AS, Buhse LF, "Transdermal drug delivery system (TDDS) adhesion is a critical safety, efficacy and quality attribute" European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, 2006; 64(1):1-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejpb.2006.03.009
21. Tyle P, "Drug Delivery Device" 3rd Edition, New York and Basal, Marcel Dekker, 2003; 417-449.
22. Arunachalam A, Karthikeyan M, Kumar DV, Prathap M, Sethuraman S, Ashutoshkumar S, Manidipa S, "Transdermal drug delivery system: a review" Journal of Current Pharma Research, 2010; 1(1):70. https://doi.org/10.33786/JCPR.2010.v01i01.015
23. Lende LK, Grampurohit ND, Gaikwad DD, Gadhave MV, Jadhav SL, "Transdermal patches: a review" Int. J Pharm Res. Dev, 2011; 4(3):96-103.
24. Walter M, "Transdermal Therapeutic System (TTS) With Fentanyl as Active Ingredient, European Patent, EP, 1418951. 2004.
25. Tsai CJ, Hsu LR, Fang JY, LIN HH, "Chitosan hydrogel as a base for transdermal delivery of berberine and its evaluation in rat skin" Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, 1999; 22(4):397-401. https://doi.org/10.1248/bpb.22.397
26. Guy RH, "Current status and prospects of transdermal drug delivery" Pharmaceutical research, 1996; 13(12):1765-1769. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1016060403438
27. Guy RH, Hadgraft J, Bucks DA, "Transdermal drug delivery and cutaneous metabolism" Xenobiotica, 1987; 17(3):325-343. https://doi.org/10.3109/00498258709043943
28. Boretos JW, Detmer DE, Donachy JH, "Segmented polyurethane: a polyether polymer, II. Two years' experience" Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, 1971; 5(4):373-387. https://doi.org/10.1002/jbm.820050408
29. Shivhare S, Jain AP, Jain T, Vishwakarma R, Vishwakarma P, Prajapati S, Jain A, Formulation, Development and Characterization of Transdermal Patches of Glipizide. International Journal of Medical Sciences and Pharma Research, 2022; 8(3):1-7. https://doi.org/10.22270/ijmspr.v8i3.47
30. Saroha K, Yadav B, Sharma B, "Transdermal patch: A discrete dosage form" Int J Curr Pharm Res, 2011; 3(3):98-108.
31. Parivesh S, Dwivedi S, Dwivedi A, "Design, Evaluation, Parameters and Marketed Products of transdermal patches: A Review" J Pharm Res, 2010; 3(2): 235-240.
32. Sun YM, Huang JJ, Lin FC, Lai JY, "Composite poly (2-hydroxyethyl methacrylate) membranes as rate-controlling barriers for transdermal applications" Biomaterials, 1997 Apr 1; 18(7):527-533. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0142-9612(96)00166-4
33. Kandavilli S, Nair V, Panchagnula R, "Polymers in transdermal drug delivery systems" Pharmaceutical technology, 2002; 26(5):62-81.
34. Jain NK "Controlled and Novel Drug Delivery" First Edition, CBS Publishers and Distributors, New Delhi, 1997; 100-129.
35. Ahmed A, Karki N, Charde R, Charde M, Gandhare B, "Transdermal Drug Delivery Systems: An Overview" International Journal of Biological Advances and Research, 2011; 2:38-56. https://doi.org/10.7439/ijbar.v2i1.21
36. Patani GA, Chien YW. In, Swerbrick, J, Boylon, JC, "Encyclopedia of Pharmaceutical Technology" 1999; 18:317-329.
37. Rao PR, Diwan PV, "Permeability studies of cellulose acetate free films for transdermal use: Influence of plasticizers" Pharmaceutica Acta Helvetiae, 1997; 72(1):47-51. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0031-6865(96)00060-X
38. Tanwar H, Sachdeva R, "Transdermal drug delivery system: A review" International journal of pharmaceutical sciences and research, 2016; 7(6):2274.
39. Patel D, Chaudhary SA, Parmar B, Bhura N, "Transdermal drug delivery system: a review" The pharma innovation, 2012; 1(4):66. https://doi.org/10.31638/IJPRS.V1.I1.00018
40. Sankar V, Johnson DB, Sivan V, Ravich V, Raghuraman S, Velrajan G, Palaniappan R, Rajasekar S, "Design and evaluation of nifedipine transdermal patches" Indian journal of pharmaceutical sciences, 2003; 65(5):510.
41. Verma PR, Iyer SS, "Transdermal delivery of propranolol using mixed grades of Eudragit: design and in vitro and in vivo evaluation" Drug development and industrial pharmacy, 2000; 26(4):471-476. https://doi.org/10.1081/DDC-100101257
42. Arijit D, Sibaji G, Biplab KD, Sudip D, "A novel technique for treating the type ll diabetes by transdermal patches prepared by using multiple polymer complexes" Int J Pharma Res Dev, 2010; 9:195-204.
43. Ubaidulla U, Reddy MV, Ruckmani K, Ahmad FJ, Khar RK, "The transdermal therapeutic system of carvedilol: effect of hydrophilic and hydrophobic matrix on in vitro and in vivo characteristics" Aaps Pharmscitech, 2007; 8(1):13-20. https://doi.org/10.1208/pt0801002
44. Shinde AJ, Garala KC, More HN, "Development and characterization of transdermal therapeutics system of tramadol hydrochloride" Asian Journal of Pharmaceutics (AJP), 2008; 2(4).265-269. https://doi.org/10.4103/0973-8398.45044
45. Sonjoy M, Thimmasetty J, Ratan GN, Kilarimath BH, "Formulation and evaluation of carvedilol transdermal patches" International Research Journal of Pharmacy, 2011; 2(1):237-48.
46. Kumar SR, Jain A, Nayak S, "Development and evaluation of transdermal patches of colchicine" Der Pharmacia Lettre, 2012; 4(1):330-43.
47. Verma S, Ojha A, Transdermal Drug Delivery System: A Review. International Journal of Medical Sciences and Pharma Research, 2018; 4(1):1-9. https://doi.org/10.22270/ijmspr.v4i1.21
48. Kusum Devi V, Saisivam S, Maria GR, Deepti PU, "Design and evaluation of matrix diffusion controlled transdermal patches of verapamil hydrochloride" Drug development and industrial pharmacy, 2003; 29(5):495-503. https://doi.org/10.1081/DDC-120018638
49. Shaila L, Pandey S, Udupa N, "Design and evaluation of matrix type membrane controlled Transdermal drug delivery system of nicotine suitable for use in smoking cessation" Indian Journ. Pharm. Sci, 2006; 68(2):829-831. https://doi.org/10.4103/0250-474X.25711
50. Pandey D, Akhilesh D, Prabhakara P, Kamath J, "Transdermal Drug Delivery System: A Novel Drug Delivery System" International Research Journal of Pharmacy, 2012; 3(5):89-94.
51. Vishvakarma P, Aggrawal S, Sharma R, Sharma S, "Transdermal Drug Delivery System: Review" International Research Journal of Pharmacy, 2012; 23(5):50-53.
52. Wade A, Weller PJ, "Handbook of Pharmaceutical Excipients" Washington DC: American Pharmaceutical Publishing Association, 1994; 362-366.
53. Sood A, Panchagnula R, "Role of dissolution studies in controlled release drug delivery systems" STP pharma sciences, 1999; 9(2):157-168.
54. Panchaguinla, R, "Transdermal Delivery of Drug" Indian Journal of Pharmacology, 1997; 29:140.
55. Sandhyarani G, Madhuri M, Development & Evaluation Of Fast Disintegrating Films And Tablets Of Valsartan. International Journal of Medical Sciences and Pharma Research, 2018; 4(1):17-28. https://doi.org/10.22270/ijmspr.v4i1.23
56. Singh MC, Naik AS, Sawant SD, "Transdermal drug delivery systems with major emphasis on transdermal patches: A review" J Pharm Res, 2010; 3(10):2537-2543.
57. Parivesh S, Sumeet D, Abhishek D, "Design, evaluation, parameters and marketed products of transdermal patches: A review" Journal of Pharmacy Research, 2010; 3(2):235-240.
58. Wiechers J, "Use of chemical penetration enhancers in transdermal drug delivery--possibilities and difficulties" Acta pharmaceutica Nordica, 1992; 4(2):123.
59. Yamamoto T, Katakabe K, Akiyoshi K, Kan K and Asano T, "Topical Application of Glibenclamide Lowers Blood Glucose Levels in Rats. Diabetes Res" Clin. Pract, 1990; 8:19-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/0168-8227(90)90091-7
60. Al-Khamis KI, Davis SS, Hadgraft J, "Microviscosity and drug release from topical gel formulations" Pharmaceutical research, 1986; 3(4):214-7. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1016386613239
61. Shrestha N, Nagasamy VD, Sharma J, "Transdermal drug delivery system: An overview" Int. J. Res. Pharm. Sci, 2012; 3(2):234-241.
62. Ellen JW, "Three Generation: The Past, Present and Future of Transdermal Drug Delivery Systems" FreeCE. Pharmaceutical Education Cosutants, 2011; 1-22.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International (CC BY-NC 4.0). that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).