Phytochemical and Anti-Inflammatory Potential of Anredera cordifolia (Ten): A Review
Objective : Inflammation is a manifestation of the immune response to eliminate antigens from the body. This process will occur until the antigen is eliminated from the body. This inflammatory process can occur locally or systemically. Anredera cordifolia (Ten) has been used as a traditional medicine as a therapy for inflammation, diabetes, kidney failure, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, and others. Therefore, this review aims to provide current information and obtain a comprehensive review of the anti-inflammatory activity of Anredera cordifolia (Ten).
Methods : This review provides evidence in the literature for the phytochemical and anti-inflammatory activity of Anredera cordifolia (Ten), from August 2011-August 2021. Three bibliographic databases were used as the main sources of information (Pubmed, ScienceDirect, and Google scholar). The keywords used in this research are as follows: “Phytochemical”, “anti-inflammatory”, “Bioactive compounds”, “Pharmacology” and “Anredera cordifolia”.
Results: A total of 10 studies were included in this review according to the required criteria, 5 of which were concerning phytochemical and 5 were concerning anti-inflammatory. Anredera cordifolia (Ten) contains many secondary metabolites such as essential oil, saponins, phenolics, rauninflammatory activity of Anredera cordifolia (Ten) occur mainly through several mechanisms including a decrease in the volume of paw edema, inhibition of hemolysis, inhibition of the inflammatory mediators TNF-α, IL-1β, IL-6, and NO, and a decrease in the number of neutrophil PMNs.
Conclusions: Recent interest in the traditional treatment of the Anredera cordifolia (Ten) plant both in vitro and in vivo has shown potential anti-inflammatory activity attributed to the presence of natural bioactive compounds.
Keywords : Anti-inflammatory, Anredera, Phytochemical, Pharmacology
2. Aghasafari P, George U, Pidaparti R. A review of inflammatory mechanism in airway diseases. Inflamm Res. 2019; 68(1):59-74. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00011-018-1191-2
3. Suthar SK, Lee HB, Sharma M. The synthesis of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID)-lantadene prodrugs as novel lung adenocarcinoma inhibitors via the inhibition of cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2), cyclin D1 and TNF-α-induced NF-κB activation. RSC Adv. 2014; 4(37):19283-93. https://doi.org/10.1039/c4ra00280f
4. Al-kaf A. Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory Edited by Ali Gamal Al-kaf. 2018. https://doi.org/10.5772/65816
5. Braun J, Baraliakos X, Westhoff T. Nonsteroidal anti-in fl ammatory drugs and cardiovascular risk À a matter of indication. Semin Arthritis Rheum [Internet]. 2019; 000:10-3. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.semarthrit.2019.07.012
6. Harirforoosh S, Asghar W, Jamali F. Adverse effects of nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs: An update of gastrointestinal, cardiovascular and renal complications. J Pharm Pharm Sci. 2013; 16(5):821-47. https://doi.org/10.18433/J3VW2F
7. Merlet N, Busseuil D, Rheaume E, Tardif J-C. Cardiac Consequences of Anti-Inflammatory Drugs in Experimental Models. Antiinflamm Antiallergy Agents Med Chem. 2013; 12(1):24-35. https://doi.org/10.2174/1871523011312010005
8. Elfahmi, Woerdenbag HJ, Kayser O. Jamu: Indonesian traditional herbal medicine towards rational phytopharmacological use. J Herb Med [Internet]. 2014; 4(2):51-73. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hermed.2014.01.002
9. Mollik MAH, Hossan MSH, Paul AK, Taufiq-Ur-Rahman M, Jahan R, Rahmatullah M. A comparative analysis of medicinal plants used by folk medicinal healers in three districts of Bangladesh and inquiry as to mode of selection of medicinal plants. Ethnobot Res Appl. 2010; 8:195-218. https://doi.org/10.17348/era.8.0.195-218
10. Kumar S, Bajwa BS, Kuldeep S, Kalia AN. Jancova P 2010 PHASE II DRUG METABOLIZING ENZYMES.pdf. 2013; 2(2):272-81.
11. Elgorashi EE, McGaw LJ. African plants with in vitro anti-inflammatory activities: A review. South African J Bot. 2019; 126:142-69. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sajb.2019.06.034
12. Azab A, Nassar A, Azab AN. Anti-inflammatory activity of natural products. Molecules. 2016; 21(10):1-19. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules21101321
13. Ifora I, Fauziah F, Mayora SA. Aktivitas Anti-inflamasi dan Daya Hambat Siklooksigenase-2 Ekstrak Etanol Daun Tembelekan ( Lantana camara L .). J Farm Higea. 2020; 12(1):32-9. https://doi.org/10.36490/journal-jps.com.v3i1.33
14. Ifora, Arifin H, Silvia R. Efek Antiinflamasi Krim Ekstrak Etanol Daun Kirinyuh ( Chromolaena odorata (L) R.M. King & H. Rob ) Secara Topikal dan Penentuan Jumlah Sel Leukosit Pada Mencit Putih Jantan. J Farm Higea. 2017; 9(1):68-76. https://doi.org/10.33086/mhsj.v1i2.602
15. Iswatun, Pangestu A, Nasir A, Lailiyah N, Aris A. the Influence of Binahong Leaves (Anredera Cordifolia) on Healing of Flour Albuson Female Studentsof Class Xi Sman 1 Paciran Lamongan District. J Vocat Nurs. 2020; 1(1):80. https://doi.org/10.20473/jovin.v1i1.19916
16. Anwar TM, Soleha TU. Benefit of Binahong's Leaf (Anredera cordifolia) as a treatment of Acne vulgaris. Majority. 2016;5(4):179-83.
17. Djamil R, Winarti W, Zaidan S, Abdillah S. Antidiabetic Activity of Flavonoid from Binahong Leaves (Anredera cordifolia) Extract in Alloxan Induced Mice. J Pharmacogn Nat Prod. 2017; 03(02):2-5. https://doi.org/10.4172/2472-0992.1000139
18. Wijaya V, Maharani ES, Gunawan HA, Puspitawati R. The efficacy of an infusion of binahong leaves (Anredera cordifolia (ten.) steenis) against wild strain black-pigmented bacteria. Int J Appl Pharm. 2017; 9(Special Issue 2):28-31. https://doi.org/10.22159/ijap.2017.v9s2.08
19. Nasution NA, Artika IM, Safari D. Antibacterial Activity of Leaf Extracts of Anredera cordifolia (Ten.) Steenis and Muntingia calabura L. Against Streptococcus pneumoniae. Curr Biochem. 2020; 7(1):1-9. https://doi.org/10.29244/cb.7.1.1
20. Leliqia NPE, Sukandar EY, Fidrianny I. Antibacterial activities of Anredera Cordifolia (Ten.) V. Steenis leaves extracts and fractions. Asian J Pharm Clin Res. 2017; 10(12):175-8. https://doi.org/10.22159/ajpcr.2017.v10i12.21503
21. Sumartiningsih S. The effect of Binahong to hematoma. World Acad Sci Eng Technol. 2011; 78:743-5.
22. Lestari D, Sukandar EY, Fidrianny I. Anredera cordifolia leaves fraction as an antihyperlipidemia. Asian J Pharm Clin Res. 2016; 9(6):82-4. https://doi.org/10.22159/ajpcr.2016.v9i6.13628
23. Djamil R, PS W, S W, M.Hanafi. Antioxidant Activity of Flavonoid From Anredera Cordifolia (Ten) Steenis Leaves. Int Res J Pharm. 2012; 3(9):241-3.
24. Yuziani, Harahap U, Karsono. Evaluation of analgesic activities of ethanolic extract of Anredera cordifolia (ten) steenis leaf. Int J PharmTech Res. 2014; 6(5):1608-10.
25. Mbunga D, Fernandez S. Analgesic Activity of Water Extract of Binahong (Anredera Cordifolia (Ten.) V. Steenis) Leaves on Swiss Webster Mice. Int Conf. 2018; 602-8.
26. Sukandar EY, Fidrianny I, Adiwibowo LF. Efficacy of Ethanol Extract of Andredera cordifolia (Ten) Steenis Leaves on Improving Kidney Failure in Rats. 2011; https://doi.org/10.3923/ijp.2011.850.855
27. Astuti SM, Sakinah A.M M, Andayani B.M R, Risch A. Determination of Saponin Compound from Anredera cordifolia (Ten) Steenis Plant (Binahong) to Potential Treatment for Several Diseases. J Agric Sci. 2011; 3(4):224-32. https://doi.org/10.5539/jas.v3n4p224
28. Selawa W, Revolta M, Runtuwene J, Citraningtyas G, Studi P, Fmipa F, et al. KANDUNGAN FLAVONOID DAN KAPASITAS ANTIOKSIDAN TOTAL EKSTRAK ETANOL DAUN BINAHONG [Anredera cordifolia(Ten.)Steenis.]. Pharmacon. 2013; 2(1):18-23.
29. Souza LF, De Barros IBI, Mancini E, De Martino L, Scandolera E, De Feo V. Chemical composition and biological activities of the essential oil from Anredera cordifolia grown in Brazil. Nat Prod Commun. 2014; 9(7):1003-6. https://doi.org/10.1177/1934578X1400900730
30. Basyuni M, Ginting PYAB, Lesmana I. Phytochemical analysis of Binahong (Anredera Cordifolia) leaves extract to inhibit in Vitro growth of Aeromonas Hydrophila. AIP Conf Proc. 2017; 1904(November):1-7. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5011929
31. Hanafiah OA, Hanafiah DS, Bayu ES, Abidin T, Ilyas S, Nainggolan M, et al. Quantity differences of secondary metabolites (Saponins, tannins, and flavonoids) from binahong plant extract (Anredera cordifolia (Ten.) Steenis) treated and untreated with colchicines that play a role in wound healing. World J Dent. 2017; 8(4):296-9. https://doi.org/10.5005/jp-journals-10015-1453
32. Kurniawan B, Carolia N, Pheilia A. The effectiveness of Binahong leaf extract (Anredera cordifolia (Ten.) Steenis) and mefenamic acid as anti inflamation to white male rat induced by karagenin. Juke. 2014; 4(8):151-7.
33. Sutrisno E, Ketut Adnyana I, Sukandar EY, Fidrianny I, Aligita W. Anti-inflammatory study of Anredera cordifolia leaves and Centella asiatica herbs and its combinations using human red blood cell-membrane stabilization method. Asian J Pharm Clin Res. 2016; 9(5):78-80. https://doi.org/10.22159/ajpcr.2016.v9i5.11973
34. Yuziani. Uji Efek Antiinflamasi Ekstrak Daun Binahong (Anrederacordifolia) Secara Oral. Progr Stud Pendidik Dr Univ Malikussaleh. 2016; 4(1):102-10.
35. Laksmitawati DR, Widyastuti A, Karami N, Afifah E, Rihibiha DD, Nufus H, et al. Anti-inflammatory effects of Anredera cordifolia and piper crocatum extracts on lipopolysaccharide-stimulated macrophage cell line. Bangladesh J Pharmacol. 2017; 12(1):34-40. https://doi.org/10.3329/bjp.v12i1.28714
36. Susanti G. Efek Anti Inflamasi Ekstrak Daun Binahong [Anredera cordifolia (Ten.) Steenis] Topikal terhadap Jumlah PMN Neutrofil pada Tikus Jantan Sprague Dawley. J Kesehat. 2017; 8(3):351-7. https://doi.org/10.26630/jk.v8i3.644
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International (CC BY-NC 4.0). that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).