Innovation and optimization of Rizatriptan Benzoate Oromucosal Tablets by Using Design of Experiment (DoE)
The present study deals with the formulation and study of oromucosal tablets of Rizatriptan Benzoate (RB) using different bioahdesive polymer. Nine formulations were prepared by using direct compression method. Hydroxypropyl methyl cellulose (HPMC K4M), Gum acacia and Sodium Alginate were used as buccal mucoadhesive polymer. Ethyl cellulose (EC) used as an impermeable backing layer. FTIR Studies showed no interaction with drug, polymer and excipients. 32 full factorial design was used to optimize the effect of independent variable such as concentration of HPMC K4M (X1) and concentration of Sodium Alginate (X2) on dependent variables such as % drug release (Y1), Mucoadhesive strength (Y2), Swelling Index (Y3). The prepared buccal mucoadhesive tablets were evaluated for weight variation, Hardness, Surface pH and drug content, content uniformity, swelling index, In-vitro drug release study and mucoadhesive strength. In-vitro drug release study showed sustained drug released for 9 hours. The In-vitro release kinetics reveals that formulation DE5 follows Higuchi model for drug release.
Keywords: Buccal Mucoadhesion, HPMC K4M, Sodium alginate, Design of experiments.
2. Shaik S, Himabindu S, Sathish D. “Formulation and Ex Vivo Evaluation of Buccal Tablet of Electriptan Hydrobromide.” AJPTR. 2012; 2(3):919- 930.
3. Fatima S, Panda N, Reddy V A, Fatima S. “Buccal Mucoadhesive tables of Sumatriptan Succinate for Treatment of Sustainable Migraine: Design Formulation and In Vitro Evaluation.” IJPRAS. 2015; 4(3):114 – 126.
4. Bobade NN, Atram SC, Wankhade VP, Dr. Pande SD, Dr. Tapar KK.” A Review on Buccal Drug Delivery System”, IJPSR.2013; 3(1):35-40 DOI:10.13040/IJPSR.0975-8232.2 (6)0.1303-21
5. Haranath C, K Arshad Ahmed Khan, Reddy Surya Prakash C, Pradeep Kumar B, V Veera Bhadrappa K. “Formulation and In-vitro Evaluation of Mucoadhesive Buccal tablet of Antimigrain drug”. Inventi Rapid: NDDS. 2015; (4):1- 10
6. Sellappan V, P Srinivas. “Formulation and Evaluation of Losartan Potassium Mucoadhesive Buccal Tablets”, AJPCR. 2013; 6(3):125-130
7. M Kanchan Mandal, Dr. Patel D B, “Formulation and Evaluation of Buccal Tablets of Rizatriptan Benzoate”, WJPR. 2019; 8(12):1311-1353
8. Kundal A, Kumar P, Chaudhary A, “A Review of Mucoadhesive Buccal Tablets Prepared Using Natural and Synthetic Polymers.” WJPPS. 2015; 4(7):475-500
9. Reddy CP, Chaitanya KSC, Rao M Y, “A Review on Bioadhesive Buccal Drug Delivery Systems: Current Status of Formulation and Evaluation Methods”. DARU: JPS. 2011; 19(6):385-403
10. Gilhotra R M, Ikram Mohd, Srivastava S, Gilhotra N A. “Clinical Perspective on Mucoadnesive Buccal Drug Delivery System”. JBR. 2014; 28(2):81- 97
11. Steiner T J, Stovner L J, Birbeck G L. “Migraine the seventh disabler,” JHP, 2013; 14;1 https://doi.org/10.1186/1129-2377-14-1
12. Burch R C, Buse D C, Lipton R B. “Migraine: Epidemiology Burden and Comorbidity,” NC. 2019; 37(4):631-649 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ncl.2019.06.001
13. Scott A.K., “Sumatriptan Clinical Pharmacokinetics,” CP. 1994; 27(5):337-344. https://doi.org/10.2165/00003088-199427050-00002
14. Vyas KP, Halpin RA, Geer LA, Ellis JD, Liu L, Cheng H, Chavez-Eng C, Matuszewski B K, Varga SL, Guiblin AR, Rogers JD, ”Disposition and pharmacokinetics of the antimigraine drug, rizatriptan in humans”. DMD. 2000; 28(1):89-95
15. Fakuda I M, Pinto C F F, Moreira CS, Saviano A M, Lourenco F R, “Design of Experiments (DoE) applied to Pharmaceutical and Analytical Quality by Design. (QbD)” BJPS. 2018:54 https://doi.org/10.1590/s2175-97902018000001006
16. Paithankar M, Bhalekar M, “Quality by Design Enabled Development and optimization of the Nanoparticulate system of Carbazitaxel” IJPSDR. 2022; 14(1):112-121
17. Manogna K, Nagaveni P, Thyagaraju K. “A Review on Mucoadhesive Bilayer Buccal Tablets”. AJPTR. 2018; 8(1):101-115 https://doi.org/10.46624/ajptr.2018.v8.i1.007
18. Shinkar D M, Shaikh T A and Saudagar R B. “Design, Optimization and Evaluation of Mucoadhesive Buccal Tablets of Valsartan”, IJPSR. 2020, 11(5):2093-2103
19. S D Naidu S D, Deepthi B S, Rao M P, Mogil R K, Rao V N. “Formulation and Evaluction of Mucoadhesive Buccal Tablet of Naratriptan Hydrochloride,” IJPCR. 2015; 1(1):46-54
20. Saleem M A, Pange S S, Shaikh AU, Singh VK. “Development and Evaluation of Mucoadhesive Buccal Tablets of Sumatriptan Succinct using Natural Gums.” RJT. 2011; 4(7):1140-1146
21. Krishna M S, P John, Syed J M. “Formulation and Invitro Evaluation of Mucoahesivd Buccal Tablets of Atrovastatin Calcium”, IJDD. 2014; 6(2):140-150
22. Siju P. Paun J, Soniwala M, Chavda J. “Design, Development and Evaluation of Unidirectional Buccal Tablets of Rizatriptan Benzoate.” EJPMR. 2018; 5(1):223 - 234.
23. Wable A J, Thokal S B, Mittal S S, Shirsat A E, Bhingare C L, Ingle P L1. “Effect of Formulation Parameters on Sumatriptan Succinate Buccal Mucoadhesive Tablet: Quality by Design approach”. JAPS. 2013; 4(4):103-111.
24. Ramani V D, Sailor G U , Patel M M , Parmar G R, Seth A K. “Experimental Design Approach for the Formulation of Controlled Release Buccal Bilayer Tablets of Carvedilol”.JIHS 2018; (6)2: 53-59. https://doi.org/10.4103/JIHS.JIHS_19_18
25. Gouda R, Baishya H, Qing Z, “Application of Mathematical models in Drug Release Kinetics of Carbidopa and Levodopa ER Tablet. JDD, 2017; 6(2) https://doi.org/10.4172/2329-6631.1000171
26. Paarakh P M, Jose P A, Setty C M, Christopher G V P, “Release Kinetics-Concepts and Applications.” IJPRT, 2018; (8). https://doi.org/10.4172/2329-6631.1000171
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International (CC BY-NC 4.0). that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).