A Review on Brief Study of Calotropis gigantea Linn
Calotropis gigantea Linn is a popular restorative herb commonly known as milk weed & has been utilized in Indian system of medication. In this review, the systematic position, introduction about the plant, morphological study, phytochemistry and the economical values of the Calotropis gigantea are discussed. It has oval, light green leaves and smooth stem. The plant is growing in a wide range of soils and natural conditions, requiring no cultivation practices. Various pharmacological activities reported like antioxidant activity, anti-malarial activity, antimicrobial activity, cytotoxic activity, antipyretic activity, anti-asthmatic activity, anti-inflammatory activity, analgesic activity, insecticidal activity, wound healing activity & anti-diarrheal activity.
Keywords: Calotropis gigantea Linn., Pharmacological studies.
2. Kumar PS, Suresh E, Kalavathy S. Review on a potential herb Calotropis gigantea (L.) R. Br. Scholars Academic Journal of Pharmacy. 2013; 2(2):135-43.
3. Kori P, Alawa P. Antimicrobial activity and phytochemical analysis of Calotropis gigantea root, latex extracts. IOSR J. Pharm. 2014; 4(6):7-11. https://doi.org/10.9790/3013-04060207011
4. Kumar G, Karthik L, Rao KV. A review on pharmacological and phytochemical profile of Calotropis gigantea Linn. Pharmacologyonline. 2011; 1:1-8.
5. Amutha A., Jeyalalitha T and Kohila M . 2018, Calotropis Gigantea A Review Paper. Int J Recent Sci Res. 9(10), pp. 29386- 29390.
6. Sarkar S, Chakraverty R, Ghosh A. Calotropis Gigantea Linn.-a complete busket of Indian traditional medicine. Int. J. Pharm. Res. Sci. 2014; 2(1):7-17.
7. Deshpande S, Deshpande K, Tomar E. CALOTROPIS GIGANTEA: A PHYTOCHEMICAL POTENTIAL.(2018)
8. Gharge VG, Ghadge DM, Shelar PA, Yadav AV. Importance of Pharmacognostic study of medicinal plants Calotropis gigantea (Linn.): A review. Int J Pharmacognosy. 2017; 4(11):363-71.
9. Kumar D, Kumar S. Calotropis gigantea (L.) Dryand-A review update. Indian Journal of Research in Pharmacy and Biotechnology. 2015 May 1; 3(3):218.
10. Kumar G, Karthik L, Rao KV. A review on pharmacological and phytochemical profile of Calotropis gigantea Linn. Pharmacologyonline. 2011; 1:1-8.
11. Mushir A, Jahan N, Ahmed A. A review on phytochemical and biological properties of Calotropis gigantea (Linn.) R. Br. Discovery Phytomedicine. 2016; 3(3):15. https://doi.org/10.15562/phytomedicine.2016.32
12. Bairagi SM, Ghule P, Gilhotra R. Pharmacology of Natural Products: An recent approach on Calotropis gigantea and Calotropis procera. Ars Pharmaceutica (Internet). 2018 Mar 20; 59(1):37-44.
13. Singh N, Gupta P, Patel AV, Pathak AK. Calotropis gigantea: A Review on its phytochemical & pharmacological profile. Int. J. of Pharmacognosy. 2014; 1:1-8.
14. Srivastava MP, Awasthi K, Kumari P. Antimicrobial Activity of Calotropis gigantea against Staphylococcus aureus: Eco-Friendly Management. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF PLANT AND ENVIRONMENT. 2020 Jan 31; 6(01):94-8. https://doi.org/10.18811/ijpen.v6i01.11
15. Rajashekara S, Shrivastava A, Sumhitha S, Kumari S. Biomedical Applications of Biogenic Zinc Oxide Nanoparticles Manufactured from Leaf Extracts of Calotropis gigantea (L.) Dryand. BioNanoScience. 2020 Sep; 10:654-71. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12668-020-00746-w
16. VA J, Usman MR, Salunkhe PS, Gagrani MB. Anti-inflammatory Activity of Calotropis gigantea Linn. Leaves Extract on In-vitro Models. IJCP Review and Research. 2010; 1(2):1-5.
17. Pathak AK, Argal A. Analgesic activity of Calotropis gigantea flower. Fitoterapia. 2007 Jan 1; 78(1):40-2. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fitote.2006.09.023
18. Alam MA, Habib MR, Farjana N, Khalequzzaman M, Karim MR. Insecticidal activity of root bark of Calotropis gigantea L. against Tribolium castaneum (Herbst). World Journal of Zoology. 2009; 4(2):90-5.
19. Nalwaya N, Pokharna G, Deb L, Jain NK. Wound healing activity of latex of Calotropis gigantea. International journal of pharmacy and pharmaceutical sciences. 2009 Jul; 1(1):176-81.
20. Chitme HR, Chandra R, Kaushik S. Studies on anti-diarrhoeal activity of Calotropis gigantea R. Br. in experimental animals. J Pharm Pharm Sci. 2004 Feb 25; 7(1):70-5
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International (CC BY-NC 4.0). that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).