Floating Drug Delivery System
Floating drug delivery system (FDDS) helps to improve the buoyancy property of the drug over the gastric fluids and hence maintain the longer duration of action. It is helpful in minimizing the dosing frequency. The density of dosage form must be less than the density of gastric contents (1.004 gm/ml) in FDDS. It may effervescent or non-effervescent system. The drugs having narrow absorption window in GIT is good candidate for the floating drug delivery system. The main objective of writing this review article is to compile the recent literature with special focus on classification, method of preparation, mechanism of action advantages and disadvantages.
Keywords: Floating drug delivery system, Sustained release, controlled release, Floating tablet, Evaluation, Application, Gastro-retentive drug delivery system.
2. Pawar VK, Kansal S, Garg G, Awasthi R, Singodia D, K (1)1. Pawar VK, Kansal S, Garg G, Awasthi R, Singodia D, Kulkarni GT. Gastroretentive dosage forms: A review with special emphasis on floating drug delivery systems. Drug Deliv. 2011; 18(2):97-110. https://doi.org/10.3109/10717544.2010.520354
3. Dey S, Singh PK. Bilayer and Floating-Bioadhesive Tablets: Innovative Approach To Gastroretension. J Drug Deliv Ther. 2011; 1(1):32-5. https://doi.org/10.22270/jddt.v1i1.26
4. Daisy Chella Kumari S, Vengatesh S, Elango K, Devi Damayanthi R, Deattu N, Christina P. Formulation and evaluation of floating tablets of Ondansetron Hydrochloride. Int J Drug Dev Res. 2012; 4(4):265-74.
5. Ojha A. Floating drug delivery system: A review. Journal of Drug Delivery and Therapeutics. 2014; 4(2):130-4. https://doi.org/10.22270/jddt.v4i2.777
6. Gupta P, Gnanarajan PK, Kothiyal P. Floating drug delivery system: a review. International Journal of Pharma Research & Review. 2015; 4(8):37-44.
7. Sabale V, Sakarkar SN, Pund S, Sabale PM. Formulation and evaluation of floating dosage forms: An overview. Syst Rev Pharm. 2010; 1(1):33-9. https://doi.org/10.4103/0975-8453.59510
8. Mayavanshi AV, Gajjar SS. Floating drug delivery systems to increase gastric retention of drugs: A Review. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2008 Oct; 1(4):345-8.
9. Datir SK, Patil PB, Saudagar RB. Floating type drug delivery system: a review. J Drug Deliv Ther. 2019; 9(2):428-32. https://doi.org/10.22270/jddt.v9i2.2492
10. Patil P, Baviskar P, Saudagar RB. Floating Drug Delivery System: A comprehensive review. J Drug Deliv Ther. 2019; 9(3-s):839-46. https://doi.org/10.22270/jddt.v9i4-s.3384
11. Chandel A, Chauhan K, Parashar B, Kumar H, Arora S. Floating drug delivery systems: A better approach. Int Curr Pharm J. 2012; 1(5):119-27. https://doi.org/10.3329/icpj.v1i5.10283
12. Saikrishna K, Rao VUM, Kiran RS, Raju B, Keerthi LM, Dutt AG, et al. Floating Bilayer Drug Delivery Systems - A Review of Novel Approach. Pharmanest [Internet]. 2014; 5(4):2237-41. Available from: http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S027153091400086X
13. Preeti T, Vaibhav S, Anand KA, Chatterjee DP. Floating drug delivery system: an updated review. Journal of Medical Pharmaceutical and Allied Sciences. 2013; 4:31-42.
14. Satinderkakar RS. Gastroretentive drug delivery systems: A review. African Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology. 2015 Mar 29; 9(12):405-17. https://doi.org/10.5897/AJPP2015.4307
15. Bhardwaj V, Nirmala, Harikumar S.L. Floating drug delivery system a review, Pharmacophore. 2013; 4(1):26-38.
16. Dhole AR, Gaikwad PD, Bankar VH, Pawar SP. A review on floating multiparticulate drug delivery system - A novel approach to gastric retention. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res. 2011; 6(2):205-11.
17. Niharika MG, Krishnamoorthy K, Akkala M. Overview on floating drug delivery system. Int J Appl Pharm. 2018; 10(6):65-71. https://doi.org/10.22159/ijap.2018v10i6.28274
18. Parmar PD, Pande S, Shah SH, Sonara N, Patel GH. Floating drug delivery system: A novel approach to prolong gastric retention. World J Pharmacy Pharm Sci. 2014 Feb 25; 3(4):418-44.
19. Karudumpala S, Chetty M, Gnanaprakash K, Venkatesh B, Sankar P. A review on bilayer floating tablets. Int J Res pharm Sci. 2013; 4(2).
20. Roshani K, Panda P, Vishwakarma DK, Verma NK. A brief review on bilayer floating A brief review on bilayer floating tablet. International Journal of Advances in Pharmaceutics 2017; 6(3):70-78.
21. Sharma N, Kakkar S. Floating Tablet: a Review. Int J Recent Adv Sci Technol. 2015; 2(4):1-8. https://doi.org/10.30750/ijrast.241
22. Farooq SM, Sunaina S, Rao M, Venkatesh P, Hepcykalarani D, Preama R. Floating Drug Delivery Systems: An updated Review. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2020 Mar 9; 10(1):39-47. https://doi.org/10.5958/2231-5691.2020.00009.X
23. Patial K, Dua JS, Menra M, Prasad DN. A Review: Floating Drug Delivery System (FDDS). Pharmaceutical Research World Journal Of Pharmaceutical Research. 2016 Mar 29; 5(6):614-33.
24. Sharma n, Agarwal d, Gupta MK, Khinchi MP. A Comprehensive Review on Gastroretentive Drug Delivery System. Acta Chim Pharm Indica. 2013; 3(2):149-64.
25. Jaimini R, Gupta MK, Sharma V. A Review on Formulation and Evaluation of Gastroretentive Floating Tablet of Nifedipin. Journal of Drug Delivery and Therapeutics. 2019 Jul 15; 9(4):651-6.
26. Arora S, Ali J, Ahuja A, Khar RK, Baboota S. Floating drug delivery systems: a review. Aaps PharmSciTech. 2005 Sep; 6(3):E372-90. https://doi.org/10.1208/pt060347
27. Ghule PN, Deshmukh AS, Mahajan VR. Floating Drug Delivery System (FDDS): An Overview. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology. 2014 Jul 1; 6(3):174.
28. Prajapati ST, Patel LD, Patel CN. Polymers for floating drug delivery system. Syst Rev Pharm. 2011; 2(1):1-7. https://doi.org/10.4103/0975-8453.83431
29. Lende LK, Banerjee SK, Gadhave MV, Gaikwad DD, Gaykar AJ. Review on: Bilayer floating tablet. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research and Development. 2013 Jan 1:31-9.
30. Neetika B, Manish G. Floating drug delivery system. IJPRAS. 2012; 1(4):20-8.
31. Sopyan I, Sriwidodo, Wahyuningrum R, Norisca Aliza P. A review: Floating drug delivery system as a tool to improve dissolution rate in gastric. Int J Appl Pharm. 2020; 12(4):51-4. https://doi.org/10.22159/ijap.2020v12i4.38415
32. Shashank C, Prabha K, Sunil S, Vipin Kumar A. Approaches to increase the gastric residence time: Floating drug delivery systems- A review. Asian J Pharm Clin Res. 2013; 6(3):1-9.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International (CC BY-NC 4.0). that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).