Research Opportunities in Unani/ Greco-Arabian Medicine
Unani medicine is a traditional system of medicine which was founded on the teachings of Hippocrates (460-377 BC). It is based on a holistic concept of health preservation, promotion and disease prevention. Mizaj (temperament), asbab-e-sitta zaruriyah (six essential factors), and tabiy’at (physis) are the basic concepts of Unani medicine which help in disease prevention as well as management. Unani medicine has a rich treasure of many effective preventive and therapeutic methods for lifestyle disorders, acute and chronic diseases, as well as psychological conditions. In this paper, we discuss the important research areas in Unani system of medicine, particularly related to present-day world.
Keywords: Unani medicine, lifestyle, chronic diseases, Mizaj
2. National Health Portal. Origin and Development of Unani Medicine in India. Centre for Health Informatics. 2015.
3. Fulder S. Remembering the holistic view. J Altern Complement Med [Internet]. 2005 Oct 1; 11(5):775–6. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1089/acm.2005.11.775
4. Nimrouzi M, Zare M. Principles of Nutrition in Islamic and Traditional Persian Medicine. J Evidence-Based Complement Altern Med. 2014 Jul; 19(4):267–70.
5. Fazil M, Nikhat S. Topical medicines for wound healing: A systematic review of Unani literature with recent advances. J Ethnopharmacol [Internet]. 2020; 257:112878. Available from: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0378874119349827
6. Poulakou-Rebelakou E, Karamanou M, George A. The impact of ancient Greek medicine in India: the birth of Unani medicine. Acta Med Hist Adriat [Internet]. 2015;13(2):323–8. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27604201
7. Fazil M, Nikhat S, Ali I. An Insight into Unani Hypoglycemic Drugs and Their Mechanism of Action. Comb Chem High Throughput Screen. 2020 Jul;
8. Ahmad S. Unani Medicine: Introduction and Present Status in India. Internet J Altern Med. 2012; 6(1):1–4.
9. Miraj S, Kiani S. A scientific correlation between dystemprament in Unani medicine and diseases: a systematic review. Electron physician. 2016 Nov; 8(11):3240–7.
10. Fazil M, Akram M, Kapoor P. General Hypochondriasis in Diabetes Mellitus Type-II (DM-II): Implications for Clinicians. GjmedphOrg.
11. Ali S, Alam M. A scientific correlation between blood groups and temperaments in Unani medicine. Indian J Tradit Knowl. 2007; 06(2):319–23.
12. Rafiean M, Khajegir A, Kiani S. The association between dystemperament and prevention of diseases: A systematic review. J Clin Diagnostic Res. 2016/09/01. 2016 Sep; 10(9):YE01–6.
13. Fazil M, Akram M, Kapoor P. Diabetes mellitus Type-II (DM-II) and disease conviction: An exploration of the possible causes. J Adv Psychol Res [Internet]. 2013; 1(2):16–21. Available from: http://www.ssjournals.com/index.php/ijapr/article/view/1422
14. Mujeeb H. Temperament – an important principle for health preservation in Tibb an-Nabawi and Unani-Tibb. Bangladesh J Med Sci [Internet]. 2017 Aug 19; 16(4):487–95. Available from: https://www.banglajol.info/index.php/BJMS/article/view/33600
15. Alavi S. Unani medicine in the nineteenth-century public sphere: Urdu texts and the Oudh Akhbar. Indian Econ Soc Hist Rev. 2005; 42(1):101–29.
16. Moradi H, Minaii B, Nikbakht Nasrabadi A, Siahpoosh MB. Avicenna viewpoint about health preservation through healthy nutrition principles. Iran J Public Health. 2013/02/01. 2013; 42(2):220–1.
17. Khadem E, Shirazi M, Rahimi R, Bioos S, Ghorat F. Perception of paralytic ileus on viewpoint of Avicenna. Iran J Public Health. 2017 Jan; 46(1):150–2.
18. Narayana DBA, Dobriyal RM. Shelf-life of herbal remedies: challenges and approaches. In: Evaluation of Herbal Medicinal Products [Internet]. Britain: Pulok K Mukherjee, Peter J Houghton; 2009. p. 369. Available from: https://dl.uswr.ac.ir/bitstream/Hannan/130353/1/Evaluation of Herbal Medicinal Products Mukherjee Houghton (Pharm Press 2009)BBS.pdf#page=386
19. Nikhat S, Fazil M. Determination of the Shelf Life and Expiry Date of Herbal Compound Drugs: a Review. Int J Sci Res Manag. 2013;1(8):415–20.
20. Ardekani MRS, Rahimi R, Javadi B, Abdi L, Khanavi M. Relationship between temperaments of medicinal plants and their major chemical compounds. J Tradit Chinese Med [Internet]. 2011; 31(1):27–31. Available from: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S025462721160006X
21. Revanthy SS, Rathinamala R, Murugesan M. Authentification Methods For Drugs Used in Ayurveda, Siddha, and Unani Systems of Medicine: An Overview. Intern J Pharm Sci Res. 2012; 3(8):2352–61.
22. Fazil M, Nikhat S. Nutraceutical and Pharmacological Appraisal of Āmla (Emblica officinalis Gaertn.): A Review. European J Med Plants. 2019; 1–13.
23. Brennan F, Carr DB, Cousins M. Pain management: A fundamental human right. Anesth Analg. 2007; 105(1):205–21.
24. Nikhat S, Shamsi Y, Fazil M. Overcoming Pain: An Exploration of Analgesia in Ibn Sina’s Al-Qanoon Fil Tibb. J Drug Deliv Ther [Internet]. 2019 May 15; 9(3):571–4. Available from: http://jddtonline.info/index.php/jddt/article/view/2755 DOI https://doi.org/10.22270/jddt.v9i3.2755
25. Minal SP, Shailesh BP, Kailaspati PC, Umesh PJ. Complementary alternative medicinal systems: An overview. J Pharm Biosci. 2018; 6(2):13.
26. Denscombe M. Social conditions for stress: Young people ’s experience of doing GCSEs. Br Educ Res J. 2000; 26(3):359–74.
27. Nikhat S, Fazil M. A Review on Dalk (Massage) with Special Reference to the Prescribed Mediciations. Tradit Integr Med. 2017;2(1):39–52.
28. Haycox CL, Odland PB, Coltrera MD, Raugi GJ. Indications and complications of medicinal leech therapy. J Am Acad Dermatol. 1995; 33(6):1053–5.
29. Nikhat S, Fazil M. Hirudotherapy In The Modern World-An Updated Review. Asian J Complement Altern Med. 2014; 02(05):1–6.
30. DAVIS WD, ARROWSMITH WR. The treatment of hemochromatosis by massive venesection. Ann Intern Med. 1953; 39(4):723–34.
31. Buketan Alharbi M, Alaskar S, Alqahtani TS, Saud Bin Suwailem M, Alsaleem MB, Alanizi YN, et al. The Application of Venesection (FASD) in Medical and Surgical Practice by Ibn al-Quff in the Islamic Era (1233-1286). J Res Hist Med. 2019; 8(3):191–6.
32. Nikhat S, Fazil M. Principles and practice of faşd (venesection) in unani/greco-arabian medicine. Imam J Appl Sci. 2018;3(2):33.
33. Divya Kajaria J. An Appraisal of The Mechanism of Action of Shirodhara. Ann Ayurvedic Med. 2013; 2(3):114–7.
34. Pokharel S, Sharma A. Evaluation of Insomrid tablet and Shirodhara in the management of Anidra (Insomnia). AYU (An Int Q J Res Ayurveda). 2010; 31(1):40.
35. Nikhat S, Fazil M. An Analytical Review on Nutool (Irrigation) Therapy. J Drug Deliv Ther. 2015; 5(5):1–4. DOI https://doi.org/10.22270/jddt.v5i5.1127
36. Fazil M, Nikhat S. Cauterization in the Work of Ibn Al Qaf Masihi (1233-1286 Ad)-Medical Heritage of 13th Century. Tradit Integr Med [Internet]. 2019 Jun 25;4(2 SE-Review Article(s)). Available from: https://jtim.tums.ac.ir/index.php/jtim/article/view/189
37. Nikhat S, Fazil M. Kayi ( Cauterization ) : A Tribute to Unani Scholars. Med J Islam World Acad Sci. 2013; 21(2):81–8.
38. Alsanad SM, Gazzaffi IMA, Salem SO, Qureshi NA. Cautery Looked through the Prisms of Shapes, Types and Methods: A Critical Appraisal. J Complement Altern Med Res. 2018; 6(2):1–19.
39. Garg N. Evaluation of the Impact of Emesis and Emesis plus Purgation Therapy. Res J Pharmacol Pharmacodyn. 2010; 2(2):201-202–202.
40. Fazil M, Nikhat S. Qai (Emesis): From Ancient To Modern Era and Its Therapeutic Efficacy in Various Disorders. J Drug Deliv Ther. 2016; 6(4):63–8. DOI https://doi.org/10.22270/jddt.v6i4.1292
41. World Health Organisation. Oral health surveys; basic methods. World Health Organization; 1977.
42. Rai A, Fazil M, Rasheed A, Ahmad B, Parveen S, Nikhat S. Role of Unani Medicines in Oro-Dental Diseases: A Comprehensive Review and Scientific Evidence. Fortune J Heal Sci. 2020; 01(01):30–54.
43. Fazil M, Nikhat S. Exploring new horizons in health care: A mechanistic review on the potential of Unani medicines in combating epidemics of infectious diseases. Phyther Res. 2020 Nov;
44. Kalim MD, Bhattacharyya D, Banerjee A, Chattopadhyay S. Oxidative DNA damage preventive activity and antioxidant potential of plants used in Unani system of medicine. BMC Complement Altern Med [Internet]. 2010; 10(1):77. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6882-10-77
45. Nikhat S, Fazil M. Overview of Covid-19; its prevention and management in the light of Unani medicine. Sci Total Environ [Internet]. 2020;728:138859. Available from: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0048969720323767
46. Shirbeigi L, Zarei A, Naghizadeh A, Vaghasloo MA. The Concept of Temperaments in Traditional Persian Medicine. Tradit Integr Med [Internet]. 2017; 2(3):143–56. Available from: http://jtim.tums.ac.ir/index.php/jtim/article/view/106
47. Fazil M, Nikhat S, Akram M. Diabetes From Ancient to Modern Era. Hamdard Med. 2012; 55(1):27–31.
48. Ali I, Suhail M, Naqshbandi MF, Fazil M, Ahmad B, Sayeed A. Role of Unani Medicines in Cancer Control and Management. Curr Drug ther. 2018; 14(2):92–113.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International (CC BY-NC 4.0). that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).