Formulation development and in-vitro evaluation of Molsidomine matrix tablets for colon specific release
Colon targeted tablets were prepared in two steps. Initially core tablets were prepared and then the tablets were coated by using different pH dependent polymers. Ethyl cellulose, Eudragit L100 and S100 were used as coating polymers. FT-IR studies were carried out to find out the possible interaction between the selected drugs and polymer. FT-IR studies revealed that there was no interaction between the selected drug and excipients. The pre-compression blend of all formulations was subjected to various flow property tests and all the formulations passed the tests. The tablets were coated by using polymers and the coated tablets were subjected to various evaluation techniques. The tablets passed all the tests. Among all the formulations F3 formulation was found to be optimized as it was retarded the drug release up to 12 hours and showed maximum of 97.57% drug release. It followed zero order kinetics mechanism. The ideal formulation was subjected to stability studies at 40°C/75%RH. The stability studies indicated that the formulation was stable and retained its pharmaceutical properties at 40°C/75%RH over a period of 1 month.
Keywords: Colon target, Ethyl cellulose, Eudragit L100 and S100, pH dependent polymers.
2. Hazee Peera N, Lohithasu D, Sahoo SK, Santhosh Naidu M, Mani Kumar K, Anil Kumar V. Formulation development and evaluation of oral disintegrating tablets of Zolmitriptan, Der Pharmacia Lettre, 2013; 5 (2):324-332.
3. Lohithasu D, Harsha INS, Krishna Swaroop K, Madhu G, Bhagyalakshmi S, Lavanya K. Formulation development and evaluation of glyburide beads for controlled release, Der Pharmacia Lettre, 2013; 5 (3):170-177.
4. Lohithasu D, Anil Kumar V, Ramana JV, Pratap A, Vamsi Krishna D, Shanmukh NA. Formulation development and evaluation of metoprolol succinate microbeads by ionotropic gelation method, Int J. Inv. Pharm.Sci., 2013; 1(3):221-230.
5. Lohithasu D, Ramana JV, Anil Kumar V, Pratap Anand N, Praveen G. Formulation and evaluation of metformin hydrochloride beads by using various polymers with sodium alginate, Der Pharmacia Lettre, 2013; 5 (4):56-61.
6. Harsha INS, Lohithasu D, ManoharBabu K, Madhu G, Lavanya K, Krishna Swaroop K. Formulation and characterization of piroxicam liquisolid technique for solubility enhancement. World J Pharma Pharm Sci, 2014; 3(3):1393-1404.
7. Lohithasu D, Ramana JV, Girish P, Harsha INS, Madhu G, Lavanya K, Swathi Sri D. A latest review on liquisolid technique as a novel approach, World J Pharm Res, 2014; 3(4): 479-493.
8. SantoshNaidu M, Radha GV, Girish P, Lohithasu D. Comparison studies on transdermal films of natural tamarind seed polysaccharide extract containing anti hypertension drug with PVA ,HPMC and guar gum, World J Pharm Res, 2014; 3(5): 753-763.
9. Lohithasu D, Midhun kumar D, Hemasundara Rao I. Design and evaluation of lafutidine floating tablets for controlled release by using semi-synthetic and natural polymer, J Drug Dis Therapeutics, 2014; 2 (23): 01-08.
10. Chaithanya KM, Venkata Sirisha B, Lohithasu D ,Anu PJ, Janaki Devi S, Ramana Murthy K. Development and evaluation of poly ethylene oxide based chronotherapeutic drug delivery system of Olmesartan medoxomil, Indo American J Pharm Research, 2015; 5(4): 158-168.
11. Lohithasu D, Madhu Latha AVS, Midhun Kumar D, Girish P. Formulation and evaluation of Cordia dichotoma fruit mucilage as matrix forming agent for sustained release of propranolol hydrochloride. Int J Pharm, 2015; 5(2): 512-517.
12. Hema Naga Durga D, Lohithasu D, Ramana Murthy KV. Development and stability studies of Diclofenac sodium controlled release dosage forms using various polymers. World J Pharma Pharm Sci, 2017; 6(11): 1160-1171.
13. Hema Naga Durga D, Lohithasu D, Ramana Murthy KV. Development and evaluation of Diclofenac sodium controlled release dosage forms using natural, hydrophilic and hydrophobic polymers and its comparative studies. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Education and Research, 2017; 51(1):116-127.
14. Hema Naga Durga D, Lohithasu D, Ramana Murthy KV. Isolation, Physico-Chemical Characterization and In-Vitro Drug Release Studies of Natural Polysaccharide of Araucaria heterophylla Gum. Indo American J Pharm Res, 2017; 7(6):8153-72.
15. Hema Naga Durga D, Lohithasu D, Ramana Murthy KV. Araucaria gum: novel natural polymer for controlled drug delivery. Development, in vitro and in vivo evaluation of Araucaria gum based matrix tablets for controlled release. Current Drug Delivery, 2017; 14(7): 955 – 967.
16. Sarada A, Lohithasu D, Soma Sundari M, Midhun Kumar D. Formulation Development, Characterization and In- vitro evaluation of floating matrix dosage form of Tramadol hydrochloride using various polymers. Asian J Pharm Clin Res, 2017; 10(2): 281-90.
17. Lohithasu D, Shabari Girinath K., Midhun Kumar D, Hema Naga Durga D. Applicability of natural polymers in transdermal patches: overview. World J Pharma Pharm Sci, 2016; 5(12): 513-27.
18. Hema Naga Durga D, Lohithasu D, Ramana Murthy KV. Isolation and Acute oral toxicity studies of Araucaria heterophylla novel natural polysaccharide gum in albino mice, World J Pharma Pharm Sci, 2016; 5(10): 702-11.
19. Lohithasu D, Ramana Murthy KV. Isolation and Evaluation of Binding property of Lannea coromandelica gum, Indian J Pharm Sci, 2016; 78(2):224-230.
20. Lohithasu D, Sarada A, Hema Naga Durga D, Rajya Lakshmi T. Assessment of film forming potential of Cordia dichotoma fruit mucilage (Boraginaceae): Alfuzosin hydrochloride as a drug of choices, J Applied Pharm Sci, 2016; 6 (05):036-043.
21. Sarada A, Lohithasu D, Chamundeswari V, Midhun Kumar D, Ramya S. Enhancement of dissolution rate of Ritonavir: a comparative study using various carriers and Techniques, Global J Pharm. 2015; 9(4):326-340.
22. Sarada A, Lohithasu D, Nikhil J, Janaki Devi S. Formulation and evaluation of gastro retentive matrix tablets of Atenolol using melt granulation technique, Int J Pharm science Res, 2016; 7(3): 1081-92.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International (CC BY-NC 4.0). that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).