Food Allergies and Homoeopathy- A Narrative Review
Allergy, formally called type I (or immediate) hypersensitivity is one of four or more forms of hypersensitivity manifesting in various forms like, Atopic eczema, Allergic urticaria, Allergic rhinitis, Allergic asthma, , Food allergy, etc. The growing incidence of Food allergy needs attention since its burden is mainly on children and adolescents. Various factors has been attributed to the growing incidence of food allergy such as food habits, cooking habits, cultural differences, various developmental parameters and exchange of food products. The World Allergy Organization has estimated 220 to 550 million people suffering from food allergy with a large chunk of population from the developed countries. No concrete data is available on status of food allergy in India though some sporadic research has been published. In spite of diligent research worldwide, an effective mechanism to cure this condition has not been evolved till today. Since effectiveness of homeopathy has been proved in various allergy conditions, the modality of using the same has been explored in this article.
Key words: Food allergy, Homoeopathy, Type I hypersensitivity
2. Prescott S, Allen KJ. Food allergy: riding the second wave of the allergy epidemic. Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 2011 Mar; 22(2):155-60. Available from: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1399-3038.2011.01145.x/pdf https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1399-3038.2011.01145.x
3. NIAID-Sponsored Expert Panel, Boyce JA, Assa'ad A, et al. Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of food allergy in the United States: report of the NIAID-sponsored expert panel. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2010; 126(6 Suppl):S1-S58. Available from: http://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/foodallergy/clinical/documents/faguidelinesexecsummary.pdf https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaci.2010.10.007
4. The PRISMA Statement; Available from: http://www.prisma-statement.org/
5. Gabriel Van Loon. Charaka Samhita, Hand Book on Ayurveda, Vol.1; 2003. Available from: http://www.rencapp.com/TamilCube_Charaka_Samhita.pdf
6. Hippocrates. On Ancient Medicine. Available from: http://classics.mit.edu/Hippocrates/ancimed.html
7. Food Allergy: a practice parameter. 2006 (96) Available from: http://www.thesuperallergycookbook.com /PDF/ FoodAllergypaper. pdf accessed on 04.11.2011
8. WAGNER R. CLEMENS VON PIRQUET, DISCOVERER OF THE CONCEPT OF ALLERGY. Bull N Y Acad Med. 1964; 40(3):229-235. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/ PMC1750523/pdf/bullnyacad med00288-0071.pdf accessed on 18.10.2012.
9. Hare F. THE FOOD FACTOR IN DISEASE. Br Med J. 1906; 1(2364):951. Available from: http://ia600500.us.archive.org/25/items/foodfactorindise01hare/foodfactorindise01hare.pdf https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.1.2364.951-b
10. Arthur F Coca. The Pulse Test. Available from: http://www.soilandhealth.org/02/0201hyglibcat/020108.coca.pdf
11. Ishizaka K, Ishizaka T, Hornbrook MM. Physicochemical properties of reaginic antibody. V. Correlation of reaginic activity wth gamma-E-globulin antibody. J Immunol. 1966 Dec; 97(6):840-53. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/4163008
12. Duncan Graham-Rowe. Lifestyle: When allergies go west; Nature 479, S2-S4 (24 November 2011) Published online 23 November 2011. Available from: http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v479/n7374_supp/full/479S2a.html#auth-1 https://doi.org/10.1038/479S2a
13. Jennifer J. Schneider Chafen, Sydne Newberry, Marc Riedl, Dena M. Bravata, Margaret Maglione, Marika Suttorp, et al. Prevalence, Natural History, Diagnosis, and Treatment of Food Allergy: A Systematic Review of the Evidence; WR-757-1, August 2010, Prepared for the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. Available from: http://www.rand.org/content/dam/rand/pubs/working_papers/2010/RAND_WR757-1.pdf
14. Wang J, Sampson HA. Food allergy. J Clin Invest. 2011 Mar 121(3):827-35. Epub 2011 Mar 1. Available from: http://www.jci.org/articles/view/45434/pdf https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI45434
15. Ruby Pawankar Stephen T. Holgate G. Walter Canonica Richard F. Lockey. WAO White Book on Allergy 2011-2012; World Allergy Organization. Available from: http://www.worldallergy.org/UserFiles/file/WAO-White-Book-on-Allergy_web.pdf
16. Hadley C. Food allergies on the rise? EMBO Rep (2006) 7:1080- 1083 Available from: http://www.nature.com/embor/journal/v7/n11/full/7400846.html https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.embor.7400846
17. Branum AM, Lukacs SL. Food allergy among U.S. children: trends in prevalence and hospitalizations. NCHS Data Brief. 2008 Oct;(10):1-8. Available from: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db10.pdf.
18. Wang J, Liu AH. Food allergies and asthma. Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol. 2011 Jun; 11(3):249-54. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3155248/#!po=2.77778 https://doi.org/10.1097/ACI.0b013e3283464c8e
19. Ruchi S. Gupta, Elizabeth E. Springston, Manoj R. Warrier, Bridget Smith, Rajesh Kumar, Jacqueline Pongracic, Jane L. Holl. The Prevalence, Severity, and Distribution of Childhood Food Allergy in the United States. PEDIATRICS July 2011; 128(1):e9-e17; 2011-0204. Available from: http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/early/2011/06/16/peds.2011-0204.full.pdf+html https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2011-0204
20. Niphadkar PV, Patil SP, Bapat MM. Chickpea-induced anaphylaxis. Allergy. 1997 Jan; 52(1):115-6. Available from: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1398-9995.1997.tb02559.x/pdf https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1398-9995.1997.tb02559.x
21. Wong G. Patterns of food allergy outside Europe. Clinical and Translational Allergy 2011 1 (Suppl 1):56. Available from: http://www.ctajournal.com/content/pdf/2045-7022-1-S1-S6.pdf Accessed on 18.12.2012. https://doi.org/10.1186/2045-7022-1-S1-S6
22. Kumar R, Kumari D, Srivastava P, Khare V, Fakhr H, Arora N, Gaur SN, Singh BP. Identification of IgE-mediated food allergy and allergens in older children and adults with asthma and allergic rhinitis. Indian J Chest Dis Allied Sci. 2010 Oct-Dec;52(4):217-24. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21302599
23. McBride D, Keil T, Grabenhenrich L, Dubakiene R, Drasutiene G, Fiocchi A, et al. The EuroPrevall birth cohort study on food allergy: baseline characteristics of 12,000 newborns and their families from nine European countries. Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 2012 May; 23(3):230-9. Epub 2011 Dec 23. PMID: 22192443. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22192443 https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1399-3038.2011.01254.x
24. Christie L, Hine RJ, Parker JG, Burks W. Food allergies in children affect nutrient intake and growth. J Am Diet Assoc. 2002 Nov; 102(11):1648-51. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12449289 accessed on 18.12.2012 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-8223(02)90351-2
25. Isolauri E, Sütas Y, Salo MK, Isosomppi R, Kaila M. Elimination diet in cow's milk allergy: risk for impaired growth in young children. J Pediatr. 1998 Jun; 132(6):1004-9. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9627594 accessed on 22.12.2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3476(98)70399-3
26. Norman F. Carvalho, Richard D. Kenney, Paul H. Carrington and David E. Hall Severe Nutritional Deficiencies in Toddlers Resulting From Health Food Milk Alternatives Pediatrics 2001;107;e46. Available from: http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/107/4/e46.full.pdf+html. Accessed on 22.12.2012 https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.107.4.e46
27. Cho HN, Hong S, Lee SH, Yum HY. Nutritional status according to sensitized food allergens in children with atopic dermatitis. Allergy Asthma Immunol Res. 2011; 3(1):53-7. Epub 2010 Nov 23. accessed on 22.12.2012 .Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3005320/ https://doi.org/10.4168/aair.2011.3.1.53
28. Bird JA, Burks AW. Food allergy and asthma. Prim Care Respir J. 2009 Dec; 18(4):258-65. Available from: http://www.thepcrj.org/journ/vol18/18_4_258_265.pdf https://doi.org/10.4104/pcrj.2009.00036
29. Nsouli TM, Nsouli SM, Linde RE, O'Mara F, Scanlon RT, Bellanti JA. Role of food allergy in serous otitis media. Ann Allergy. 1994 Sep; 73(3):215-9. PMID: 8092554. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8092554 accessed on 22.12.2012.
30. Cochrane S, Beyer K, Clausen M, Wjst M, Hiller R, Nicoletti C, et al. Factors influencing the incidence and prevalence of food allergy; Allergy. 2009 Sep; 64(9):1246-55. Epub 2009 Aug 5. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19663867 https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1398-9995.2009.02128.x
31. Study of nutritional factors in food allergies and food intolerances: Published by the European Commission Directorate-General XII Science, Research and Development B-1049 Brussels; 1997. Available from: http://ec.europa.eu/research/agriculture/pdf/books/study%20of%20nutritional%20factors%20in%20food%20allergies%20and%20food%20intolerance.pdf accessed on 01.01.2013.
32. Patel DA, Holdford DA, Edwards E, Carroll NV. Estimating the economic burden of food-induced allergic reactions and anaphylaxis in the United States. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2011; 128(1):110-115.e5. Epub 2011 Apr 13. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21489610 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaci.2011.03.013
33. Liem, J.J., Huq, S., Kozyrskyj, A.L. et al. Should Younger Siblings of Peanut-Allergic Children Be Assessed by an Allergist before Being Fed Peanut? All Asth Clin Immun 2008; 4:144. Available from: http://www.aacijournal.com/content/4/4/144 https://doi.org/10.1186/1710-1492-4-4-144
34. Hidalgo-Castro EM, del Rio-Navarro BE, Sienra-Monge JJ. Factores de riesgo de alergia alimentaria [Risk factors of food allergy]. Rev Alerg Mex. 2009 Sep-Oct; 56(5):158-64. Spanish.
35. Eggesbø M, Botten G, Stigum H, Nafstad P, Magnus P. Is delivery by cesarean section a risk factor for food allergy? J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2003 Aug; 112(2):420-6. https://doi.org/10.1067/mai.2003.1610
36. Greer FR, Sicherer SH, Burks AW; American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Nutrition; American Academy of Pediatrics Section on Allergy and Immunology. Effects of early nutritional interventions on the development of atopic disease in infants and children: the role of maternal dietary restriction, breastfeeding, timing of introduction of complementary foods, and hydrolyzed formulas. Pediatrics. 2008 Jan; 121(1):183-91. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2007-3022
37. Beyer K, Morrow E, Li XM, Bardina L, Bannon GA, Burks AW, Sampson HA. Effects of cooking methods on peanut allergenicity. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2001 Jun; 107(6):1077-81. https://doi.org/10.1067/mai.2001.115480
38. Caleb Kelly, Venu Gangur. Sex Disparity in Food Allergy: Evidence from the Pub Med Database; Journal of Allergy Volume 2009, Article ID 159845, 7 pages. https://doi.org/10.1155/2009/159845
39. Ministry of health and family welfare (food safety and standards authority of india). Food safety and standards (packaging and labelling) regulations, 2011. Available from: http://www.dfda.goa.gov.in/uploads/Food%20Safety%20and%20standards%20(Packaging%20and%20Labelling)%20regulation,%202011.pdf
40. Tsai HJ, Kumar R, Pongracic J, Liu X, Story R, Yu Y, Caruso D, Costello J, Schroeder A, Fang Y, Demirtas H, Meyer KE, O'Gorman MR, Wang X. Familial aggregation of food allergy and sensitization to food allergens: a family-based study. Clin Exp Allergy. 2009; 39(1):101-9. Epub 2008 Oct 30. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2222.2008.03111.x
41. Hourihane JO, Dean TP, Warner JO. Peanut allergy in relation to heredity, maternal diet, and other atopic diseases: results of a questionnaire survey, skin prick testing, and food challenges. BMJ. 1996 Aug 31; 313(7056):518-21. Erratum in: BMJ 1996 Oct 26; 313(7064):1046. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.313.7056.518
42. Xiumei Hong, Hui-Ju Tsai, Xiaobin Wang. Genetics of Food allergy. Curr Opin Pediatr. [Internet]. 2009 Dec; 21(6):770-776. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892276/ https://doi.org/10.1097/MOP.0b013e32833252dc
43. Shinde V, Bawaskar R. Homoeopathy and Immunology- A Narrative Review. Indo Am. J. P. Sci. [Internet]. 2021; 08(06). Available from: http://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.5008288
44. Hahnemann Samuel C. F. S. Organon of Medicine, 6th Edition. New Delhi: B.jain Publishers.
45. Complete Repertory, V.4. Cara ©1997 Miccant Ltd
46. Ullmann D, Frass M. A Review of Homeopathic Research in the treatment for respiratory allergies; Alternative Medicine review. 2010; 15(1). Available from: http://www.thorne.com/altmedrev/.fulltext/15/1/48.pdf
47. Michel Van Wassenhoven. Clinical verification in homeopathy and allergic Conditions. Homeopathy (2013); 102(1):54-58. Available from: http://www.homeopathyjournal.net/article/S1475-4916(12)00086-0/fulltext https://doi.org/10.1016/j.homp.2012.06.002
48. Kent J.T. Lectures on Homeopathic Materia Medica. 2nd rearranged edition, New Delhi: B Jain publishers; 2009.
49. William Boericke. Pocket manual of Homoeopathic Materia Medica. 9th ed. New Delhi: B Jain Publishers; 1987.
50. Kent J.T. Lectures on Homeopathic Philosophy. Ehrhart & Karl Publisher; 1900.
51. Nash E. B. Leaders in Homoeopathic Therapeutics with grouping and classification. 5th ed: B. Jain Publishers; 1992.
52. Murphy Robin. Homeopathic Medical Repertory. 2nd edition. New Delhi: Indian Books & Periodicals Publishers; 2002. 498 p.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International (CC BY-NC 4.0). that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).