Evaluation of Antioxidant Activity and Polyphenols Content of the Hydro-methanolic Extract from Saccocalyx satureioides Coss and Dur
This study aimed to estimate the total phenolic and flavonoid contents and to evaluate the antioxidant activity of the Hydro-methanolic from Saccocalyx satureioides Coss and Dur aerial part. Total polyphenols contents were determined using Folin-Ciocalteu’s reagent. The flavonoids were estimated using the method of Aluminum chloride (AlCl3). The antioxidant capacity was evaluated using two in vitro models (the 1,1-diphenyl-2-picrylhydrazyl (DPPH) and reducing power). Total phenolic and flavonoid content in the extract were 171.34 ±1.43 mg Gallic acid equivalent/g of dry extract (GAE/g) and 18.6 ± 0.46 mg Quercetin equivalent / g of dry extract (QE/g), respectively. The methanol extract has an important capacity to scavenge the free radical DPPH with an IC50 of 0.03 ± 0. 0024 mg/ml. In addition, the plant extract exhibited high reducing power with an IC50 of 0.54 ± 0.00625 mg/ml. The results of the present study may prove that the medicinal plants are a good resource of natural antioxidants.
Keywords: Antioxidant activity, Saccocalyx satureioides, polyphenols, flavonoids.
2. Dian M S, Trilianty L, Fransisca D L, Helena J, Iskandar T. Antioxidant and Anti-Glycation Activity of Ethanol Lemongrass (Cymbopogon citratus) Leaves Extract. International Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemical Research, 2017; 9(5):710-715.
3. Amira S, Dade M, Schinella G, Rios JL. Anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and apoptotic activities of four plant species used in folk medicine in the Mediterraneanbasin. Pak J Pharmaceut Sci. 2012, 25:65-72.
4. Clarice DCV, Mayara B D, Marianne D OM, Marcelo H D S, Alexandre G-P, Fabiana C V. Evaluation of anxiolytic-like effect of 7-epiclusianone isolated from Garcinia brasiliensis in mice. Revista Brasileira de Farmacognosia, 2018;28:378–381.
5. Quezel P, Santa S. Nouvelle flore de l'Algérie et des régions désertiques méridionales. Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Paris. 1963.
6. Kherkhache H, Benabdelaziz I, Silva A M S, Lahrech M B, BenaliaM, Haba H. A new indole alkaloid, antioxidant and antibacterial activities of crude extracts from Saccocalyx satureioides. Natural Product Research, 2018; 34(11):1528-1534.
7. Benahmed M, Djeddi N, Akkal S, Laouar H. Saccocalyx satureioides as corrosion inhibitor for carbon steel in acid solution. Int J Ind Chem, 2016; 7: 109–120.
8. Li HB, Cheng KW, Wong CC, Fan KW, Chen F, Jiang Y. Evaluation of antioxidant capacity and total phenolic content of different fractions of selected microalgae. Food Chem, 2007; 102:771-776.
9. Bahorun T, Gressier B, Trotin F, Brunete C, Dine T, Vasseur J, Luyckx M, Cazin M, Pinkas M. Oxygen species scavenging activity of phenolic extract from Hawthorn fresh plant organs and pharmaceutical preparations. Arzneim Forsch/Drug Res, 1996; 46: 1086-1089.
10. Blois MS. Antioxidant determinations by the use of a stable free radical. Nature, 1958; 181:1199-1200.
11. Burits M, Bucar F. Antioxidant activity of Nigella sativa essential oil. Phytother Res, 2000; 14:323-28.
12. Chung YC, Chen SJ, Hsu CK, Chang CT, Chou ST. Studies on the antioxidative activity of Graptopetalum paraguayense. Food Chemistry, 2005; 91:419-424.
13. Benchikh F, Amira S, Benabdallah, H. The evaluation of antioxidant capacity of different fractions of Myrtus communis L. leaves. Annual Research & Review in Biology, 2018; 22(5):1-14.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).