Anti-Diabetic Potential of Aqueous, Methanolic and Saponin Extract of Leaves of Ziziphus nummlaria Linn.
The aqueous and methanolic extract of the leaves of Zizyphus nummularia were obtained from successive solvent extraction. The methanolic extract was further solvent extracted with water saturated n-butanol solvent and organic layer was acidified with 1 N KOH to obtain the raw saponin extract. Different concentrations of extracts were treated with alpha amylase enzyme in phosphate buffer (pH 6.9), their spectroscopic estimation was done at 540 nm after stopping the reaction with DNS. All the extracts have produced significant enzyme inhibition and their IC50 value was observed to be 114.16 Âµg/ml Â± 1.30 to 137.87 Âµg/ml Â± 1.82.Â
2. Nickavar B, Abolhasani L, Izadpanah H, Î±-Amylase inhibitory activities of six Salvia species, Iran J Pharm Res, 2008, 7(4), 297-303.
3. Imran, M., Khan, M., Akhtar, R., Ahmed, S., & Rageeb, M. Antidiabetic and hypolipidemic effect of methanol extract of stereospermum colais fruit in streptozotocin induced diabetic rats. Journal of Drug Delivery and Therapeutics, 2016; 6(4): 41-47. doi:10.22270/jddt.v6i4.1272
4. Vijayalakshmi K, Selvaraj IC, Sindhu S, Arumugam P, In Vitro Investigation of Antidiabetic Potential of Selected Traditional Medicinal Plants, IJPPR, 2015, 6(4), 856-861.
5. Saraswathy M, Kalimuthu K, Chinnadurai V, Juliet SY, In vitro Evaluation of Antidiabetic and Anti-Inflammatory Activity of Ethanolic and Methanolic Extracts of Ceropegia juncea, BJPR, 2017, 15(2), 1-9.
6. Kadali RM, Das CM, Vijayaraghavan R, Shanmukha I, A study in relation to their hypocholesterolemic and antioxidant effects in Swiss albino mice, Natl J Physiol Pharm Pharmaco, 2017, 7(5), 486-490.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).