Development and Validation of RP-HPLC Method for Estimation of Amlodipine Besylate and Celecoxib in Pharmaceutical Formulation
A simple, precise, accurate, and rapid reverse phase-high performance liquid chromatography (RP-HPLC) method with UV-Visible detector has been developed and subsequently validated for the simultaneous determination of amlodipine besylate(AML) and celecoxib(CEL) in their combined tablet dosage form. The separation was based on the use of a Flowrosil C18 analytical column (250 × 4.6 mm, i.d., 5 µm). The mobile phase consisted of a mixture of 80 volumes of acetonitrile and 20 volumes of water. The chromatography was performed by isocratic elution at a flow rate of 1 mL/min. Analytes were detected at 250 nm, with linear calibration curves at concentration ranges of 2-12 µg/ml and 50-300 µg/ml for AML and CEL respectively. The retention time of AML and CEL were 1.98 and 3.15 min respectively. The recoveries obtained were 99.46‒101.36% for AML, 99.57‒101.42% and 99.96–100.87 % for CEL. The method was validated according to International conference of harmonisation guidelines in terms of accuracy, precision, specificity, robustness, limits of detection and quantitation, and other aspects of analytical validation. The developed method was applied successfully for HPLC analysis of commercial pharmaceutical products including AML and CEL.
Keywords: Amlodipine besylate; Celecoxib; RP-HPLC.
2. Hardman JG, Limbird LE, Gilman AG. Goodman and Gilman's The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics, McGraw Hill, New York, 2001; pp 871.
3. Clemett D, Goa KL, “Celecoxib: a review of its use in osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and acute pain” Drugs 2000; 59(4):957-80.
4. Mengle-Gaw L, Hubbard RC, Karim A. A study of the platelets effects of SC-58635, a novel selective cox-2 inhibitor. Arthiritis Rheum 1997; 40 Suppl: S93
5. The Indian Pharmacopoeia, The Controller of Publications, New Delhi, 1996; 72.
6. British Pharmacopoeia, CD‐ROM, British Pharmacopoeia, HMSO, London, 2001; 72.
7. Ghule AS, Thomas T, Joseph M, Navya Sree KS, Bhat K, “Simultaneous estimation of telmisartan, hydrochlorothiazide and amlodipine besylate in tablet preparation by chemometric asisted spectrophotometric analysis”, Indian Drugs ,2018; 55 (7):59–66.
8. Yadav N, Goyal A, “Simultaneous estimation of aliskiren and amlodipine in combined tablet formulation by simultaneous equation and first derivative spectroscopic methods”, Org. Med. Chem. IJ , 2018; 6(1).
9. Usharani N, Divya K, Ashrtiha VVS, “Development and validation of UV Derivative spectroscopic and RP-HPLC methods for the determination of amlodipine besylate and valsartan in tablet dosage form and comparison of the developed methods by student's T-Test”, Indian J. Pharmaceu. Edu. Res, 2017; 51(4S):S776–SS82.
10. Mohamed AI, Omar MA, Hammad MA, Mohamed AA, “Development and validation of highly sensitive stability indicating spectrofluorimetric method for determination of amlodipine in pharmaceutical preparations and human plasma”, J.Fluoresc, 2016; 26(6):2141–2149.
11. Siridevi PM , Kumar TH, Rao YS, Rao KV, “Simultaneous Spectrophotometric Estimation Of Amlodipine Besylate And Perindopril Erbumine In Tablet Formulation”. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2019; 12(12):6101-6105.
12. Jain DK, Jain N, Sharma HK, Jain R, Jain SK , “Development and validation of RP-HPLC method for estimation of amlodipine besylate, olmesartan medoxomil and hydrochlorthiazide in tablet dosage form” . Int J Res Ayurveda Pharm, 2014; 5(4):523-530.
13. Kumar HT, Asha Ch, “New Validated Stability Indicating RP-HPLC Method For Simultaneous Estimation Of Amlodipine Besylate And Valsartan In Pharmaceutical Formulation” Int J Pharm Sci & Res, 2019; 10(5):2633-43.
14. Kumar HT, Asha Ch, Sankar DG, “Estimation Of Amlodipine Besylate And Irbesartan In Pharmaceutical Formulation By RP-HPLC With Forced Degradation Studies” International Journal of Applied Pharmaceutics 2019; 11(33):159-167.
15. Chandran S, Jadhav PR, Kharwade PB, Saha RN “ Rapid and sensitive spectrofluorimetric method for the estimation of celecoxib and flurbiprofen”, Indian J.Pharm. Sci, 2006; 68 (1):20–25.
16. Dhabu PM, Akamanchi KG, “A stability-indicating HPLC method to determine celecoxib in capsule formulations”, Drug. Dev. Indu. Pharm, 2002; 28 (7) :815–821
17. Bapatu HR, Maram RK, Murthy SR, “Stability-Indicating HPLC method for quantification of celecoxib and diacerein along with Its impurities in capsule dosage form “, J. Chromatogr. Sci, 2015; 53 (1):144–153.
18. Hamama AK, Ray J, Day RO, Brien JE, “Simultaneous determination of rofecoxib and celecoxib in human plasma by high-performance liquid chromatography”, J. Chromatogr. Sci, 2005; 43(7):351–354.
19. Attimarad M, Narayanswamy VK, Aldhubaib BE, SreeHarsha N, Nair AB, “ Development of UV spectrophotometry methods for concurrent quantification of amlodipine and celecoxib by manipulation of ratio spectra in pure and pharmaceutical formulation” PLoS One., 2019; 14(9):21-9
20. Venugopala KN, Aldhubiab BE, Nair AB, SreeHarsha N, Pottathil S, Akrawi SH, "Development of UV Spectrophotometric Procedures for Determination of Amlodipine and Celecoxib in Formulation: Use of Scaling Factor to Improve the Sensitivity", Journal of Spectroscopy, 2019.
21. Mandale TR, Kondawar MS, Kadam SD, “Development and Validation of Analytical Method for Simultaneous Estimation of Amlodipine Besylate and Celecoxib in Pure and Combined Dosage Form” Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2020; 13(9):4280-4284.
22. Kushwaha D, Diwakar S,RoyRK, Karole S, Kushwaha H, Jain P, “Novel UV Spectrophotometer Methods for Quantitative Estimation of Concensi (Amlodipine 10mg and Celecoxib 200mg) Using Hydrotropic Solubilizing Agents” , Journal of Drug Delivery and Therapeutics. 2019; 9(4-A):651-655
23.Venugopala KN, Aldhubiab BE, Nair AB, SreeHarsha N, Pottathil S, Akrawi SH, “Validation of rapid RP-HPLC method for concurrent quantification of amlodipine and celecoxib in pure and formulation using an experimental design” Microchemical journal, 2020; 152,1-8.
24. Hamid MA, Mabrouk MM, Michael MA, “A fast and green reversed‐phase HPLC method with fluorescence detection for simultaneous determination of amlodipine and celecoxib in their newly approved fixed‐dose combination tablets” ,Journal of Separation Science, 2020; 43(16):3197-3205.
25. ICH, Q2 (R1). Validation of analytical procedures: text and methodology international conference on harmonization, Geneva, 2005; pp 1-13.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).