The Hepatoprotector Effect of Uncaria gambir Roxb Extract in Wistar Rats Induced by Paracetamol
Background: Drug induced liver injury (DILI) is known as the damage of liver cells due to chronic administrations of drug. The chronic administration of paracetamol could be trigger the damage of liver cells.The hepatoprotector agents are still limited worldwide. Gambier(Uncaria gambir Roxb) is an Indonesia’traditional medicine which have many benefits as antioxidant, antiseptic, antidiarrhoea, etc that commonly used in society.
Method: The present study was conducted to investigate the hepatoprotector effect ofgambier in wistar rats induced by paracetamol. The wistar rats were divided into seven groups and received the treatment orally for 12 days. Group I (aquadest), II(curcuma,400 mg/kgBW),III (gambier,26 mg/200gr), IV(gambier, 53 mg/200gr), V(gambier,106 mg/200gr),VI(gambier,212 mg/200gr) and VII(gambier,424mg/200gr). Termination, blood and liver organ collection were done after all group induced by paracetamol for two days. Histopatology changes of liver were examined using Hematoxycilline (HE) staining. AST and ALT levels were analyzed.
Results: There were significant differentiation of AST levels among the groups, especially between group I and group IV and between group II and group IV. The ALT levels were statistically significant between group II and group V using Mann-Whitney test (p<0,05). In histopatology examination, there were significant differentiation between group I with another group, not only group II but also group III-VII (p<0,05). In the treatment group, group III and IV had been showed the improvement of liver cells damage than group I by using One-way Annova, post hoc Bonferroni (p<0,05).
Conclusion: Uncaria gambir Roxb has hepatoprotector activity start at dose 53 mg/200grBWin rats. The hepatoprotector activity was not superior than curcuma.
Keywords: hepatoprotector, Uncaria gambir Roxb, AST,ALT,histopatology
2. Ningrum VDA, Megasari A, Hanifah S.Hepatotoksisitas pada pengobatan tuberkulosis di RSUD Tangerang-Indonesia. J. Ilmiah Farm. UII; 2010; 7(1):39-52.
3. Sonderup, MW. Drug Induced Liver Injury is a Significant Cause of Liver. Drug Induced Liver Injuries; 2006; 29(6).
4. Hikmah EN.. Penggunaan Obat-Obatan Penginduksi Hati Terhadap Pasien Gangguan Fungsi Hati di RSUD Dr.Moewardi Tahun 2013. Fakultas Farmasi Universitas Muhammadiyah Surakarta. 2014
5. Katzung BG. Farmakologi dasar dan klinik. Jakarta; EGC; 10th ed. 2010; 479-489
6. Kusuma, Mahardian A. Efek hepatoprotif kurkumin dan beberapa analognya terhadap ketoksikan parasetamol pada tikus wistar jantan. Tesis. S2 Farmasi Universitas Gajah Mada.2008
7. Yunarto N, Elya B, Konadi L.. Potensi fraksi etil asetat ekstrak daun gambir (Uncaria gambir roxb.) sebagai antihiperlipidemia. Jurnal Kefarmasian Indonesia.; 2015; 5(1):1-10
8. Ningsih Sri et al. Evaluation of Antilipid Peroxidation Activity of Gambir Extract on Liver Homogenat In Vitro. International Journal of PharmTech Research.;2014; 6(3):982-989
9. Fahrudin F et al. Efektifitas Ekstrak Daun Gambir (Uncaria gambir (Hunter) Roxb.) Sebagai Hepatoprotektor Pada Tikus (Rattus norvegicus L.) Yang Diinduksi CCL4. Institut Pertanian Bogor. 2015
10. Pane Ys, Ganie Ra, Lindarto D, Lelo A. The Effect Of Gambier Extract On The Levels Of Malondialdehyde, Superoxide Dismutase, And Blood Glucose In Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus Patients. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research. 2018; 11(10):121-124
11. Singh H, Prakash A, Kalia AN, Majeed ABA.. Synergistic hepatoprotective potential of ethanolic extract of Solanum xanthocarpum and Juniperus communis against paracetamol and azithromycin induced liver injury in rats. Journal of Traditional and Complementary Medicine. 2015; 1-7.
12. Departemen Farmakologi dan Terapeutik FK UI. Farmakologi Dan Terapi, edisi 5, Jakarta, Badan Penerbit FK UI.2007
13. Speicher CE, Smith JW. Pemilihan Uji laboratorium Yang Efektif, diterjemahkan oleh Dr. Joko Suyono, Jakarta.Penerbit Buku kedokteran EGC.1993.
14. Akbar N.. Diagnostik Hepatitis Akut dan Kronis. Jakarta: Bagian Ilmu Penyakit dalam FKUI/RSCM.1995
15. Hanje AJ, Chalasani N. How common is chronic liver disease from acute drug induced liver injury? Gastroenterology 2007; 132:2067–8.
16. Williams R. Changing clinical patterns in acute liver failure. J Hepatol 2003; 39:660–1.
17. Letelier ME, Lopes-Valladares M, Peredo-Silva L, Rojas-Sepuvelda D, Aracena P. Microsomal oxidative damage promoted by acetaminophen metabolism. Toxicol in Vitro. 2011 Oct; 25(7):1310-3.
18. Valcheva-Kuzmanova S. Comparative study of the protective effect of Aronia melanocarpa fruit juice and quercetin in a model of paracetamol-induced hepatotoxicity in rats, J Biomed Clin Res, 2015; 8(2):118-123
19. Caro A, Davis A, Fobare S, Horan N, Ryan C, Schwab C. Antioxidant and pro-oxidant mechanisms of (+) catechin in microsomal CYP2E1-dependent oxidative stress. Toxicology in Vitro 54. 2018.
20. Shayiq RM, Roberts DW, Rothstein K, Snawder J E, Benson W, Ma X, et al. Repeat exposure to incremental doses of acetaminophen provides protection against acetaminophen-induced lethality in mice: An explanation for high acetaminophen dosage in humans without hepatic injury. Hepatology. 1999; 29(2):451-63.
21. Satoh T, Igarashi M, Yamada S, Takahashi N, Watanabe K. Inhibitory effect of black tea and its combination with acarbose on small intestinal α-glucosidase activity. J Ethnopharmacol 2015; 161:147-55.
22. Hasti, S et al. Uji Aktivitas Hepatoproteksi dan Toksisitas Akut dari Ekstrak Gambir Terstandarisasi. 2012; 34-38.
23. Rachman,F.Uji Hepatoprotektor Ekstrak Metanol Daun Sambiloto (Andrographis panicualata) Terhadap Kadar Malondialdehid Plasma Tikus Putih Jantan Galur Wistar Yang Diinduksi Parasetamol. Fakultas Kedokteran Universitas Tanjung Pura Pontianak. 2015
24. Hadinata, MT. Uji Efek Hepatoprotektor Ekstrak Temulawak Pada Tikus Putih Jantan Galur Wistar Yang Diinduksi Parasetamol. Fakultas Kedokteran Universitas Muhammadiyah Surakarta. 2016.
25. Wibowo,M.et al. The Hepatoprotectoctive Effect of Ethanol Extract of Syzgium campanulatum (Korrth) and syzygium aromaticum (L) Leaf on Male Wistar Rat was induced by Paracetamol. 15; 2:196-202.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).