Solid lipid nanocarriers as alternative drug delivery system for improved oral delivery of drugs
Oral bioavailability of drugs is mainly limited due to the poor aqueous solubility, enhanced chemical degradation, reduced permeation and/or first pass metabolism. Various novel delivery systems are developed for improved oral bioavailability of these drugs such as modified orals, buccal, transdermal and osmotic delivery systems. Colloidal carrier systems such as nanoparticles, lipid nanoparticles, nanoemulsions, microspheres, liposomes, resealed erythrocytes and transfersomes were also developed to enhance the oral delivery. Among these, solid lipid nanocarriers (SLNs) also gain much attention on the enhancement of oral bioavailability. SLNs are submicron sized nanoparticles and composed of solid lipid, surfactants and cosurfactants. The enhanced oral bioavailability of poorly soluble drugs from SLNs might be due to the reduced particle size, bypassed presystemic metabolism, and enhanced gastric mucosa permeability. Vast literature is available for the advantages, limitations, preparation methods, evaluation parameters and application of SLNs in different routes. This review mainly focused on list of drugs developed as SLNs and considered as an alternative approach to enhance the oral bioavailability based on pharmacokinetic as well as pharmacodyanmic parameters was discussed.
Keywords: Oral bioavailability, solubility, first-pass metabolism, solid lipid nanoparticles, pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics.
2. Blagden N, de Matas M, Gavan PT, York P. Crystal engineering of active pharmaceutical ingredients to improve solubility and dissolution rates. Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews. 2007; 59(7):617–630.
3. Shefter E, Higuchi T. Dissolution behavior of crystalline solvated and nonsolvated forms of some pharmaceuticals. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 1963; 52:781–791.
4. Patil SV, Sahoo SK. Pharmaceutical overview of spherical crystallization. Der Pharmacia Lettre. 2010; 2(1):421–426.
5. Arun B, Narendar D. Enhancement of solubility and dissolution rate of trandolapril sustained release matrix tablets by liquisolid compact approach. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2015; 9(4):290-297.
6. Swetha E, Narendar D. Influence of β-cyclodextrin and hydroxypropyl-β-cyclodextrin on enhancement of solubility and dissolution of isradipine. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Nanotechnology. 2017; 10(3):3752-3757.
7. Palem Chinna Reddy, Narendar D, Satyanarayana Goda and Varsha B Pokharkar. Development and optimization of atorvastatin calcium-cyclodextrin inclusion complexed oral disintegrating tablets for enhancement of solubility, dissolution, pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic activity by central composite design. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Nanotechnology. 2016; 9(2):1-11.
8. Chinna Reddy P, Ramesh G, Narender D, Vamshi Vishnu Y, Madhusudan Rao Y. Transmucosal delivery of domperidone from bilayered buccal patches: in vitro, ex vivo and in vivo characterization. Archives of Pharmacal Research. 2011; 34(10):1701-1710.
9. Palem CR, Dudhipala NR, Battu SK, Repka MA, Rao Yamsani M. Development, optimization and in vivo characterization of domperidone-controlled release hot-melt-extruded films for buccal delivery. Drug development and industrial pharmacy. 2016 Mar 3; 42(3):473-84.
10. Palem CR, Dudhipala N, Battu SK, Goda S, Repka MA, Yamsani MR. Combined dosage form of pioglitazone and felodipine as mucoadhesive pellets via hot melt extrusion for improved buccal delivery with application of quality by design approach. Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology. 2015; 30:209-19.
11. Narendar D, Arjun N, Dinesh S, Karthik J. Biopharmaceutical and preclinical studies of efficient oral delivery of zaleplon as semisolid dispersions with self-emulsifying lipid surfactants. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Nanotechnology. 2016; 9(1):1-8.
12. Doodipala NR, Sunil R, Rao M. Development of floating matrix tablets of Ofloxacin and Ornidazole in combined dosage form: in vitro and in vivo evaluation in healthy human volunteers. International Journal of Drug Delivery. 2012; 4(4):462.
13. Narendar D, Arjun N, Someshwar K, Rao YM. Quality by design approach for development and optimization of Quetiapine Fumarate effervescent floating matrix tablets for improved oral bioavailability. Journal of Pharmaceutical Investigation. 2016 Jun 1; 46(3):253-63.
14. Donthi MR, Dudhipala NR, Komalla DR, Suram D, Banala N. Preparation and Evaluation of Fixed Combination of Ketoprofen Enteric Coated and Famotidine Floating Mini Tablets by Single Unit Encapsulation System. Journal of Bioequivalence & Bioavailability. 2015; 7(6):279.
15. Narendar D, C.R. Palem, S. Reddy and Y. M. Rao. Pharmaceutical development and clinical pharmacokinetic evaluation of gastroretentive floating matrix tablets of levofloxacin. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Nanotechnology. 2011; 4(3):1461-1467.
16. Nagaraj B. Development of osmotically controlled oral drug delivery systems of tramadol hydrochloride: effect of formulation variables on in vitro release kinetics. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2016; 10(03).
17. Arjun N, Narendar D, Sunitha K, Harika K, Nagaraj B. Development, evaluation, and influence of formulation and process variables on in vitro performance of oral elementary osmotic device of atenolol. International journal of pharmaceutical investigation. 2016; 6(4):238.
18. Mahipalreddy D, Narendar D, Devendhar K, Dinesh S, Kiran S, Nagaraj B. Preparation and evaluation of ketoprofen enteric coated mini tablets for prevention of chronic inflammatory disease. J Pharm Drug Deliv Res. 2015; 4(2).
19. Arun B. Reddy and Narendar D. Development of multiple-unit floating drug delivery system of clarithromycin: formulation, in vitro dissolution by modified dissolution apparatus, in vivo radiographic studies in human volunteers. Drug research. 2017; 67:412-418.
20. Donthi MR, Dudipala N, Komalla DR, Suram D, Banala N. Design and Evaluation of Floating Multi Unit Mini Tablets (MUMTS) Muco Adhesive Drug Delivery System of Famotidine to Treat Upper Gastro Intestinal Ulcers. Journal of Pharmacovigilance. 2015 Oct 12.
21. Alekya T, Narendar D, Mahipal D, Arjun N, Nagaraj B. Design and evaluation of chronomodulated drug delivery of tramadol hydrochloride. Drug research. 2018; 68(03):174-80.
22. Rajitha R, Narendar D, Arjun N, Nagaraj B. Colon delivery of Naproxen: Preparation, Characterization and Clinical evaluation in healthy volunteers. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Nanotechnology. 2016; 9(4):3383-9.
23. Krishna VM, Kumar VB, Dudhipala N. In-situ Intestinal Absorption and Pharmacokinetic Investigations of Carvedilol Loaded Supersaturated Self-emulsifying Drug System. Pharmaceutical nanotechnology. 2020 Jun 1; 8(3):207-24.
24. Narendar D and Kishan V. Candesartan cilexetil nanoparticles for improved oral bioavailability. Therapeutic delivery. 2017; 8(2):79-88.
25. Arun B, Arjun. N and Narendar D. Formulation and characterization of Liquid Crystalline Hydrogel of Agomelatin: In vitro and Ex vivo evaluation. Journal of applied Pharmaceutical Science. 2015; 5(9):110-114.
26. Nagaraj K, Narendar D, Kishan V. Development of olmesartan medoxomil optimized nanosuspension using the Box–Behnken design to improve oral bioavailability. Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy. 2017 Jul 3; 43(7):1186-96.
27. Pitta SK, Dudhipala N, Narala A, Veerabrahma K. Development of zolmitriptan transfersomes by Box–Behnken design for nasal delivery: in vitro and in vivo evaluation. Drug development and industrial pharmacy. 2018 Mar 4; 44(3):484-92.
28. Narendar D, Riyaz PMD, Ahmed AY, Nagaraj B. Effect of lipid and edge activator concentration on development of Aceclofenac loaded transfersomes gel for transdermal application: in vitro and ex vivo skin permeation. Drug development and industrial pharmacy. 2020; 46(8):1334-1344.
29. Shruthi K, Narendar D, Arjun N, Kishan V. Development and Antimicrobial Evaluation of Binary Ethosomal Topical Gel of Terbinafine Hydrochloride for the Treatment of Onychomycosis. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Nanotechnology. 2018; 11:3998-4005.
30. Karri V, Arun B, Narender D. Fabrication of efavirenz freeze dried nanocrystals: formulation, physicochemical characterization, in vitro and ex vivo evaluation. Advanced Science, Engineering and Medicine. 2015; 7(5):385-392.
31. Reddy KR, Reddy DN, Botla S, Reddy PG. Development, Characterization and In Vivo Performance of Saquinavir Loaded Lipid Microspheres. Advanced Science, Engineering and Medicine. 2015 Nov 1; 7(11):944-51.
32. Sweeney C, Dudhipala N, Thakkar R, Mehraj T, Marathe S, Gul W, ElSohly MA, Murphy B, Majumdar S. Effect of surfactant concentration and sterilization process on intraocular pressure–lowering activity of Δ 9-tetrahydrocannabinol-valine-hemisuccinate (NB1111) nanoemulsions. Drug delivery and translational research. 2020; 9:1-2.
33. Nagaraj B, Anusha K, Narendar D, Sushma P. Formulation and evaluation of microemulsion-based transdermal delivery of duloxetine hydrochloride. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Nanotechnology. 2020; 13(1):4773-82.
34. Tirumalesh C, Suram D, Dudhipala N, Banala N. Enhanced pharmacokinetic activity of Zotepine via nanostructured lipid carrier system in Wistar rats for oral application. Pharmaceutical Nanotechnology. 2020 Apr 1; 8(2):148-60.
35. Nagaraj B, Tirumalesh C, Dinesh S, Narendar D. Zotepine loaded lipid nanoparticles for oral delivery: development, characterization, and in vivo pharmacokinetic studies. Future Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2020 Dec; 6(1):1-1.
36. Dudhipala N. A Comprehensive review on solid lipid nanoparticles as delivery vehicle for enhanced pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic activity of poorly soluble drugs. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Nanotechnology. 2019; 12:4421-40.
37. Dudhipala N. Influence of solid lipid nanoparticles on pharmaco-dynamic activity of poorly oral bioavailable drugs. international Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Nanotechnology. 2020; 13(4):4979-4983.
38. Mehnert W, Mader K. Solid lipid nanoparticles: Production, characterization and applications. Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews. 2001;47(2-3):165–96.
39. Schwarz C. Solid lipid nanoparticles (SLN) for controlled drug delivery II. Drug incorporation and physicochemical characterization. Journal of microencapsulation. 1999 Jan 1; 16(2):205-13.
40. Müller RH, Radtke M, Wissing SA. Solid lipid nanoparticles (SLN) and nanostructured lipid carriers (NLC) in cosmetic and dermatological preparations. Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews. 2002; 54:S131-55.
41. Dudhipala N, Janga KY, Gorre T. Comparative study of nisoldipine-loaded nanostructured lipid carriers and solid lipid nanoparticles for oral delivery: preparation, characterization, permeation and pharmacokinetic evaluation. Artificial cells, nanomedicine, and biotechnology. 2018 Nov 5; 46(sup2):616-25.
42. Pardeshi C, Rajput P, Belgamwar V, Tekade A, Patil G, Chaudhary K, Sonje A. Solid lipid based nanocarriers: an overview. Acta Pharmaceutica. 2012 Dec 31; 62(4):433-72.
43. Narendar D, Thirupathi G. Neuroprotective effect of ropinirole loaded lipid nanoparticles hydrogel for Parkinson’s disease: preparation, in vitro, ex vivo, pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic evaluation. Pharmaceutics. 2020, 12(5):448.
44. Das S, Chaudhury A. Recent advances in lipid nanoparticle formulations with solid matrix for oral drug delivery. AAPS PharmSciTech. 2011; 12(1):62-76.
45. Naseri N, Valizadeh H, Zakeri-Milani P. Solid lipid nanoparticles and nanostructured lipid carriers: structure, preparation and application. Advanced pharmaceutical bulletin. 2015 Sep; 5(3):305.
46. Dudhipala N, Ay AA. Amelioration of ketoconazole in lipid nanoparticles for enhanced antifungal activity and bioavailability through oral administration for management of fungal infections. Chemistry and Physics of Lipids. 2020 Oct 1; 232:104953.
47. Müller RH, Mäder K, Gohla S. Solid lipid nanoparticles (SLN) for controlled drug delivery–a review of the state of the art. European journal of pharmaceutics and biopharmaceutics. 2000 Jul 3; 50(1):161-77.
48. Wissing SA, Kayser O, Müller RH. Solid lipid nanoparticles for parenteral drug delivery. Advanced drug delivery reviews. 2004 May 7; 56(9):1257-72.
49. Suvarna G, Narender D, Kishan V. Preparation, characterization and in vivo evaluation of rosuvastatin calcium loaded solid lipid nanoparticles. Int J Pharm Sci Nanotech. 2015; 9:2779-85.
50. Gorre TR, Swetha E and Narendar D. Role of isradipine loaded solid lipid nanoparticles in the pharmacodynamic effect of isradipine in rats. Drug research. 2017; 67(03):163-169.
51. Dudhipala, N.; Puchchakayala, G. Capecitabine lipid nanoparticles for anti-colon cancer activity in 1,2-dimethylhydrazine-induced colon cancer: preparation, cytotoxic, pharmacokinetic, and pathological evaluation. Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy 2018; 44:1572–1582.
52. Mehnert W, Mader K. Solid lipid nanoparticles: Production, characterization and applications. Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews. 2001; 47(2-3):165–96.
53. Uner M, Yener G. Importance of solid lipid nanoparticles (SLN) in various administration routes and future perspectives. International Journal of Nanomedicine. 2007; 2(3):289–300.
54. Akshaya Tatke, Narendar Dudhipala, Karthik Yadav Janga, Sai Prachetan Balguri, Bharathi Avula, Monica M. Jablonski Soumyajit Majumdar. In Situ Gel of Triamcinolone Acetonide-Loaded Solid Lipid Nanoparticles for Improved Topical Ocular Delivery: Tear Kinetics and Ocular Disposition Studies. Nanomaterials (Basel). 2018; 9(1). pii: E33. doi: 10.3390/nano9010033.
55. Youssef A, Dudhipala N, Majumdar S. Ciprofloxacin loaded nanostructured lipid carriers incorporated into in-situ gels to improve management of bacterial endophthalmitis. Pharmaceutics. 2020 Jun; 12(6):572.
56. Jenning V, Thünemann AF, Gohla SH. Characterisation of a novel solid lipid nanoparticle carrier system based on binary mixtures of liquid and solid lipids. International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2000 Apr 20; 199(2):167-77.
57. Dingler A, R. P. Blum, H. Niehus, R. H. Muller, S. Gohla. Solid lipid nanoparticles (SLNTM/LipopearlsTM) a pharmaceutical and cosmetic carrier for teh application of vitamin E in dermal products. Journal of microencapsulation. 1999; 16 (6):751-767.
58. Dudhipala N, Youssef AA, Banala N. Colloidal lipid nanodispersion enriched hydrogel of antifungal agent for management of fungal infections: Comparative in-vitro, ex-vivo and in-vivo evaluation for oral and topical application. Chemistry and Physics of Lipids. 2020 Nov 1; 233:104981.
59. Weiss J, Decker EA, McClements DJ, Kristbergsson K, Helgason T, Awad T. Solid lipid nanoparticles as delivery systems for bioactive food components. Food Biophysics. 2008 Jun 1; 3(2):146-54.
60. Müller RH, Runge S, Ravelli V, Mehnert W, Thünemann AF, Souto EB. Oral bioavailability of cyclosporine: solid lipid nanoparticles (SLN®) versus drug nanocrystals. International journal of pharmaceutics. 2006 Jul 6; 317(1):82-9.
61. Müller RH, Runge SA, Ravelli V, Thünemann AF, Mehnert W, Souto EB. Cyclosporine-loaded solid lipid nanoparticles (SLN®): Drug–lipid physicochemical interactions and characterization of drug incorporation. European journal of pharmaceutics and biopharmaceutics. 2008 Mar 1; 68(3):535-44.
62. Alex MA, Chacko AJ, Jose S, Souto EB. Lopinavir loaded solid lipid nanoparticles (SLN) for intestinal lymphatic targeting. European journal of pharmaceutical sciences. 2011 Jan 18; 42(1-2):11-8.
63. Dudhipala N, Veerabrahma K. Pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic studies of nisoldipine-loaded solid lipid nanoparticles developed by central composite design. Drug development and industrial pharmacy. 2015 Dec 2; 41(12):1968-77.
64. Nooli M, Chella N, Kulhari H, Shastri NR, Sistla R. Solid lipid nanoparticles as vesicles for oral delivery of olmesartan medoxomil: formulation, optimization and in vivo evaluation. Drug development and industrial pharmacy. 2017 Apr 3; 43(4):611-7.
65. Veerabrahma K. Development of olmesartan medoxomil lipid-based nanoparticles and nanosuspension: preparation, characterization and comparative pharmacokinetic evaluation. Artificial cells, nanomedicine, and biotechnology. 2018 Feb; 46(1):126.
66. Pandya NT, Jani P, Vanza J, Tandel H. Solid lipid nanoparticles as an efficient drug delivery system of olmesartan medoxomil for the treatment of hypertension. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces. 2018 May 1; 165:37-44.
67. Dudhipala N, Veerabrahma K. Candesartan cilexetil loaded solid lipid nanoparticles for oral delivery: characterization, pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic evaluation. Drug delivery. 2016 Feb 12; 23(2):395-404.
68. Zhang Z, Gao F, Bu H, Xiao J, Li Y. Solid lipid nanoparticles loading candesartan cilexetil enhance oral bioavailability: in vitro characteristics and absorption mechanism in rats. Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology and Medicine. 2012 Jul 1; 8(5):740-7.
69. Gondrala UK, Dudhipala N, Kishan V. Preparation, characterization and in vivo evaluation of felodipine solid-lipid nanoparticles for improved oral bioavailability. Measurement. 2015; 10(10): 2995-3002.
70. Kishan V, Sandeep V, Narendar D, Arjun N. Lacidipine loaded solid lipid nanoparticles for oral delivery: preparation, characterization and in vivo evaluation. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Nanotechnology. 2016; 9(6):3524-30.
71. Dudhipala N, Veerabrahma K. Improved anti-hyperlipidemic activity of Rosuvastatin Calcium via lipid nanoparticles: Pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic evaluation. European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics. 2017 Jan 1; 110:47-57.
72. Padhye SG, Nagarsenker MS. Simvastatin solid lipid nanoparticles for oral delivery: formulation development and in vivo evaluation. Indian journal of pharmaceutical sciences. 2013 Sep; 75(5):591.
73. Wang H, Wang H, Yang W, Yu M, Sun S, Xie B. Improved oral bioavailability and liver targeting of sorafenib solid lipid nanoparticles in rats. AAPS PharmSciTech. 2018 Feb 1; 19(2):761-8.
74. Dudhipala N, Janga KY. Lipid nanoparticles of zaleplon for improved oral delivery by Box–Behnken design: optimization, in vitro and in vivo evaluation. Drug development and industrial pharmacy. 2017 Jul 3; 43(7):1205-14.
75. Gidwani B, Vyas A. Preparation, characterization, and optimization of altretamine-loaded solid lipid nanoparticles using Box-Behnken design and response surface methodology. Artificial cells, nanomedicine, and biotechnology. 2016 Feb 17; 44(2):571-80.
76. Burra M, Jukanti R, Janga KY, Sunkavalli S, Velpula A, Ampati S, Jayaveera KN. Enhanced intestinal absorption and bioavailability of raloxifene hydrochloride via lyophilized solid lipid nanoparticles. Advanced Powder Technology. 2013 Jan 1; 24(1):393-402.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).