Method Development and Validation for Multicomponent Analysis of Rosuvastatin Calcium and Losartan Potassium in Bulk Drug by RP-HPLC
A simple, sensitive and specific liquid chromatographic method was developed for the simultaneous estimation of Rosuvastatin calcium and Losartan potassium in bulk form. Chromatographic conditions included the Column C-18 (Shim-pack) 250 x 4.6 mm, particle size 5 µm , mobile phase acetonitrile, methanol and water pH 3 (orthophosphoric acid) in the ratio 20:25:55 recorded at 233 nm. The retention time were found to be 3.55 and 4.64 min and average percentage recovery 99.42% and 99.63% for Rosuvastatin calcium and Losartan potassium respectively. The proposed method was found to comply with ICH guidelines.
Keyword: Rosuvastatin calcium, Losartan potassium, RP-HPLC, accuracy and linearity.
6. Donald L, Pavia MG, Lampman SGK, JamesR. Introduction to Spectroscopy Department of Chemistry Western Washington University Bellingham, Washington. 2001; 3.
7. Snyder Lloyd R, Kirkland Joseph J, Glajch Joseph J, Practical HPLC Method Development, 2nd Edition
11. Yadav J, Sharma A. A Review on Analytical Methods for Estimation of Aspirin, Clopidogrel Bisulphate and Rosuvastatin Calcium in Pharmaceutical Dosage Form. In Pharmaceutical Dosage Form; PharmaTutor. 2017; 5(9):35-46
12. Telrandhe R. Development and Validation of RP-HPLC method for simultaneous determination of Rosuvastatin and Clopidogrel in Tablet dosage form. 2017; 1-15.
13. Vijayalakshmi R, Kalyani P, Sandya P, Rao PC, Dhanaraju MD. RP-HPLC Method for the Simultaneous Estimation of Perindopril and Losartan in Pure Form and Tablet Formulations. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Drug Research. 2014; 6(1): 75-77.
14. Chaitanya KK, Sankar DG, Samson D. Israel. RP-HPLC Method for the Simultaneous Estimation of Amlodipine and Losartan in Binary Mixture. Department of Pharmaceutical Analysis and Quality Assurance A.U.College of Pharmaceutical sciences, Andhra University, Visakhapatnam-530 003, A.P, India. 2012; 4(3):1144-1152.
15. Anandkumar R, Tengli G, Neeraj BMS. Simultaneous estimation of hydrochlorothiazide, amlodipine, and losartan in tablet dosage form by RP-HPLC Department of Parmaceutical Chemistry, JSS College of Pharmacy, JSS University, S.S. Nagar, Mysore 570015, India. 2013; 4(1): 33-38.
16. Mhaske RA, Sahasrabudhe S, Mhaske AA. RP-HPLC Method for Simultataneous Determination of Irbesartan, Losartan, Hydrochlorothiazide and Chlorthalidone–Application to Commercially Available Drug Products, IJPSR. 2019; 1116-1123.
17. Bhatia NM, Sachin B, Gurav, Swapnil D, Jadhav, Manish S. Bhatia Bharati Vidyapeeth College of Pharmacy, Kolhapur, India Journal of Liquid Chromatography & Related Technologies. 2012; 35(3): 428-443.
18. Oza CK, Prajapati JP, Vyas AJ. Mehta Institute of pharmacy, Nirma University of Science & Technology, Ahmedabad. India. Zydus Research Center, Ahmedabad. India. Bkmody Govt. Pharmacy College Rajkot, India. 2011; 2(1):709-711.
19. Arif HM, Ahsanul HM, Irin D, Hamidul KNM, Hossain KM. Development and Validation of RP-HPLC Method for the Simultaneous Estimation of Hydrochlorothiazide and Losartan Potassium in Tablet Dosage Form, Dhaka Univ. J. Pharm. Sci. 2011; 10(1):35-42.
20. Sreekanth N, Shivshanker K, Shanmuga PP, Roosewelt C,Rao SG, Gunasekaran V. Department of Pharmaceutical Analysis, Vel’s College of Pharmacy Old Pallavaram, Chennai-600 117, India. 2009; 10-15.
21. Dubey R, Bhusari VK, Dhaneshwar SR. Validated RP-HPLC Method for Simultaneous Quantitation of Losartan Potassium and Metolazone in Bulk Drug and Formulation. Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Bharati Vidyapeeth University, Poona College of Pharmacy, Pune, Maharashtra, 411038, India. 2011; 79:545- 554.
22. Malavika. LV, Uttam PD, Satish G, Kiran VP. Mangaonka Simultaneous estimation of aspirin, atenolol, atorvastatin and losartan from their combination dosage form by RP-HPLC. 2012; 35(3): 428-443.
23. Patel B, Alpa J, Solanki H, Parmar , Parmar V, Kumari A. Validated RP-HPLC Method for Simultaneous Quantitation of Losartan Potassium and Metolazone in Bulk Drug and Formulation. Department of Pharmaceutical Science, Sardar Patel University, Vallabh Vidyanagar-388120, Gujarat, India. 2011; 79:545–554.
24. Chaudhary AB, Patel RK, Chaudhary S. Determination of Losartan Potassium and Perindopril Erbumine in Tablet Formulations by Reversed-Phase HPLC, IJCRGG ISSN: 0974-4290. 2010; 2(2):1141-1146.
25. Patil PR, Rakesh, Sachin U. Prof Dhabale, P. N. Prof. K. B. Burade, RP- HPLC Method for Simultaneous Estimation of Losartan potassium and Amlodipine besylate in Tablet Formulation International Journal of ChemTech Research CODEN(USA): IJCRGG. 2009; 1(3): 464-469.
26. Vijayalakshmi R, Kalyani P, SandyaP, Dhanaraju MD. RP-HPLC Method for the Simultaneous Estimation of Atrovastatin and Losartan in Pure and Tablet Formulations. IJRPC 2009; 2(3):2231-2781.
27. Thomas AB, Chavan UB, Nanda RK, Kotha palli LP. Simultaneous Spectrophotometric Estimation of Hydrochlorothiazide, Atenolol and Losartan Potassium in Tablet Dosage Form. Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2009; 8(3):139-141.
28. Jayaseelan S, Rajasekar M, Ganesh S, Sekar V, Perumal P. RP-HPLC method development and validation for simultaneous estimation of Losartan Potassium, Amlodipine Besilate and Hydrochlorthiazide in tablet dosage form. Department of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2010; 2 (3):31-36.
29. Chiu, A.T., McCall, D.E., Price, W.A., Nonpeptide angiotensin II receptor antagonists. VII. Cellular and biochemical pharmacology of DuP 753, an orally active antihypertensive agent. J. Pharmacol. Exp. Ther. 1990; 252:711-718.
30. Prabhakar, A.H., Giridhar, R., A rapid colorimetric method for the determination of Losartan potassium in bulk and in synthetic mixture for solid dosage form, J. Pharm. Biomed. Anal. . 2002; 27(6):861- 866.
31. Saner T, “Determination of Rosuvastatin calcium in its bulk drug and pharmaceutical preparations by high-performance thin-layer chromatography.” J. planar chromatography, 2005; 18:194-198.
32. Sharma MC, Kohli DV, Sharma AD, “A validated HPTLC method for determination of simultaneous estimation Rosuvastatin Calcium and Ezetimibe in pharmaceutical solid dosage form.” Arch. Applied Sci. Res. 2010; 2(1):1-7.
33. ICH guidelines, validation of analytical procedure: Q2A, I.C.H. Harmonized Tripartite Guidelines, 1996.
34. Kavitha, J. and Muralidharan, S. Development and validation of new method for atenolol, hydrochlorothiazide and losartan potassium by RP-HPLC: It’s Application to routine quality control analysis. Int. J. Chem. Tech. Res. 2010; 2:880-884 27
35. Priyanka, R.P., Sachin U.R., Dhabale, P.N. and Burade, K.B. RP - HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of losartan potassium and amlodipine besylate in tablet formulation. Int. J. Chem. Tech. Res. 2009; 1:464-469.
36. Brunetto, M.R.; Contrerasa, Y.; Clavijo, S.; Torresa, D.; Delgadoa, T.; Delgadoa, Y.; Ovalles, F.; Ayala, C.; Gallignania, M.; Gallignania, J. M.; Martin, V. C. Determination of Losartan, Telmisartan, and Valsartan by Direct Injection of Human Urine into a Column-Switching Liquid Chromatographic System with Fluorescence Detection. J. Pharm. Biomed. Anal. 2009; 50:194–199
37. Pournima P, Vaishali B. Spectrophotometric method for simultaneous determination of olmesartan medoxomil and amlodipine besylate from tablet dosage form. Int J Curr Pharm Res. 2011; 3(2):74e79.
38. Williams RC, Alasandro MS. Comparison of liquid chromatography, capillary electrophoresis and super-critical fluid chromatography in the determination of losartan potassium drug substance in Cozaar tablets. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 1996; 14(11):1539e1546.
39. Furtek CI and Lo MW. Simultaneous determination of a novel angiostensin II receptor blocking agent, Losartan and its metabolite in human plasma and urine by high performance liquid chromatography. J Chroma Biomed Appn. 1992; 573:295-301.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).