Efficient Enhancement in Itraconazole Solubility through its Cyclodextrin-Water Soluble Polymer Ternary Inclusion Complexes
The aim of this work is the enhancement of the hydrosolubility behaviour of a poorly soluble, weakly basic drug, using itraconazole (ITZ) as a case example. Binary inclusion complexes of ITZ with β-cyclodextrin (β-CD) are prepared in 1:2 molar ratios of ITZ to β-CD by co-evaporation method. Both solubility and dissolution behaviour are compared with that of the pure drug. Ternary complexes can be obtained by adding the polyvinylpirrolidone (PVP) which is a highly water soluble polymer, in the ITZ/ β-CD complex formation. Actually, Solid state analysis is performed for all formulations and for pure ITZ applying the Fourier transforms infrared (FT-IR) spectroscopy, powder X-ray diffraction (pX-RD) and differential scanning calorimetry (DSC). Solubility tests indicate that with all formulation, the solubility of ITZ formed with β-CD or β-CD and PVP proved to be increased. The obtained results show that the pure drug has a poor dissolution property, and the ternary inclusion complexes resulted in fast and extensive release of ITZ.
Keywords: Itraconazole, β-cyclodextrin, polyvinylpyrrolidone.
2. Neslihan Gursoy R, Benita S. Self-emulsifying drug delivery systems (SEDDS) for improved oral delivery of lipophilic drugs. Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy. 1 avr 2004; 58(3):173‑82.
3. Lakshman JP, Cao Y, Kowalski J, Serajuddin ATM. Application of Melt Extrusion in the Development of a Physically and Chemically Stable High-Energy Amorphous Solid Dispersion of a Poorly Water-Soluble Drug. Mol Pharmaceutics. 1 déc 2008; 5(6):994‑1002.
4. Da Costa MA, Seiceira RC, Rodrigues CR, Hoffmeister CRD, Cabral LM, Rocha HVA. Efavirenz Dissolution Enhancement I: Co-Micronization. Pharmaceutics. mars 2013; 5(1):1‑22.
5. Ren F, Jing Q, Tang Y, Shen Y, Chen J, Gao F, et al. Characteristics of Bicalutamide Solid Dispersions and Improvement of the Dissolution. Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy. 1 janv 2006; 32(8):967‑72.
6. Blagden N, de Matas M, Gavan PT, York P. Crystal engineering of active pharmaceutical ingredients to improve solubility and dissolution rates. Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews. 30 juill 2007; 59(7):617‑30.
7. Dewaard H, Hinrichs WLJ, Visser MR, Bologna C, Frijlink HW. Unexpected differences in dissolution behavior of tablets prepared from solid dispersions with a surfactant physically mixed or incorporated. International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 12 févr 2008; 349(1):66‑73.
8. Wang J, Cai Z. Investigation of inclusion complex of miconazole nitrate with β-cyclodextrin. Carbohydrate Polymers. 5 mai 2008; 72(2):255‑60.
9. Eid EEM, Abdul AB, Suliman FEO, Sukari MA, Rasedee A, Fatah SS. Characterization of the inclusion complex of zerumbone with hydroxypropyl-β-cyclodextrin. Carbohydrate Polymers. 1 févr 2011; 83(4):1707‑14.
10. Ribeiro LSS, Ferreira DC, Veiga FJB. Physicochemical investigation of the effects of water-soluble polymers on vinpocetine complexation with β-cyclodextrin and its sulfobutyl ether derivative in solution and solid state. European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 1 nov 2003; 20(3):253‑66.
11. Shanmuga Priya A, Sivakamavalli J, Vaseeharan B, Stalin T. Improvement on dissolution rate of inclusion complex of Rifabutin drug with β-cyclodextrin. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules. 1 nov 2013; 62:472‑80.
12. Cevher E, Açma A, Sinani G, Aksu B, Zloh M, Mülazımoğlu L. Bioadhesive tablets containing cyclodextrin complex of itraconazole for the treatment of vaginal candidiasis. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules. 1 août 2014; 69:124‑36.
13. Brewster ME, Loftsson T. Cyclodextrins as pharmaceutical solubilizers. Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews. 30 juill 2007; 59(7):645‑66.
14. Sarah G, Robert CS. 2-Hydroxypropyl-β-cyclodextrin (HP-β-CD): a toxicology review. Food and Chemical Toxicology. 2005; 43:1451–1459.
15. Szejtli J. Medicinal Applications of Cyclodextrins. Medicinal Research Reviews. 1994; 14(3):353‑86.
16. Anwer MK, Jamil S, Ansari MJ, Al-Shdefat R, Ali BE, Ganaie MA, et al. Water soluble binary and ternary complexes of diosmin with β-cyclodextrin: Spectroscopic characterization, release studies and anti-oxidant activity. Journal of Molecular Liquids. 1 nov 2014; 199:35‑41.
17. Van-Thanh T, Vinh PVQ, Van-Hoa H. Research and Preparation of Solid Dispersion of Itraconazole in Hydroxypropyl-Beta-Cyclodextrin. In: Toi VV, Lien Phuong TH, éditeurs. 5th International Conference on Biomedical Engineering in Vietnam. Cham: Springer International Publishing; 2015. p. 306‑10. (IFMBE Proceedings).
18. Sambasevam KP, Mohamad S, Sarih NM, Ismail NA. Synthesis and Characterization of the Inclusion Complex of β-cyclodextrin and Azomethine. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. févr 2013; 14(2):3671‑82.
19. Rajashree H, Vilasrao K. Preparation and characterization of inclusion complexes of carvedilol with methylbcyclodextrin. J Incl Phenom Macrocycl Chem. 2009; 63:219–24.
20. Boldescu V, Kacso I, Borodi G, Bratu I, Duca G. Physicochemical characterization of sanguinarine-hydroxypropyl-β-cyclodextrin binary and ternary systems. J Incl Phenom Macrocycl Chem. 1 oct 2008; 62(1):143‑8.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).