Investigation of anti-inflammatory activity of ethanolic extract of Aconitum Napellus Linn against carrageenan induced paw edema in rats
The Indian herbal medicine is evaluated by comprehensive activity of research on herbal plant species and their therapeutic principles in the whole world. In traditional and modern medicine, the medicinal plants are used which have shown their potential in possessing potent bioactive compound. A large number of populations suffer due to various reasons from rheumatoid arthritis of unknown inflammation. The present work is to investigation of anti-inflammatory activity of herbal extracts of Aconitum Napellus Linn against carrageenan induced paw edema in rats. Aconitum Napellus Linn plant extracts used in traditional medicine was investigated for their anti-inflammatory potential against adjuvant carrageenan induced inflammation. Maceration method was used for preparing ethanolic extract. In adjuvant carrageenan induced inflammation, orally administered extracts (100 mg/kg), inhibited the acute as well as chronic inflammation. The ethanolic herbal extract of plant under investigation showed potent anti-inflammatory activity. The anti-inflammatory activity of the extracts was compared to reference drug, diclofenac (10 mg/kg).
Keywords: Anti-inflammatory, Paw edema, Aconitum napelluslinn, Maceration.
2. Saha A, Masud MA, Bachar SC, Kundu JK, Datta BK, Nahar L, Sarker SD, The analgesic and anti-Inflammatory activities of the extracts of Phyllanthus reticulatus in mice model: Pharmaceutical Biology, 2007; 45(5): 355-359.
3. Tripathi KDT, Essential of Medical Pharmacology, Jaypee Brothers Medical Publisher (P) Ltd: 2010; 6:184-185.
4. Winter C A, Risely EA, Nuss G W, Carrageenan induced paw edema in hind paw of the rats as assay for anti-inflammatory drugs. Proc. Soc. Exp. Bio. Med 1962; 111:544-547.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (SeeÂ The Effect of Open Access).