Drug Utilization Study and Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting among Patients Using Anticoagulants in a Tertiary Care Teaching Hospital

  • Nafaa Alzubaidi Department of Pharmacology, School of Pharmaceutical Education and Research, Jamia Hamdard University, New Delhi, 110062, India
  • Manju Sharma Department of Pharmacology, School of Pharmaceutical Education and Research, Jamia Hamdard University, New Delhi, 110062, India
  • Watheeq Abdulmalik Department of Pharmacology, School of Pharmaceutical Education and Research, Jamia Hamdard University, New Delhi, 110062, India
  • Anwar Habib Department of Medicine, HIMSR, Jamia Hamdard University, New Delhi, India.
  • Abdulsalam Alhalmi Department of Pharmaceutical Science, Collage of Pharmacy, Aden University, Yemen.

Abstract

Drug utilization (DU) is systematic regulatory approach designed to identify diversity of drugs use and to evaluate the rational use of medicines in population. Anticoagulants are drugs used to avoid thrombus extension and embolic consequences with associated risks related to their administration. Objectives: The objectives of the present study were to evaluate the drug prescription pattern of anticoagulants, observe and report drug interactions and adverse drug reactions among patients using anticoagulants. Method: Utilization of anticoagulant drugs was evaluated in 50 patients from 4 wards (dialysis, medicine, orthopedic and intensive-care unit) of a tertiary care teaching hospital in a cross-sectional, prospective study conducted for 4 months i.e. from 1st January 2018 to 30th April 2018. Results: LMWH (enoxaparin) was the maximum preferred parenteral anticoagulant prescribed to 31 % of patients as prophylaxis for deep vein thrombosis followed by heparin. 14(28%) of total population were administered combination therapy and 36 (72%) patients received only one anticoagulant drug during hospitalization. The most prescribed drug combination was enoxaparin+warfarin followed by enoxaparin+acenocoumarol. For discharge medicines, 14 patients were prescribed oral anticoagulants; 9 (64.3%) patients were prescribed with warfarin and the remaining 5 (35.7%) patients were given acenocoumarol. 28(56%) patient’s laboratory tests were evaluated for parameters like prothrombine time (PT) and international normalized ratio (INR). In the remaining 22(44%) patients, the above tests were not performed. Sixteen drug interactions were identi­fied, ten were pharmacodynamics and the rest six were pharmacokinetic interac­tions. Three adverse drug reactions were reported during the study. The need for dosage adjustment in differ­ent diagnostic situations or specific populations is very crucial. Conclusion: The therapy with these drugs needs to be cost effective and reduce the complications associated with their use.


Keywords:  Anticoagulants, Drug utilization evaluation, Drug interactions.

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.

Author Biographies

Nafaa Alzubaidi, Department of Pharmacology, School of Pharmaceutical Education and Research, Jamia Hamdard University, New Delhi, 110062, India

Department of Pharmacology, School of Pharmaceutical Education and Research, Jamia Hamdard University, New Delhi, 110062, India

Manju Sharma, Department of Pharmacology, School of Pharmaceutical Education and Research, Jamia Hamdard University, New Delhi, 110062, India

Department of Pharmacology, School of Pharmaceutical Education and Research, Jamia Hamdard University, New Delhi, 110062, India

Watheeq Abdulmalik, Department of Pharmacology, School of Pharmaceutical Education and Research, Jamia Hamdard University, New Delhi, 110062, India

Department of Pharmacology, School of Pharmaceutical Education and Research, Jamia Hamdard University, New Delhi, 110062, India

Anwar Habib, Department of Medicine, HIMSR, Jamia Hamdard University, New Delhi, India.

Department of Medicine, HIMSR, Jamia Hamdard University, New Delhi, India.

Abdulsalam Alhalmi, Department of Pharmaceutical Science, Collage of Pharmacy, Aden University, Yemen.

Department of Pharmaceutical Science, Collage of Pharmacy, Aden University, Yemen.

References

1. Bapna JS, Tripathi CD and Tekur U: Drug utilisation patterns in the third world. Pharmacoeconomics 1996; 9(4):286–94.
2. Naqvi SE, Haseen MA, Beg MH, Ali E and Khan T: Deep vein thrombosis: An experience of 25 years from north India. Indian Journal of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery 2016 Jan 1; 3(1):2.
3. Geerts WH and Pineo GF: prevention of thromboembolism. The seventh ACCP Conference on antithrombotic and thrombolytic 2004; 126(3):338S–400S.
4. Imberti D, Becattini C, Bernardi E, Camporese G, Cuccia C, Dentali F and Paretti D: Multidisciplinary approach to the management of patients with pulmonary embolism and deep vein thrombosis: a consensus on diagnosis, traditional therapy and therapy with rivaroxaban. Internal and Emergency Medicine 2018 Oct 1; 13(7):1037-49.
5. Cestac P, Bagheri H, Lapeyre-Mestre M, Sié P, Fouladi A, Maupas E, Léger P, Fontan B, Massip P and Montastruc JL: Utilization and safety of low molecular weight heparins. Drug Safety 2003 Mar 1; 26(3):197-207.
6. Singh V, Gopinath K, Behzadpour A and Meera NK: Anticoagulant utilization evaluation in a Tertiary Care Teaching Hospital: An observational prospective study in medical in patients. Indian Journal of Pharmacy Practice 2015 Apr; 8(2):61.
7. Koren‐Michowitz M, Avni B, Michowitz Y, Moravski G, Efrati S and Golik A: Early onset of hyperkalemia in patients treated with low molecular weight heparin: A prospective study. Pharmacoepidemiology and Drug Safety 2004 May; 13(5):299-302.
8. Schrader J, Valentin R, Tönnis HJ, Hildebrand U, Stibbe W, Armstrong VW, Kandt M, Köstering H and Quellhorst E: Low molecular weight heparin in hemodialysis and hemofiltration patients. Kidney International 1985 Nov 1; 28(5): 823-9.
9. Jaffin BW, Bliss CM and Lamont JT: Significance of occult gastrointestinal bleeding during anticoagulation therapy. The American Journal of Medicine 1987 Aug 1; 83(2): 269-72.
Statistics
21 Views | 67 Downloads
How to Cite
Alzubaidi, N., Sharma, M., Abdulmalik, W., Habib, A., & Alhalmi, A. (2019). Drug Utilization Study and Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting among Patients Using Anticoagulants in a Tertiary Care Teaching Hospital. Journal of Drug Delivery and Therapeutics, 9(3-s), 181-185. https://doi.org/10.22270/jddt.v9i3-s.2820