Development and Validation of UV Spectrophotometric Method for Simultaneous Estimation of Metformin HCl and Repaglinide in Pharmaceutical Formulation
Objective: A new, simple, rapid, accurate and economical method have been developed for the simultaneous estimation of Metformin HCl and Repaglinide in formulation.
Method: The absorbances of both the drugs were determined at 238 nm and at 294 nm. The linearity was observed in the concentration range of 2-100 µg/ml and 1-35 µg/ml for Metformin HCl and Repaglinide respectively. The method was validated as per ICH guidelines.
Result: The recovery of Metformin and Repaglinide was found in the range of 98.24 ± 0.325 to 100.25 ± 0.756.
Conclusion: The proposed method was accurate, reproducible and economical and can be used successfully for quantitative estimation of Metformin HCl and Repaglinide in bulk and tablet dosage form.
Keyword:- Metformin, Repaglinide, UV- spectrophotometric method, simultaneous estimation
2. Budavari S, The Merck Index, 13 Ed. Whitehouse station, (NJ, USA), 2001. P.790
3. Boyles S., Popular Diabetes Drugs Tied to Heart Failure, Diabetes Health Center, WebMd Health News. December,2009 http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/news/20091204/metformin-vs-sulfonylureas-for-
4. Sharma B. K, Instrumental Method of Chemical Analysis, 25th edition, Krishna Prakashan Media Ltd, Meerut, 2006. P. 183-184.
5. Nishith Patel et al. Development and Validation of UV Spectrophotometric Method for Simultaneous Estimation of Metformin HCL and Repaglinide in Bilayer Tablet. Journal of Pharmaceutical Science and Bioscientific Research, 2015; 5(1):104-109.
6. ICH Validation of analytical procedure: Methodology, (Q2A). International conference on Harmonization, Geneva, 1996.
7. Indian Pharmacopoeia, Government of India Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Vol 2, 3, 2014, P. 2186, 2650.
8. SJoshi SS et al. Validated Stability-Indicating RP-HPLC UV Method for Simultaneous Determination of Metformin and Repaglinide. Acta Chromatographica 2012; 1–14.
9. Patel N et al. Development and Validation of UV Spectrophotometric Method for Simultaneous Estimation of Metformin HCL and Repaglinide in Bilayer Tablet. Journal of Pharmaceutical Science and Bioscientific Research, 2015; 5(1):104-109.
10. Serap Saglik Aslan et al. Derivative Spectrophotometric and Isocratic High Performance Liquid Chromatographic Methods for Simultaneous Determination of Repaglinide and Metformin Hydrochloride in Pharmaceutical Preparations. American Journal of Analytical Chemistry, 2017; 8:541-552
11. Manal M. Fouad et al. Development and Validation of Chromatographic and Spectroscopic Methods for Estimation of Repaglinide and Metformin HCl in Combined Dosage Form. Journal of Global Trends in Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2014; 5(3):844–1848
12. Patel J.R, Suhagia B.N, Patel B.H, Simultaneous Spectrophotometric Estimation of Metformin and Repaglinide in a synthetic mixture, Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2007; 69(6):844-846
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (SeeÂ The Effect of Open Access).