Development of sustained release formulation of glipizide using natural polymer from Tamrindus indica for better patient compliance
The study was to design a drug product to reduce the frequency of dosing, increase therapeutic effectiveness and improvement in patient compliance, by developing sustained release matrix tablet of Glimepiride using tamrind gum as a release modifier. In current study tamrind gum is used as a polymer which is investigated for sustained release carrier. The pre-formulation studies of drug excipient mixtures were performed. The tablets formulated were evaluated by physicochemical studies, in- vitro drug release, kinetic studies and stability studies. Drug and polymers has no interaction as observed by FTIR and UV studies. All the physicochemical parameters of tablets were found in the limits. Glimepiride is used in the treatment type II diabetes mellitus and is a first third generation sulphonyl urea agent. The drug release pattern was studied for extended period of 12 hrs for the optimized formulations. The release of drug under kinetic studies showed that it follows first order models. The different tablet formulations were put to stability studies and it was observed that there were no significant changes in release pattern, physicochemical parameters and drug content. The present study result indicates the suitability of the tamrind gum polymer in the preparation of sustained release formulations of glimepiride.
Keywords: Sustained Release, Glipizide , Natural Polymer, Tamrindus Indica
2. Abdulsalam Alhalmi, Marwan Altowairi, Omer Saeed, Nafaa Alzubaidi, Marwan Almoiliqy, Watheeq Abdulmalik; Sustained Release Matrix System: An Overview, World Journal of Pharmacy And Pharmaceutical Sciences; 2018; 7(6):1470-1486.
3. Singh, Rupali; Malviya, Rishabha; Sharma, Pramod; ‘’Extraction and Characterization of Tamrind seed polysaccharide as a Pharmaceutical Excipients”, Pharmacognosy Journal, 2011; 3(20):17.
4. Abdul HM, Lokeswara BV, Pal N; Formulation and Evaluation of Sustained Release Matrix Tablets of Glimepiride Based on Combination of Hydrophilic and Hydrophobic Polymers; Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science; 2012; 2(6):101-107.
5. Hemalatha S, Srikanth P, Mounica Sai G; Formulation and Evaluation of Bilayered Tablets Containing Immediate Release Layer of Glimepiride Complexed with Mangifera indica Gum and Sustained Release Layer Containing Metformin HCL by Using HPMC as Release Retardant, International Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research 2017; 9(6):455-461.
6. American Diabetes Association. Economic cost of diabetes in the US in 2002. Diabetes Care. 2003; 26:917-932.
7. “Diabetes Blue Circle Symbol”. International Diabetes Federation. 17 March 2006. http.//www.diabetesbluecircle.org. Rother KI. “Diabetes treatment – bridging the divide”. The New Eng J Med. 2007; 15:1499-1501.
8. Wild S., Roglic G., Gree A., Sicree R., King H. Global Prevalence of Diabetes: Estimates for the year 2000 and projections for 2030. Diabetes Care. 2004; 27:1047-1053.
9. Leon Lachman., Herbert Lieberman A. The theory and practice of industrial pharmacy. Special Indian edition 2009: 293-373.
10. Prakash P and Kumar N; Evaluation and comparison of sustained Release Matrix Tablet of diclofenac Sodium Using Natural Polymer; International Journal of Research in pharmaceutical and biomedical Sciences Formulation. 2013; 4(1):367-379.
11. Kannan S, Manivannan R, Ganesan K, Nishad PK, Senthil Kumar N. Formulation and Evaluation of Sustained Release Tablets of Aceclofenac using Hydrophilic Matrix System. Int J PharmTech Res, 2010; 2(3):1775- 1780.
12. Patel R, Baria A; Formulation development and process optimization of theophylline sustained release matrix tablet; Int J of Pharmacy and Pharm Sci. 2009; 1(2):30-42.
13. Narasimha Reddy D., Srinath M S., Abdul Ahad H, Kishore Kumar Reddy B., Vamsi Krishna Reddy P., Krishna Mahesh Ch., Kranthi G., Raghavendra P. Formulation and in-vitro Evaluation of Glimepiride and Parecoxib Combination Mucoadhesive Tablets. Der Pharmacia Lettre. 2011; 3(1):185-192.
14. Chandra Sekhar Y., Venu V., K.Jaganathan, Senthil Selvi R., Perumal P. Formulation and in-vitro evaluation of sustained release matrix tablets of glimepiride by using natural gums as release modifiers. J Global Trends in Pharm Sci. 2011; 2(4):394-403.
15. Jamzad, S and Fassihi, R; Development of a controlled release low dose class II drug-glimepiride; Int. J. Pharmaceutics, 2006; 312(1-2):24-32.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).