Phytochemical investigation and determination of phytoconstituents in flower extract of Nelumbo nucifera
The aim of this study seeks to investigate the presence of qualitative and quantitative analysis of phytoconstituents of the flower of the plant Nelumbo nucifera. The present study provides evidence that successive solvent extract of Nelumbo nucifera contains medicinally important bioactive compounds and this justifies the use of plant species as traditional medicine for treatment of various diseases. Maximum phenolic and flavanoid content was observed in ethanolic extract of Nelumbo nucifera. The DPPH scavenging potential of the ethanolic extracts of the herbs ranged from 33%-55%. In the present study analysis of free radical scavenging activity and total phenolic and flavonoid content showed that mainly the ethanolic extract of flower extract can be the potent source of natural antioxidants.
Keywords: Phytochemical, Ethanolic extract, Antioxidant activity, Nelumbo nucifera
2. Branen AL. Toxicology and biochemistroy of butylated hydroxyanisole and butylated hydroxytolune. J Am.oil chem.soc:1997; 52(2):52-63.
3. Lai LS, Chou ST et al. Studdies on the antioxidant activities of Hsiantsao (mesonaprocumbens Hemssl) leaf gum. J. Agric. Food Chem: 2001; (49)496:.968.
4. Khare CP. Indian Medicinal Plants: an illustrated dictionary. New Delhi: Springer International; 2007.
5. Mukherjee, PK. Quality Control of Herbal Drugs”, 2nd Edition, Business Horizons: 2007 .p. 2-14.
6. Wadood A, Ghufran M, Jamal SB. Phytochemical analysis of medicinal plants occurring in local area of mardan department of biochemistry. Biochem Anal Biochem: 2013; 2:144.
7. Olufunmiso, Olajuyigbe O, Afolayan, Anthony J. Phenolic conyent and antioxidant property of the bark extract of Ziziphus mucronata wild. Subsp. Mucronata wild, BMC, Complementary and alternative medicine: 2011; 11:130.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).