Formulation and evaluation of deflazacort loaded mucoadhesive microsphere for colon drug delivery system
Irritable bowel disease is very common colon disease. Deflazacort is one of the best drug with clinical activity against Irritable bowel disease. Microsphere system are effectively protect drugs against premature degradation, to localize drug molecules at the target site of action and to control the time and rate of release. Mucoadhesive microspheres enhance the bioavailability of orally given drugs by lengthened contact time of drug with the intestinal mucosa. The main disadvantage of these microspheres is adherence to the substrate by non-specific interaction. To overcome this limitation, microspheres are prepared by emulsification method to treat irritable bowel disease. Chitosan microspheres were prepared by Ionotropic Gelation method. Microspheres were coated with Eudragil S using solvent evaporation method.
Keywords: Deflazacort, Mucoadhesive, Microspheres, Irritable bowel disease
2. Sarasija S, Hota: A colon specific drug delivery system. Indian J Pharmaceutical Sci.. 2000; 62:1-8.
3. Asane, G.S. “ Mucoadhesive gastrointestinal drug delivery system.” Pharmainfo.net -2007, 5(6). 1-2.
4. Baumgart DC: Treatment of inflammatory bowel disease: A review of medical therapy. World J.Gastroenterol. 2008; 21:354-377
5. Patel, J.K. et al. “Formulation and evaluation of mucoadhesive Glipzide microspheres”. AAPS PharmsciTech-2005. 06 (1), E 49-E50.
6. Das MK, Senapati PC. Evaluation of furosemide-loaded alginate microspheres prepared by ionotropic external gelation technique. Acta Pol Pharm 2007;64:253-62.
7. Hori M, Onishi H, Machida Y. Evaluation of Eudragit-coated chitosan microparticles as an oral immune delivery system. Int J Pharm. 2005; 297:223–234
8. Thakral NK, Ray AR, Majumdar DK. Eudragit S-100 entrapped chitosan microspheres of valdecoxib for colon cancer. J Mater Sci:Mater Med. 2010;21:2691–2699
9. Paharia, A. et al “Eudragit-coated pectin microspheres of 5-Fluorouracil for colon targeting”. AAPS ParmsciTech-2007. 8 (1), E1-E7.
10. Khan MZ, Stedul HP, Kurjaković N. A pH-dependent colon-targeted oral drug delivery system using methacrylic acid copolymers. II. Manipulation of drug release using eudragit L100 and eudragit S100 combinations. Drug Dev Ind Pharm 2000;26:549-54
11. Rahman, Z. et al, “Characterization of 5-FU microspheres for colon delivery”. AAPS PharmSciTech-2006. 7 (2), 47-53.
12. Akbuğa J, Bergişadi N. Effect of formulation variables on cis-platin loaded chitosan microsphere properties. J Microencapsul
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).