LYOPHILIZED INJECTION: A MODERN APPROACH OF INJECTABLE DOSAGE FORM
Now-a-days, lyophilized injection dosage form is extensively used to improve the bioavailability, stability, solubility and patient compliance. The lyophilized injection has considered as alternative to oral solid dosage forms for better patient compliance especially in bed ridden patients and for attaining maximum bioavailability, improved stability. The lyophilized injection reconstitute before injection to produce liquid injection. This review includes a detailed updated concept on lyophilized injection.
Keywords: Lyophilized injection, parenteral, freeze drying
2. Loyd V allen, Jr., Nicholas G.popovich, Howard C.Ansel. Ansel’s Pharmaceutical dosage forms and drug delivery systems, 9th ed.Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2011. Section I,Introduction to drugs, drug dosage forms, and drug delivery systems, Chapter 2, New drug development and Approval process; p.27
5. Kudra T, Mujumdar AS. Advanced Drying Technologies, Second edition. CRC Press;2009:438.http://book.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=Ksn4Z1_YQdAC&pgis=1. Accessed February 10,2018
6. Ratti C. Hot air and freeze-drying of high-value foods: a review. J Food Eng. 2001; 49(4):31-319.doi:10.1016/S0260-8774(00)00228-4
7. Bubnovich V, Reyes a., Quijada E, Mahn a.Numerical simulation of lyophilization of carrot slices at atmospheric pressure in a fluidized bed. J Food Eng. 2012; 109(4):659-667.doi:10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2011.11.030
8. Lopez-quiroga E, Alonso A a, Antelo LT. A novel approach for optimal operation of freeze-drying processes based on time-scale model decomposition.
9. Oetjen G-W, HASELEY P. Freeze-Drying.G.W.oetejen, ed. Encycl Sep Sci Elsevier Sci.2000; 1023-1034.
10. Tushar. R. Jadav, Moon RS, Review on lyophilization technique, World journal of pharmacy and pharmaceutical sciences, 2015, 4(5):1906-1928.
11. Shirakshi R, Tanasawa I. Method of designing pre-freezing protocol in cryopreservation of biological materials. In: Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. 1998; 858:175-182. doi:10.1111/j.1749-6632.1998.tb10151.x.
12. Pearce R. Plant freezing and damage. Ann Bot. 2001; 87:417-424. doi:10.1006/anbo.2000.1325.
13. Yin M. Effect of pre-freezing rate on porosity ratio and mechanical property of pig aorta. Front Biosci. 2012; 17:575. doi:10.2741/3945.
14. Labonco. A Guide to Freeze Drying for the Laboratory. 2004:1-12.http://Chiron.no/pdf/Labonco_guide_to_freeze_drying.pdf.
15. Leahy T, Marti JI, Mendoza N, et al. High pre-freezing dilution improves post-thaw function of ram spermatozoa. Anim Reprod Sci. 2010; 119:137-146. doi:10.1010/j.anireprosci.2009.12.003.
16. Utrera M, Armenteros M, Ventanas S, Solano F, Estevez M. Pre-freezing raw hams affects quality traits in cooked hams: Potential influence of protein oxidation. Meat Sci. 2012; 92:596-603. doi:1.1016/j.meatsci.2012.06.005.
17. Lopez-Uruena E, Alvarez M, Gomes-Alves S, et al. Tolerance of brown bear spermatozoa to conditions of pre-freezing cooling rate and equilibration time. Theriogenology. 2014; 81:1229-1238. doi:10.1016/j.theriogenology.2014.2.004
18. Ruiz L, Echegaray A, Lafuente A. Seminal freezing in pure breed andalusian horse: Difference in individual stallions and correlation between pre and post-freezing sperm parameters. Cryo-Letters. 2011;3 2:473-476
19. Rio Segade S, Torchio F, Giacosa S,et al. Impact of several pre-treatments on the extraction of phenolic compounds in winegrape varieties with different profiles and skin mechanical properties. J Agric Food Chem. 2014; 62(33):8437-8451. doi:10.1021/jf502656d.
20. Silva ALP, Enggrob K, Slotsbo S, Amorim MJB, Holmstrup M. Importance of freeze-thaw events in low temperature ecotoxicology of cold tolerant enchytraeids. Environ Sci Technol. 2014; 48(16):9790-9796. doi:10.1021/es502161z.
21. Kasper JC, Friess W. The freezing step in lyophilization: Physico-chemical fundamentals, freezing methods and consequences on process performance and quality attributes of biopharmaceuticals. Eur J Pharm Biopharm. 2011; 78(2):248-263. doi:10.1016/j.ejpb.2011.03.010.
22. Prajit kumar Acharya, Saurabh Seth MS. Overview of process validation for lyophilized products. J Drug Disco Ther.2013; 8(9):65-73.
23. Pikal MJ, Rambhatla S, Ramot R. The impact of the freezing stage in lyophilization: effects of the ice nucleation temperature on process design and product quality. Am Pharm Rev. 2002; 5:48-53.
24. Caupin F. Liquid-vapor interface, cavitation, and the phase diagram of water. Phys Rev E-Stat Nonlinear, Soft matter Phys. 2005;71. doi:10.1103/physRevE.71.051605.
25. Wang W. Lyophilization and development of solid protein pharmaceuticals. Int J Pharm. 2000; 203:1-60. doi:10.1016/S0378-5173(00)00423-3.
26. Petzold G, Aguilera JM.Ice morphology: Fundamentals and technological applications in foods. Food Biophys. 2009; 4:378-396. doi:10.1007/s11483-009-913-5.
27. Mockus L, LeBlond D, Basu PK, Shah RB, Khan M A, A QbD case study: A Bayesian prediction of lyophilization cycle parameters. AAPS PharmaSciTech. 2011; 12(1):442-448. Doi: 10.1208/s12249-011-9598-x.
28. Searles JA, Carpenter JF, Randolph TW. The ice nucleation temperature determines the primary drying rate of lyophilization for samples frozen on a temperature-controlled shelf. J Pharm Sci. 2001; 90:860-871.doi:10.1002/jps.1039.
29. Rambhatla S, Ramot R, Bhugra C, Pikal MJ. Heat and mass transfer scale-up issues during freeze drying:II. Control and characterization of the degree of supercooling. AAPS PharmaSciTech. 2004;e58.doi:10.1208/pt050458.
30. Liu J. Physical characterization of pharmaceutical formulations in frozen and freeze-dried solid states: techniques and applications in freeze-drying development. Pharm Dev Technol. 2006;11:3-28.doi:10.1080/10837450500463729.
31. Bhatnagar BS, Bogner RH, Pikal MJ. Protein stability during freezing: separation of stresses and mechanisms of protein stabilization. Pharm Dev Technol.2007;12:505-523.doi:10.1080/10837450701481157.
32. Robert A. Nash AHW. Pharmaceutical Process Validation. 3rd ed. (Robert A.Nash AHW, ed.). Marcel Dekker; 2003.
33. Dzung NT. Optimization The Freeze Drying Process of Penaeus Monodon to Determine the Technological Mode. Int J Chem Eng Appl.2012; 3(3):187-194.
34. Petiti M. Barresi A a., Marchisio DL. CFD modelling of condensers for freeze-dying processes. Sadhana – Acad Proc Eng Sci. 2013; 38(December):1219-1239.doi:10.1007/s12046-013-0155-z.
35. Pikal MJ, Shah S, Royal ML, Putman R. The secondary drying stage of freeze drying: Drying kinetics as a function of temperature and chamber pressure. Int J Pharm.1990; 60:203-217. doi:10.1016/0378-5173(90)90074-E.
36. Sane SU, Hsu CC. Considerations for Successful Lyophilization Process Scale-up, Technology Transfer and Routine production In: Formulation and Process Development Strategies for Manufacturing Biopharmaceuticals; 2010:797-826. doi:10.1002/9780470595886.ch31
37. Kasper JC, Winter G, Friess W. Recent advances and further challenges in lyophilization. Eur J Pharm Biopharm. 2013; 85:162-169. doi:10.1016/j.ejpb.2013.05.019.
40. Himankar Baishya, Lin Shao Hui et al. Lyophilization cycle comparison and scale-up of esomeprazole sodium for injection between lab scale and scale-up batches vs FDM study. IJPSR 2016; 7(11): 4407-4413.
41. Sajel. M. Patel, Takayuki Doen and Michael J Pikal Determination of end point of primary drying in freeze-drying process control, AAPS PharmSciTech 2010; 11(1):73-84
42. Bedu-addo FK. Understanding Lyophilization Formulation Development. Pharmaceutical Technol. 2004:10-18.http://www.pharmtech.com/pharmtech/data/articlestandard/pharmtech/072004/84717/article.pdf.
43. United States Pharmacopeia 40- National formulary 35;2017, Chapetr-659 p.661.2
44. Michael. J. Akers Parenteral preparations, Chapter 26,Remington Essentials of Pharmaceutics edited by Linda Felton, p.495-530
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (SeeÂ The Effect of Open Access).