DESIGN AND DEVELOPMENT OF CONTROLLED POROSITY OSMOTIC TABLETS OF GARCINIA INDICA EXTRACT
The present study deals with the development and evaluation of controlled porosity osmotic pump (CPOP) tablets containing inclusion complexes of ethanolic extract of Garcinia indica fruit rind. Wet granulation method was used for the development of core tablets. Core tablets were incorporated with different concentrations of sodium chloride as osmogen and additives. The CPOP tablets were coated with cellulose acetate as a wall forming material and HPMC acts as pore forming material in SPM. The formulated tablets were evaluated for FTIR, DSC, pre-compression parameters, post compression parameters, in vitro drug release study and scanning electron microscopy study. The optimized formulation had no significant effect on the pH and agitation intensity. SEM images revealed that no pores were found before dissolution and after dissolution had shown the porous nature of the membrane. It was found that the optimized formulation (P4) delivers a drug at a zero-order rate for 24 hours. Short term stability study at 40Â±2ÂºC /75Â±5% RH for the months on the optimized formulation indicated that there was no significant change in weight variation, % friability, drug content and in vitro drug release.
Keywords: Osmotic system, cellulose acetate, pore former, controlled porosity, Garcinia indica
2. Verma RK, Krishna DM, Garg S. 'Formulation Aspects In The Development Of Osmotically Controlled Oral Drug Delivery Systems.'J Control Rel., 2002; 7(9):7-27.
3. Zentner GM, Rork GS, Himmelsteic KJ., Controlled Porosity Osmotic Pump , U.S. Patent 1999
4. Liu L, Ku J, Khang G, Lee B, Rhee JM, Lee HB. 'Nifedipine Controlled Delivery by Sandwiched Osmotic Tablet System.' J Control Rel., 2000; 6(8):145-156.
5. Makhija S. N, Vavia P. R. Controlled Porosity Osmotic Pump-Based Controlled Release System of Pseudoephedrine. ', J Control Rel, 2003; 8(9):5-18.
6. Sahoo C. K., Rao SRM, Sudhakar M. 'Formulation and Evaluation of Controlled Porosity Osmotic Pump Tablets for Zidovudine and Lamivudine Combination using Fructose as Osmogen', Journal of Drug Delivery and Therapeutics, 2017; 7(4):41-50. doi:10.22270/jddt.v7i4.1465
7. Jagtap P., Bhise K., Vijayalakshmi P. 'A Phytopharmacological Review On Garcinia Indica ', International Journal Of Herbal Medicine , 2015; 3(4):02-07
8. Jagtap P., Vijayalakshmi P., Bhise K., 'Phytochemical Characterization And Cytotoxic Evaluation Of Methanolic Extract Of Garcinia Indica Fruit Rind; International J Of Pharmacognosy, 2017; 4(11):372-377
9. Banerjee A, Verma PRP, Gore S. Controlled porosity solubility modulated osmotic pump tablets of Gliclazide.AAPS Pharm Sci Tech 2015; 16(3):554-568.
10. Loftsson T and Brewster ME. Pharmaceutical application of cyclodextrin in drug solubilisation and stabilization. J Pharm Sci 1996; 85:1017-25.
11. Kamal D, Ramana MD, Himaja M, Agarwal A and Garg V. Investigation of enhancement of solubility of norfloxacin beta cyclodextrin in presence of acidic solubilizing additives. Curr Drug Deliv 2007; 4:21-5.
12. Ghosh T., Ghosh A., Thimmasetty J., Development and Biopharmaceutical Evaluation of Controlled Porosity Osmotic Formulations of Silymarin Î²-Cyclodextrin Inclusion Complex, Ijppr.Human, 2016; 7 (1):276-292.
13. Mehramizi A., Asgari Monfared E., Pourfarzib M., Bayati Kh. 'M Influence of Î’-Cyclodextrin Complexation on Lovastatin Release From Osmotic Pump Tablets (OPT) ',DARU, 2007; 15(2):71-78.
14. Padhye S, Ahmad A, Oswal N. and Sarkar FH, 'Emerging Role of Garcinol, the antioxidant Chalcone From Garcinia indica Choisy and Its Synthetic Analogs', Journal of Hematology & Oncology, 2009; 2(3):1-13.
15. Jagtap P., Awargaonkar A, Kuchekar S., Bhise K. 'Formulation and Evaluation of Controlled Porosity Osmotic Pump Tablet of Ranitidine Hydrochloride Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 2010; 3(4):1205-1208.
16. Nikhil P. Mahalpure, Sheetal B. Gondkar, Shalaka P. Rasal, Ravindra B. Saudagar 'Development of Controlled Porosity Osmotic Pump Tablet Of Linagliptin ', World Journal Of Pharmacy And Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2017; 6(6):765-777
17. Elchidana PA, Deshpande SG 'Microporous Membrane - Drug Delivery System for Indomethacin. J. Controlled Release, 1999, 5(9):279â€“285
18. Verma RK, Garg S. 'Development and Evaluation of Osmotically Controlled Oral Drug Delivery System of Glipizide.â€™ European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, 2004; 5(7):513â€“525.
19. Rahul D., Kumar A. And Pathak K.'Solubility-Modulated Asymmetric Membrane Tablets Of Triprolidine Hydrochloride: Statistical Optimization and Evaluation AAPS Pharmscitech, 2012; 13(1):1-8.
20. Moore JW, Flanner HH 'Mathematical Comparison of Dissolution Profiles. Pharm Technol, 1996; 20:64-74.
21. Kumaravelrajan R, Narayanan N, Suba V. 'Development and Evaluation of Controlled Porosity Osmotic Pump For Nifedipine And Metoprolol Combination. Lipids in Health and Disease, 2011; 10(5):1-10.
22. Kanagale P.,Lohray B., Misra A. 'Formulation And Optimization Of Porous Osmotic Pumpâ€“Based Controlled Release System Of Oxybutynin', 2007; 8(3):1-7
23. Cartensen JT. Drug stability: Principle and practices, Marcel Dakker, New York, 2nd ed. 1995; 538-550.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (SeeÂ The Effect of Open Access).