WOUND HEALING ACTIVITY OF THE HYDRO-ALCOHOLIC EXTRACT OF DATURA STRAMONIUM LEAVES IN WISTAR ALBINO RATS
Datura Stramonium has been known for many potential uses. Leaves of datura are used in herbal medicine especially in case of Ayurveda for asthma and bonesetting. Roasted leaves is applied over the area of relieve pain. Leaves and leaves are used in antiasthematic, antispasmodic, hypnotic & narcotic. The hydro-alcoholic extract of Datura Stramonium leaves were investigated for wound healing potential in rats. Datura Stramonium leaves were dried, crushed in coarse powder hydro-alcoholic extract was obtained and turned to 10% ointment form. In the course of this study, 18 male wistar albino rats weighing approximately 150- 180g were used in this research. Group 1 as control group, Group 2 as reference control were treated topically with Povidone-Iodine Ointment USP, Group3 as test control were treated with 10% Datura Stramonium ointment. Wound healing was monitored on days 4,8,12,16 and histopathological evaluation was carried out on the samples. Leaf extract of Datura Stramonium promotes wound healing via bactericidal activity.
2. Nayak BS, Ramdeen R, Adogwa A, Ramsubhag A, Marshall JR , Wound-healing potential of an ethanol extract of Carica papaya (Caricaceae) leaves, Int Wound J, 2012, 9, 650-655.
3. Patil S, Ghodke DS, Magdum CS, Evaluation of healing activity of marketed formulations on excision wounds models in Albino rats, Int J PharmTech Res, 2009, 1, 500-501.
4. Chitra P, Sajithal G B, Chanrakaran G, Influence of Aloe Vera on collagen turnover in healing of dermal wounds in rats, IJEB, 1998, 36, 896-901.
5. Pandey M, Worlikar P S, Comparison of wound healing activity of Jethimadh with Triphala in rats, IJHAS, 2012, 1, 59-63.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).