ANTI-ANAEMIC ACTIVITY OF HYDRO-ALCOHOLIC LEAF EXTRACT OF LUFFA AEGYPTIACA IN PHENYLHYDRAZINE INDUCED ANEMIC RATS
The main aim of the current study is to determine the anti-anaemic activity in hydro-alcoholic leaf extract of Luffa aegyptiaca in phenylhydrazine induced anemic rats. Phenylhydrazine (60mg/kg) was administered intraperitoneally in rats for 2 days to induce anemia. The animals were divided into 5 groups containing 6 animals each. 1st group was served as normal control group, 2nd group was served as anaemic control administered with phenylhydrazine for two days, 3rd group was served as standard reference control administered with Vitamin B12 complex, 4th group was served as test control administered with 100 mg/kg of hydro-alcoholic leaf extract of Luffa aegyptiaca and 5th group was served as test control administered with 200mg/kg of hydro-alcoholic leaf extract of Luffa aegyptica. All the test drugs were given for 28 days daily through oral route. On 29th day blood was withdrawn, through tail puncture and subjected to the determination of RBC, Hb and percentage Haematocrit. Both the hydro-alcoholic leaf extract of Luffa aegyptiacaand Vit. B12 significantly increase the HB, RBC & % HCT level which indicates that Luffa aegyptiaca leaf exhibitsâ€™ the anti-anaemic activity.
2. Khandelwal KR, Practical Pharmacognosy, Nirali prakashan, Pune, 2013, 22nd ed., 20-24.
3. http://www.who.int/topics/anaemia/en/ cited: 25-08-2017.
4. Joshi A, Anti-anemic activity of hydro alcoholic leaf extract of Tamarindus Indica in phenylhydrazine induced anemic rats, JOHR, 2017,5, 132-135.
5. Kushwah H, Anti-Anemic activity of Hydro-alcoholic extract of Calotropis procera flower on phenylhydrazine- induced anemic rats, International Journal of Comprehensive and Advanced Pharmacology, IJCAP, 2017, 2, 6-10.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).