ANTIOXIDANT AND ANTIFUNGAL ACTIVITY OF SOME MEDICINAL PLANT EXTRACTS
In this study, the antioxidant and antifungal activities of extracts of Tabernaemontana alternifolia, Thuja occidantalis and Cajanus cajan were recognized. Total yields, radical scavenging activity and the antioxidant property of the extracts were investigated. The free radical scavenging activities of extract was documented as 41.3 Â± 2.1 to 76.9 Â± 6.1%, likewise. The antioxidant capacity of extracts was recognized between 153.4 Â± 10.1 to 336.7 Â± 24.2 mg/g extract. This extract was explored for antifungal activity by paper disc method against 2 fungi by using flucanazole as a standard drug. The 0.5 % level of Tabernaemontana alternifolia extract exhibited 100% inhibition till the 7th day of incubation when compare to control (Ascorbic acid). Statistical variances within fungi were significant at p<0.05. The extract was to some extent effective against all the fungi used in experiment.
2. Ghosh, R, Deb P, A study on antioxidant properties of different bioactive compounds. Journal of Drug Delivery and Therapeutics, 2014; 4(2):105-115. doi:10.22270/jddt.v4i2.772
3. Hsieh PC Mau JL, Huang SH, Antimicrobial effect of various combinations of plant extracts, food microbiology, 2001, 18, 35-43.
4. Biavati B, Ã–zcan M, Piccaglia R, Composition and antimicrobial properties of Satureja cuneifolia Ten and Thymbra sintenisii Bornm.et Aznar. Subsp. isaurica P.H. Davis essential oils, Annals of Microbiol, 2004, 54(4), 393-401.
5. Ãœnver A, Arslan D, Ã–zcan MM, Akbulut M, The antioxidant activity and total phenolic content of some spices, World Appl Sci J, 2009, 6(3), 373-377.
6. Erkmen O, Ozcan M, Antimicrobial effects of essential oils on growth of bacteria, yeasts and molds, J Essent Oil Bear Plants, 2004, 7(3), 279-287.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (SeeÂ The Effect of Open Access).