EXPLORING PHYTOCHEMICALS AND PHARMACOLOGICAL USES OF CORDIA DICHOTOMA (INDIAN CHERRY): A REVIEW
The use of phytoconstituents single or combined with standard medicines has been utilized in cure of different diseases. Many plants of genus Cordia comprise of trees and shrubs are widely distributed in warmer regions and have been utilized in management of various diseases. Various phytoconstituents like flavonoids, alkaloids, terpenes, tannins, and glyceridess having different activities were screened and isolated from different parts of C. dichotoma. Various important Pharmacological properties including Antiulcer, Contraceptives, anti-inflammatory, anthelmintic, analgesic, anticancer, Antioxidant, antimicrobial, hepatoprotective, antidiabetic and others have been well documented for this plant.Â Therefore, we have briefly reviewed the various bioactivities of C. dichotoma to improve our knowledge on plant phytochemicals as therapeutic entities. The present review describes the various phytoconstituents and therapeutic potential of C. dichotoma that can be followed for future research on this plant for human health benefits.Keywords: Cordia Dichotoma, phytoconstituents, Antioxidant, Antimicrobial, Antifertility, Traditional medicine
2. Bhattacharya P, Saha A. Evaluation of reversible contraceptive potential of Cordia dichotoma leaves extract. Rev. Bras. Farmacogn. 2013; 23(2):342-350.
3. Jamkhande PG, Barde SR, Patwekar SL, Tidke PS. Plant profile, phytochemistry and pharmacology of Cordia dichotoma (Indian cherry): A review, Asian Pac J Trop Biomed 2013; 3(12):1009-1012.
4. Hussain N, Kakoti BB. Review on ethno botany and psychopharmacology of Cordia dichotoma. Journal of Drug Delivery and Therapeutics 2013; 3(1):110-113.
5. Mahasweta R, Kumar B, Kumar N, Patel A, Kumar B. Antioxidant activity of taxifolin obtained from methanolic extracts of C. dichotoma Linn. seeds. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2014; 5(7):2896-2901.
6. Singh R, Lawania RD, Mishra A, Gupta R. Role of Cordia dichotoma seeds and leaves extract in degenerative disorders. Int. J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2010; 2(1):21-24
7. Awad AB, Chinnman M, Fink CS, Bradford PG. Beta-sitosterol activates Fas signaling in human breast cancer cells. Phytomed 2007; 14:747-754.
8. Consolacion YR, Virgilio EJ, Mariquit MDLR, Emelina HM, Maria CST, Robert B, et al. Chemical Constituents of Cordia dichotoma G. Forst., Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science 2015; 5 Suppl 2:016-021
9. Pankaj B. Nariya, Nayan R. Bhalodia, Vinay J. Shukla, Rabinarayan Acharya, Mukesh B. Nariya, In vitro evaluation of antioxidant activity of Cordia dichotoma (Forst f.) bark, AYU 2013; 34(1):124-128
10. Nariya PB, Bhalodia NR, Shukla VJ, Acharya RN. Antimicrobial and antifungal activities of Cordia dichotoma (Forester F.) bark extracts. AYU 2011; 32:585-589.
11. Thirupathi K, Kumar SS, Raju VS, Ravikumar B, Krishna DR, Mohan GK. A review of medicinal plants of the genus Cordia: their chemistry and pharmacological uses. J Nat Rem 2008; 8(1):1-10.
12. Sharma A, Bhardwaj S, Mann AS, Jain A, Kharya MD. Screening Methods of Antoxidant Activity: An Overview, Phcog Rev 2007; 2:232-238.
13. Venkateswarlu S, Ramachandra MS, Krishnaraju AV, Trimurtulu G, Subbaraju GV. Antioxidant and antimicrobial activity evaluation of polyhydroxycinnamic acid ester derivatives. Indian J Chem 2006; 45B:252-257.
14. Nguyen AT, Malonne H, Duez P, Vanhaelen-Fastre R, Vanhaelen M, Fontaine J. Cytotoxic constituents from Plumbago zeylanica. Fitoterapia 2004; 75:500-504.
15. Al-Musayeib N, Shagufta P, Fatima I, Nasir M, Hussain A. Antioxidant, Anti-Glycation and Anti-Inflammatory Activities of Phenolic Constituents from Cordia sinensis. Molecules 2011; 16:10214-10226.
16. Gaurav S, Navneet N, Sandeep R, Singh P, Porwal A, Nagpal MA, et al. Effect of aqueous leaves extract of Cordia dichotoma on blood glucose levels of normoglycemic & alloxan induced diabetic wister rats. Int J Pharm Res Dev 2010; 2:13-14.
17. Basu NG, Ghosal PK, Thakur S. Structural studies on a polysaccharide fraction from the fruits of Cordia dichofoma Forst. Carbohydr Res 1984;131:149-155
18. Scheeren L.W, Schneider PSP, Schneider PR, Finger CAG. Crescimentodo louro-pardo, Cordia trichotoma (Vell.) Arrab. ex Steud., na DepressÃ£o Centraldo estado do Rio Grande do Sul. CiÃªncia Florestal 2002; 12:169-176.
19. Panghal M, Kaushal V, Yadav JP. In vitro antimicrobial activity of tenmedicinal plants against clinical isolates of oral cancer cases. Ann. Clin. Micro-biol. Antimicrob 2011a:10:21.
20. Kumari RM, Thapa N, Gupta N, Kumar A, Nimesh S. Antibacterial and photocatalytic degradation efficacy of silver nanoparticles biosynthesized using Cordia dichotoma leaf extract, Adv. Nat. Sci.: Nanosci. Nanotechnol. 2016;7:045009(8pp)
21. Khan S, Patel A, Bhise K. Antioxidant activity of pomegranate peel powder. Journal of Drug Delivery and Therapeutics, 20172017; 7(2):81-84. doi:10.22270/jddt.v7i2.1380
22. Ghosh R, Deb P. A study on antioxidant properties of different bioactive compounds, Journal of Drug Delivery and Therapeutics 2014;4(2):105-115
23. Killedar S, More H, Mali S, Nadaf S, Salunkhe S, Karade R. Phytochemical screening and in vitro antioxidant potential of memecylon umbellatum burm leaf extracts, Journal of Drug Delivery & Therapeutics 2014; 4(2):30-35
24. Kaur C, Kapoor HC. Anti-oxidant activity and total phenolics content of some Asian vegetables, Int J Food Sci Technol 2002; 37:153-61.
25. Shuge T, Feng L, Zhang X, Upur H. Phytochemical composition and antioxidant capacity of Cordia dichotoma seeds, Pak. J. Pharm. Sci 2014; 27(5):1123-1129
26. Wang Y, Kazuhiro O, Ryoji K, Kazuo Y. Nat. Medicines 1996; 50(5):367.
27. Wassel G, El-Menshaw B, Saud A, Meharuna G. and El-Merzabani M. Screening of selected plant for Pyrrolizidine alkaloids and antitumor activity, Pharmazine 1987; 42:709.
28. Boparai A, Niazi J, Bajwa N, Singh PA, A review update on Dillenia Indica F. Elongata (MIQ.) MIQ. Journal of Drug Delivery and Therapeutics. 2016; 6(2):62-70 doi:10.22270/jddt.v6i2.1226
29. Thirupathi K, Kumar SS, Goverdhan P, Ravikumar B, Krishna D, Mohan GK, Hepatoprotective Action of Cordia dichotoma Against Carbon Tetrachloride Induced Liver Injury In Rats, Nigerian J Nat. Products and Medicine 2007;11:37-40.
30. Dakappa S, Adhikari R, Timilsina S, Sajjekhan S. A review on the medicinal plant psidium guajava linn. (Myrtaceae). Journal of Drug Delivery and Therapeutics, 2013; 3(2):162-168. doi:10.22270/jddt.v3i2.404
31. Shibeshi W, Makonnen E, Zerihun L, Debella A. Effect of achyranthes aspera L. on fetal abortion, uterine and pituitary weights, serum lipids and hormones, African Health Sciences 2006;6(2):108-112
32. Sharma P, Manjusha, Rani S, Malhotra H, Nitesh, Deswal S, et al. Antifertility potential of hydroalcoholic extract of Cordia dichotoma G Forst. Leaves: A folklore medicine used by Meena community in Rajasthan state in India, Asian Pacific Journal of Reproduction 2015; 4(2):100-105.
33. Katolkar PP, Wanjari BE, Nimbekar TP, Duragkar NJ. Antiimplantation activity of the methanolic extract of Cordia dichotoma Lam. barks in rats. Int J Biomed & Adv Res 2012; 3:202-204.
34. Shahapurkar AA, Jayanthi. Drug neomycin release from Cordia dichotoma transdermal film and anti-inflammatory activity. Int Res J Pharm 2011; 2(9):107-109.
35. Sharma VK, Asati DP. Pediatric contact dermatitis. Indian J. Dermatol.Venereol. Leprol 2010; 76:514-520.
36. Gupta R, Kaur J. Evaluation of analgesic, antipyretic and anti-inflammatory activity on Cordia dichotoma G. Forst. Leaf, Pharmacognosy Res 2015; 7(1):126-130.
37. Kuppasta IJ, Nayak PV. Wound healing activity of Cordia dichotoma Forst. Fruits. Natural Products Radiance 2006; 5(2):99-102.
38. Niranjan P, Kaushal C, Jain, S. Pharmacological investigation of leaves of polypodium decumanum for antidiabetic activity. Journal of Drug Delivery and Therapeutics, 2017; 7(4):69-72. doi:10.22270/jddt.v7i4.1468
39. Holman RR, Turner RC. Oral agents and insulin in the treatment of NIDDM. In: Pickup J, Williams G, editors. Textbook of Diabetes. Oxford: Blackwell; 1991. p. 467-469.
40. Niranjan P, Kaushal C, Jain S. Pharmacological investigation of leaves of polypodium decumanum for antidiabetic activity. Journal of Drug Delivery and Therapeutics, 2017; 7(4):69-72. doi:10.22270/jddt.v7i4.1468
41. Swarnkar R, Kaushal C, Jain S, Hypoglycaemic activity of centratherum anthelminticu in experimental animals. Journal of Drug Delivery and Therapeutics, 2017; 7(4):73-77. doi:10.22270/jddt.v7i4.1472
42. Day C. Traditional plants treatments for diabetes mellitus: Pharmaceutical Foods., Brit. J. Nutr. 1998; 80:5-6.
43. Sulieman AM, El-Newary SA. Hypolipidemic Effect of Cordia dichotoma Forst. Pulp in High-fat Diet-Fed Rats, World Journal of Dairy & Food Sciences 2014; 9(2):260-271.
44. Owen RW, Giacosa A, Hull WE, Haubner R, Spiegelhalder B, Bartsch H. The antioxidant/ anticancer potential of phenolic compounds isolated from olive oil. Eur J Cancer 2000; 36:1235-47
45. Rahman MA, Hussain A. Anticancer activity and apoptosis inducing effect of methanolic extract of Cordia dichotoma against human cancer cell line, Bangladesh J Pharmacol 2015; 10:27-34
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).