BENEFIT OF TOPIRAMATE IN THE TREATMENT OF SYMPTOMS OF BORDERLINE PERSONALITY DISORDER: A TYPICAL REVIEW
Topiramate is a new antiepileptic drug (AED) that has been approved worldwide (in more than 80 countries) for the treatment of various kinds of epilepsy. It is currently being evaluated for its effect in various neurological and psychiatric disorders. Topiramate is used alone or with other medications to prevent and control seizures (epilepsy). This medication is also used to prevent migraine headaches and decrease how often you get them. The present review includes all available information like pharmacokinetics, pharmacological action and side effects. Moreover sometimes it is necessary to monitor the therapeutic concentration of Topiramate. The pharmacokinetics of topiramate are characterised by linear pharmacokinetics over the dose range 100-800 mg, low oral clearance (22-36 mL/min), which, in immunotherapy, is predominantly through renal excretion (renal clearance 10-20 mL/min), and a long half-life (19-25 hours), which is reduced when co administered with inducing AEDs such as phenytoin, phenobarbital and carbamazepine. This paper provides a critical review of the pharmacokinetic interactions of topiramate with old and new AEDs, an oral contraceptive, and the CNS-active drugs lithium, haloperidol, amitriptyline, risperidone, sumatriptan, propranolol and dihydroergotamine. The results of many of these drug interaction studies with topiramate have not been published before, and are presented and discussed for the first time in this article.
Keywords: Antiepileptic drug, bipolar disorder, epilepsy, migraine, obesity, seizures, substance abuse, topiramate, weight loss.
2. Shorvon SD. Safety of topiramate: adverse events and relationships to dosing. Epilepsia. 1996.
3. Newman LC, Broner SW, Lay CL. Reversible anorgasmia with topiramate therapy for migraine. Neurology 2005; 65: 1333-4.
4. Bjoro K, Gjerstad L, Bentdal O, Osnes S, Schrumpf E. Topiramate and fulminant liver failure. Lancet 1998; 352: 11-19.
5. Westergren T, Hjelmeland K, Kristoffersen B. Probable topiramate-induced diarrhea in a 2-month-old breast-fed child - A case report. Epilepsy Behav Case Report. 2014; 2: 22-3.
6. Ohman I, Luef G, Tomson T. Topiramate kinetics during lactation. Epilep 2007; 48:156-7.
7. Marcotte D. Use of topiramate, a new anti-epileptic as a mood stabilizer. J Affect Disord 1998; 50:245-251.
8. Sabers A, Gram L. Drug treatment of epilepsy in the 1990s: Achievements and new developments. Drugs 1996; 52:483-493.
9. Ghaemi S, Goodwin F. Use of atypical antipsychotic agents in bipolar and schizoaffective disorders: review of the empirical literature. J Clin Psychopharmacol 1999; 19:354-361.
10. Calabrese JR, Keck PE, Jr, McElroy SL, Shelton MD. A pilot study of topiramate as mono therapy in the treatment of acute mania. J Clin Psychopharmacol 2001; 21:340-342.
11. Chengappa KN, Rathore D, Levine J, Atzert R, Solai L, Parepally H, et al. Topiramate as add on treatment for patients with bipolar mania. Bipolar Disord 1999; 1:42-53.
12. Grunze HC, Normann C, Langosch J, Schaefer M, Amann B, Sterr A, et al. Antimanic efficacy of topiramate in 11 patients in an open trial with an on-off-on design. J Clin Psychiatry 2001; 62:464-468.
13. McElroy SL, Suppes T, Keck PE, Frye MA, Denicoff KD, Altshuler LL, et al. Open-label adjunctive topiramate in the treatment of bipolar disorders. Biol Psychiatry 2000; 47:1025-1033.
14. Vieta E, Gilabert A, Rodriguez A, Garcia-Castrillon A, Luna MJ, Arrufat E, et al. Effectiveness and safety of topiramate in treatment-resistant bipolar disorder. Actas Espanolas de Psiquiatria 2001; 29:148-152
15. McIntyre R, Mancini D, McCann S, Srinivasan J, Kennedy S. Topiramate vs. bupropion SR added to mood stabilizer therapy for the depressive phase of bipolar disorder: A single blind study (abstract). Annual meeting of the Society of Neuropsychoendocrinology, Rhodes, Greece, 2000; 16:11-18.
16. Eads LA, Kramer T, Wooten G. Effects of topiramate on global functioning in treatment-refractory mood disorders (abstract). 22nd Congress of the Collegium International Psychopharmacologicum, Brussels, Belgium, 2000.
17. Vieta E, Gilabert A, Rodriguez A, Garcia-Castrillon A, Luna MJ, Arrufat F, et al. Topiramate in the adjunctive treatment of refractory bipolar disorder. 22nd Congress of the Collegium Internationale Psychopharmacologicum, Brussels, Belgium, 2010.
18. Sachs GS, Demopulos C, Ghaemi SN, Sambur M, Cosgrove V, Gaughan S, et al. Topiramate in the treatment of refractory bipolar mood disorder. 22nd Congress of the Collegium Internationale Psychopharmacologicum, Brussels, Belgium, 2010.
19. Plon L, Maguire G, Singh P. Topiramate in the treatment of refractory bipolar disorder. Ninth Congress of the International Psychogeriatric Association, Vancouver, Canada, August 1999.
20. Kusumakar V, Yatham L, Kutcher S, O'Donovan C. Use of topiramate in rapid-cycling bipolar women. Ninth Congress of the International Psychogeriatric Association, Vancouver, Canada, 1999.
21. Hahn MK, Cohn T, Teo C, Remington G. Topiramate in schizophrenia: a review of effects on psychopathology and metabolic parameters. Clinical schizophrenia & related psychoses 2013; 4: 186â€“96.
22. Lainez MJ, Pascual J, Pascual AM, Santonja JM, Ponz A, Salvador. Topiramate in the prophylactic treatment of cluster headache. Headache 2013; 43: 784â€“9.
23. Hunt S, Russell A, Smithson WH, Parsons L, Robertson I, Waddell RJ. Topiramate in pregnancy: preliminary experience from the UK Epilepsy and Pregnancy Register". Neuro 2014; 71: 272â€“6.
24. Kashyap R, Subrahmanyam EVS, Sharbaraya AR. Development and validation of new colorimetric method for the estimation of topiramate in bulk and dosage form. Inter j of pharm and tech 2012; 4: 3974-3989.
25. Brandt C, Elsner H, Furatsch N. Topiramate overdose: a case report of a patient with extremely high topiramate serum concentrations and nonconvulsive status epilepticus. Epilep 201551: 1090â€“1093.
26. Mirza Nasir, Marson Anthony G, Pirmohamed Munir. Effect of topiramate on acid-base balance: extent, mechanism and effects. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology 2012, 68: 655â€“61.
27. Kashyap R, Subrahmanyam EVS & Sharbaraya AR. Review on Topiramate and Available Analytical Methods. Inter J of Pharma and Chemical Sci 2012; 2:877-883.
28. William RG. Clinical Pharmacology of Topiramate: A Review Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia International League Against Epilepsy Epilepsiu 2000; 41:S61-S65.
29. Gisclon LG, Curtin CR. The pharmacokinetics (PK) of topiramate (T) in subjects with end-stage renal disease undergoing hemodialysis. Clin Pharmacol Ther 1994; 55:196-203.
30. Doose DR, Walker SA, Venkataramanan R, Rabinovitz M, Lever J. Topiramate pharmacokinetics in subjects with liver impairment. Pharm Res 1994; l l: S446.
31. Doose DR, Walker SA, Baldassarre J. The effect of food on the oral bioavailability of topiramate from an investigational pediatric sprinkle formulation. Epilepsiu 1997; 38: 147-153.
32. Gaetano Zaccara, Dieter Schmidt. Do traditional anti-seizure drugs have a future? A review of potential anti-seizure drugs in clinical development. Pharma Res 2016; 104:38â€“48.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (SeeÂ The Effect of Open Access).