DIABETIC RETINOPATHY: IMPORTANCE OF PRIMARY CARE PHYSCIAN IN SCREENING

  • Naveen Kumar Tamma Department of Pharmacology, Apollo Institute of Medical Sciences and Research , Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India
  • T Naga Reddy Department of Ophthalmology, Melaka Manipal Medical college, Jalan Batu Hampar, Bukit Baru, Melaka, Malaysia
  • N Radha Kishan Department of Biochemistry, Apollo Institute of Medical Sciences and Research , Hyderabad , Andhra Pradesh, India

Abstract

Objective: The  objective of   this study  is  importance  of  primary care physician in screening  diabetic  retinopahy   patientsMaterial and  Methods  : Patients of  type-2  diabetes mellitus  attending  diabetic clinic in melaka  manipal  medical college , malaysia were  prospectively  reviewed. Risk factors associated   in  study  population were  assessed  by  biochemical parameters, clinical examination  , retinal photographs  and  referred  to  ophthalmology  clinic.

Results: The  prevalence of  non  proliferative and  proliferative diabetic retinopathy  with  type-2 diabetic  patients  was 17%  and 1%   with  history of decreased  in vision  above age group of  50 years  . In addition  the  risk  factors  in the  study group  associated with  the  development  of diabetic retinopathy  are   uncontrolled  HbA1c  levels (  27%) , high BMI  (38%  ),  increased total cholesterol (9% )  , uncontrolled fasting blood sugar levels (47%),   and  increased  duration of diabetes.

Conclusion: Diabetic  retinopahy  is highly prevalent in patients with type-2 diabetes mellitus. Our findings  indicates  primary care physicians  are   well educated  in regards to diabetic eye disease  and  in identification  of  risk factors due  to  number of  years experience.

Keywords:  Proliferative and non proliferative diabetic retinopathy, risk factors, visual disability, type -2 diabetes mellitus

 

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.

Author Biographies

Naveen Kumar Tamma, Department of Pharmacology, Apollo Institute of Medical Sciences and Research , Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India
Department of Pharmacology, Apollo Institute of  Medical Sciences and Research , Hyderabad,  Andhra Pradesh,  India
T Naga Reddy, Department of Ophthalmology, Melaka Manipal Medical college, Jalan Batu Hampar, Bukit Baru, Melaka, Malaysia
Department of Ophthalmology, Melaka Manipal Medical college, Jalan Batu Hampar, Bukit Baru, Melaka, Malaysia
N Radha Kishan, Department of Biochemistry, Apollo Institute of Medical Sciences and Research , Hyderabad , Andhra Pradesh, India
Department of Biochemistry, Apollo Institute of  Medical Sciences and Research ,    Hyderabad , Andhra Pradesh,  India
Statistics
84 Views | 100 Downloads
How to Cite
1.
Tamma NK, Reddy T, Radha Kishan N. DIABETIC RETINOPATHY: IMPORTANCE OF PRIMARY CARE PHYSCIAN IN SCREENING. JDDT [Internet]. 15Jul.2015 [cited 17Feb.2020];5(4):14-6. Available from: http://jddtonline.info/index.php/jddt/article/view/1158