AN ANALYTICAL REVIEW ON NUTOOL (IRRIGATION) THERAPY
Nutool therapy, also known as irrigation is a popular mode of treatment in Unani medicine which refers to the pouring or dripping of drugs on body parts. Usually decoctions of drugs and medicated oils etc are used for this purpose. The benefits achieved are an amalgamation of neurological effects, psychological effects and pharmacological actions of the drugs used. Nutool plays an especially important role in diseases where it is required to alter the temperament of an organ, to disperse toxic humors or to strengthen an organ. The procedure is carried out on a daily basis for a fortnight to achieve sustained results. It is specifically useful as an adjuvant treatment in the management of CNS disorders like headache, insomnia, migraine, amnesia, melancholia, vertigo, epilepsy etc; also in certain other disorders like cystitis, mastitis, arthralgia etc. For this purpose, specific drug formulations have been prescribed in Unani texts to be used for nutool therapy. The need of the hour is to further evaluate these age-old prescriptions on modern parameters.
Keywords: Nutool, Sukoob, anxiolysis, temperament.
2. Kabiruddin M. Kulliyat-e-Qanoon. Pakistan, Lahore: Sheikh Mohd Bashir and Sons. 1930. vol. 1&2. p. 311.
3. Geelani G. Makhzanul Murakkabat. New Delhi: Aijaz Publishing House. 1995. p. 382-4.
4. Mushtaq S, Jabeen A, Fasihuzzaman, Mushtaq M, Jilani S, Nikhat S, Alam S. Insomnia nad its management in Unani Medicine. Int J Adv Pharmacy Med Bioallied Sci 2014;2(1):51-3.
5. Kumar SH, Neetu S, Dutta SV, Vyas PP. An Approach to Understand the Mechanism of Action of Shirodhara. TEJAS: The Edgy Journal of Alive Sciences 2014; 2(2):39-42.
6. Uebaba K, Xu FH, Tagawa M, Asakura R, Itou T, Tatsuse T, Taguchi Y, Ogawa H, Shimabayashi M, Hisajima T. Using a healing robot for the scientific study of shirodhara. Altered states of consciousness and decreased anxiety through Indian dripping oil treatments. IEEE Eng Med Biol Mag 2005 Mar-Apr;24(2):69-78.
7. Uebaba K, Xu FH, Ogawa H, Tatsuse T, Wang BH, Hisajima T, Venkatraman S. Psychoneuroimmunologic effects of Ayurvedic oil-dripping treatment. J Altern Complement Med 2008 Dec;14(10):1189-98.
8. Xu F, Uebaba K, Ogawa H, Tatsuse T, Wang BH, Hisajima T, Venkatraman S. Pharmaco-physio-psychologic effect of Ayurvedic oil-dripping treatment using an essential oil from Lavendula angustifolia. J Altern Complement Med. 2008 Oct;14(8):947-56.
9. Jahan M, Sherwani AMK, Ahmed V, Firdose FK, Ansari AN, Jahan N. An interventional trial to evaluate efficacy of Nutool Therapy in control of Primary insomnia among elderly using Structured Insomnia schedule. Int Res J Med Sci 2014;2(2):1-6.
10. Fazil M, Akram M, Kapoor P. General Hypochondriasis in Diabetes Mellitus Type-II (DM-II): Implications for Clinicians. GJMEDPH 2013;2(3):1-11.
11. Haji A, Anwar M, Ansari AN, Sofi G, Shah AH. Effect of massage with roghan seer in motor recovery in hemiplegia secondary to ischaemic stroke. Indian journal of traditional knowledge 2011;10(4):731-5.
12. Khan A. Al-Ikseer (Md. Siddiqui, trans.) New Delhi: Daftar-ul-Masih;1904. vol-1. p. 55, 68-9, 73, 77, 147, 175, 197-8, 220, 263, 280, 554.
13. Ibn Sina. Al Qanoon Fil Tibb (GH Kinturi, trans). Lahore: Book Printers. 1992. vol. 3(1). p. 49, 67, 71
14. Jurjani AH. Zakhira Khwar-zam Shahi (H. H. Khan, trans). India, Lucknow: Munshi Nawal Kishore. 1903. vol. 2(6). p. 31, 39, 50, 537, 550
15. Khan AS. Misbah-ul-Advia. New Delhi: Abdus Samad Khan. 1993. p. 138.
16. Tabri M. Al-Moalijat Al-Buqratiyah (CCRUM, trans) New Delhi: CCRUM; 1995. vol. 1. p. 176, 372-3, 383, 395, 424
17. Tabri R. Firdaus Al-Hikmat (Md. A. S. Sambhali, trans). Pakistan, Lahore: Sheikh Mohd. Basheer and Sons. 1996. p. 142-3, 163
18. Khan A. Haziq. New Delhi. 1983. p. 395.
19. Zuhr I. Kitab-al-Taisir. (CCRUM, trans) 1st ed. New Delhi: CCRUM. 1986. p. 164
20. Baghdadi IH. Kitab Al-Mukhtarat Fit-Tibb (CCRUM, trans). New Delhi: CCRUM; 2004. vol. 3. p. 13, 119
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).